Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

We've been in Brisbane Queensland 6 months now, and in the end, I'm still not 100% happy here in Australia, nor is my wife. Great weather and beaches but its missing something. I sometimes wonder why I bothered for.
I'm thinking of returning home.

Alistair

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

You've been there 6 months, so you just about missed another wet summer...
You're still in the early stages of adaptation to your new life, if you don't like it there, check Victoria, check SA (both with 4 seasons), make sure you give Australia a chance before going home.
Usually it takes 2 years until you feel it's home.

You might get to the UK (a few thousand pounds poorer) and miss Australia and then decide to go back but to another region, spare yourself being a "Ping Pong Pom" and wasting a fortune.
Give Australia a good try and then if you want you can always go back to the UK.

Just my 2pc...

Good luck with your decision!
Busyte

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Alistair,

Why did you bother? By that I mean why did you leave the UK in the first place? Think about your reasons for leaving and think about whether they have changed. Only you can decide that.

Australia doesn't seem right for some people - I don't know why since I love it here :)

We knew our reasons for leaving the UK and they have not changed and neither myself or my husband could ever imagine living back there. We did come here with the attitude that this was our new home, and if for some reason we didn't like Mt Gambier then we would move on to somewhere else. Australia is a BIG place and full of variety with seasons, big cities, regional areas etc.

Try to work out what's missing for you both.
Is it family? Some people don't realise that they would miss their family so much.
Did you switch one rat race for another? Some people think Australia will solve all their problems but that doesn't happen (it may simply create some different ones :D).

Only you and your wife can decide what's right for you but think long and hard about what you are doing, whether you've spent enough time here, whether you could move elsewhere in Australia and what your lives would be like back in the UK.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi

Were moving to Brisbane on 6th December and are still looking forward to it! What suburb do you live and have you figured out whats missing over there?

I think you should head to another part of Australia and see if you like it there, i have a friend who lives in Melbourne and she loves it there, but having said that my cousin lives in Brisbane and has been happy there for the past 3 years.

Just make sure you make the right decision, although it can never be easy. Remember what your coming back too as well as its not a bed of roses here either, don't think anywhere is perfect. You think it is when your on holiday but could you really live there forever? most people would probably answer no. I would give it at least two years and then make your decision and at least you can say you gave it your best and it wasn't for you.

Good-luck with whatever you choose to do......ellisa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts