Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,we would like to move to Alicante/San Juan area as we have family there. I would like to fully immerse my kids in the language as well as learn their grandparents culture. Kids are 10, 8, 7. Any recommendation on good affordable or state schools? We are American Citizens of course. Can I get them into a state school? Any recommendations as to where to live with kids? We will be on a budget!
Thanks again!

·
Administrator
36,604 Posts
Hello all,we would like to move to Alicante/San Juan area as we have family there. I would like to fully immerse my kids in the language as well as learn their grandparents culture. Kids are 10, 8, 7. Any recommendation on good affordable or state schools? We are American Citizens of course. Can I get them into a state school? Any recommendations as to where to live with kids? We will be on a budget!
Thanks again!
:welcome:
I guess you've sorted out your residence visas?

if not, then that's your first step, because otherwise you can only stay in Spain for 90 days in every 180

so, if you have, then once you've registered on the padrón your children can attend state school

I'm a long way from there, so can't recommend any specifically, but my two were 5 & nearly 9 when they started in state school & are now more Spanish than English, language & culturally speaking

take a look at our http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-living-spain/2725-faqs-lots-useful-info.html for lots of info about education, visas & so on

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
For where to live it depends on what type of accommodation you are after and what your budget will be, also if you need public transport or not.
With 3 kids I'm guessing you would rather a bit of space and not a flat?

San Juan is quite a small suburb but it is very nice and possibly has some of the highest rents in Alicante.
There is only one house at the moment on one rental website at 600 Euro a month and that is the cheapest one although to be fair this is the wrong season to look and if you have more budget than that you should be more than OK because you do get good value.

I wouldn't rule out some of the surrounding areas either, plenty are nice and a touch more affordable all within striking distance of the city if you ever need it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi,

I lived not far from San Juan last year with my son. I would definitely consider other areas iswell which are all very close on the tram line. Muchavista to El campello on this map are lovely areas, child friendly, state schools.. And from albufereta to El campello on the tram line is only 15minutes.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts