Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi we have been planning a move to Dubai, now we find out my wife is in the early stage of pregnancy?
would you carry on or wait till after the baby is here? we have a 2 year old boy aswell.
any advice would be great :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
you'll need to pay for all the healthcare treatment you have here.
Assuming you get Healthcare with your employment, there is usually a period at the beginning of a policy where you cannot claim for maternity costs (6 months or a year or so)

I'd wait, but one option is for your wief to stay at home, have the baby, and move out once they are comfortable.
I wouldn't want to be apart for that, personally.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Wait.

Healthcare can cost a fortune as it's run as a business 100% here, be prepared to be upsold on everything. Needing an incubator for a week or two could probably buy you a small car.

Insurance may or may not cover you. Even if it's in your policy, be prepared for arguments are they try and wriggle out of it. Not what you need on top of the stress of having a new baby.

Finally, while standards appear high in many hospitals, and they are for the most part, there's little accountability and heard a few horror stories that would have people rightly struck off in the UK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks for the advice my wife has just found out her moms friend is there working as a midwife so she is going to contact here. perhaps is best to wait here till baby arrives :)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Ask your employer what the policy does and doesn't cover. You may actually find you are covered, but - equally - you may find that maternity isn't covered full stop.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Not many companies offer maternity cover in their insurance for employees and then there is usually a waiting period of 9 or 12 months. Most people get their own insurance or buy one of the maternity packages from a hospital - but these don't cover emergency scenarios.

As others have said, I'd wait until the baby is born and then consider coming over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts