Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

The girlfriend and I are giving serious consideration to emigrating from the UK. It's pretty much going to be a central goal for us and our obvious choices are Sweden (we have friends living there), the U.S. (friends and family there), and Australia (I have family there).

Now I know that these choices are far removed from each other so as you can no doubt imagine, we are a bit stuck on choosing. I am looking for advice on pragmatism, I will list some details that will affect our decision below.

Please feel free to offer advice, experiences, or even just some simple tips regarding us making our decision.

Details are as follows:

I am a qualified/certified plumber, not gas safe qualified. I have worked for years in the IT industry, specifically in technical support, mechanical support, and administrative (asset management for example) roles. I have plenty of catering experience, and although I worked mostly on a bar I am a qualified and experienced chef. I am currently employed full time. My employer has a global presence.

My girlfriend is a qualified and certified carpernter (site & joinery) with little work experience in fields outside of that. She is currently a stay at home mum, caring for our two boys (2 year old and 9 month old).

We have no savings, we have no debt. We are prepared to learn any language, we are also prepared to make a 5 year plan to prepare for emigration (generate savings, etc).

We are both native UK nationals.

We are looking for a better quality of life, at a slower pace. We would prefer access to more energetic activities for when the boys are older. We are also both naturally introverted, though we socialize well in all but the most crowded of areas. City life is not for us.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
50,460 Posts
OK, given what you've told us here, the US is pretty much off the table. To get a work visa (or rather, a visa that would allow you to work) you'd have to first find a job and have the employer sponsor you. That's pretty unlikely unless you have a university degree. The family connection has to be direct (i.e. parent, adult child or sibling) and the waiting list for processing is measured in years - often 10 or more. Also, unless you and the girlfriend are married, you'd be looking at separate visas, which adds another level of difficulty.

Sweden is a far "easier" option, simply because you don't have to worry about visas. You will want to learn the language and do a bit of investigation into the labor market for your lines of work.

Australia is an interesting possibility. You may want to pop over to the Australia section on the forum here and skim through some of the threads to get an idea of the primary hurdles and how people have overcome them. At least there is no new language to learn!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Would you be willing to add New Zealand to your list (as the U.S. probably comes off)? Getting the necessary immigration permission is somewhat easier there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah sure. New Zealand seems like a nice country. Though we had friends live there for a few years but return with horror stories of xenophobia and racism. They're a pretty sensitive couple so we took it with some sugar.

It may also help to know that I often liase with British Council in my line of work. I have previously inquired with them about TEFL certification and the opportunities it would create. I can easily gain TEFL certification if people think that would help.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
And, to have a reasonable chance of success from a financial standpoint, you need to have a job lined up before you move or sufficient savings to live off for 6 - 12 months (AND return empty-handed afterwards if all else fails).
So work your ass off and save while you learn the language, research about the new location and apply for jobs there. (Yes, relocation IS hard work!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, we know it's going to be difficult. Just trying to be as prepared as we possibly can, and we'll only go if one of us gets a job waiting for us. This is why it's not going to be a short term 'get up and go' decision.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah sure. New Zealand seems like a nice country. Though we had friends live there for a few years but return with horror stories of xenophobia and racism. They're a pretty sensitive couple so we took it with some sugar.

It may also help to know that I often liase with British Council in my line of work. I have previously inquired with them about TEFL certification and the opportunities it would create. I can easily gain TEFL certification if people think that would help.
Greetings,

Did they say what town or city they lived in and experienced the xenophobia and racism?
Also, is it against a particular ethnic group, or several ethnic groups?

I'm in the U.S. right now and trying to go to a technical training school in Ireland. If I can't find a job afterwards, New Zealand is on my list of countries to try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings,

Did they say what town or city they lived in and experienced the xenophobia and racism?
Also, is it against a particular ethnic group, or several ethnic groups?

I'm in the U.S. right now and trying to go to a technical training school in Ireland. If I can't find a job afterwards, New Zealand is on my list of countries to try.
Hi Irish,

Can't remember what town they said they were in, though I think it was a city in the south. I'll get some details for you, but as I said; they are a pretty sensitive couple and are easy to offend. It may have been nothing more than people being a little aloof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts