Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Together with my family (wife and infant), we are traveling around the globe, but we are thinking of having another baby and settling down.

We lived for longer period of time in this countries:
  • Slovakia (EEA)
  • UK
  • Malta
  • Canary Islands (Tenerife)
  • Malaysia (KL)
  • New Zealand (Hamilton)
  • Thailand (Phuket)

My wife would like to return to UK and live there permanently, or at least couple of years. To be honest there are many thinks I like there and many I don't.

So I would like to kindly ask people who live in Cyprus for longer period of time, using government services, paying taxes there, owning companies etc = real life couple of questions. Please reply only to question which is relevant to you. I have plenty of time to get answers and I am sure that I can get answers from different people...

• Comparing to other developed EU countries do you think that cyprus is more towards centralization of Europe - federation, or towards nationalisation - everyone should be isolated, have own language, currency etc...
  • What are the biggest shopping malls, and if you comparing them to UK (or other developer EU country) do they have similar brands ? If not to which country would you compare these brands.
  • Can you tell me name of shop where you buying "western" groceries ? On the other hand do you have specific groceries "per country". Polish shops for example
  • If you need to buy something very specific to country, and you need it fresh is there any chance to get it anywhere in cyprus ? For example asian mushrooms
  • Try to describe typical visit in government office, you need to get some permit, taxes whatever. Queues, are they nice to foreigners, English ?
  • What do you think about healthcare ? Public/Private ? Costs?
  • Cost and reliability of internet/mobile services. Can you get fibre optics outside of big towns ?
  • What is usual term of tenancy agreement ? Is there a chance to get shorter term - 3,6 months ?
  • Regarding reliability of people and their services - if somethings break up in your flat, lets say oven/dishwasher and you need to fix this professionally, how fast you can get someone to fix this. And for what price?
  • Is there any car sharing service - uber, grab, liftago ? Of there is need of car and I should get one ASAP? What about public transport ?
  • Price of electricity for heavy user of A/C per month ? Lets say I have 3 rooms and I will use 1 A/C constantly.
  • Tap water, is there any place in island where you can drink tap water, or everyone is buying bottled/filtered water ?
  • Can you do BBQ on beach/in nature?
  • What about kindergarten, daycare centres, schools ? I am specially interested in primary english speaking. Montessori. Price, availability
  • Safety in general, I know that walking alone in forrest in 2am is not safe. I mean generally, I can buy new iphone, have macbook in public transport and nobody is going to rob me right ?
  • Experience with police, courts, justice, corruption ?
  • I saw that wages are lower than I expected, do you think that generally speaking cost of livings is lower too, or there is other reason for low salaries ?
  • Do you have access to some big online services - amazon, netflix ?
  • What is the worst thing on cyprus and best thing for you = why would you be able to leave cyrpus, but you are staying...
  • Is there anything dangerous ? Deadly animals, plants ? Disasters ?
  • Regarding payments, banks - do you have latest tech - wireless payments, apple pay? Most of the people are using credit card payments / cash ?
  • Is it necessary to speak their language or english is enough ? In terms of fair trade, getting same deals and prices as locals
  • How fast you are getting new goods/services. Lets say there is new tv model, iphone, car etc...how fast you can buy this stuff in cyprus ?

·
Super Moderator
12,515 Posts
I have no intention of trawling through all of your questions which seem to suggest you think Cyprus is a 3rd world country, but you should be aware that Cyprus is NOT a 3rd world country.
Most things that are available in other European countries are also available here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really helpful

I have no intention of trawling through all of your questions which seem to suggest you think Cyprus is a 3rd world country, but you should be aware that Cyprus is NOT a 3rd world country.
Most things that are available in other European countries are also available here.
Trust me, I've been told completely same thing about Malta, fairly similar country...
If you "as moderator" are not capable of giving answers, than dont.

P.S I am interested in comparison, but at least you are helping to fulfil my concerns about community.

·
Super Moderator
12,515 Posts
Trust me, I've beenPri told completely same thing about Malta, fairly similar country...
If you "as moderator" are not capable of giving answers, than dont.

P.S I am interested in comparison, but at least you are helping to fulfil my concerns about community.
For shopping there are several supermarket chains where you can get virtually anything you can get in the UK plus quite a lot of things from other European countries.
Carrefore and Lidl are here as well as the Cypriot chains. Prices have come down a lot in the 13 years we have been here and the cost of living in general is pretty much an a par with the UK, possibly even lower.
There are Russian supermarkets. My favourite is Alphamega which is a Cypriot chain.

All of the larger towns/cites have malls which have most of the well known stores such as Zara, M&S, Tommy Hilfiger etc. etc.

I have never heard of a car sharing service but public transport is good and not expensive.

Most homes have a separate drinking water tap which comes from the mains and not from the tank on the roof. However many people still prefer to use the large water dispensers as it is impossible to get tap water cold and it tends to have a bit of a funny taste. The big bottles are very cheap.

Banking is much the same as the UK in terms of tech.

Internet is reliable and most online shopping like Amazon etc is available but you can't get Netflix here.
We have a system that's gives us everything we could possibly want to watch via a Mag box.

No problem with language as most Cypriots tend to speak good English.

Just a few of your questions answered:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts