Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I would first like to say its great having forums like this to help each other out, what did people do before the internet? I am considering moving to the Rosarito area, I want to get an apartment/house to rent in the 700-1000 dollar range, can you still get a decent place (waterview) in a safe community for that. Also safety is a main concern for me, is it a safe area. My last and final main question is being how I have an online business ( I ship items across the US) would it be smarter for me to keep my inventory in a office in San Diego because of the board crossing each time, will they make me pay customs duty on the items I need to ship (even if they are boxed with postage on it).
Thanks

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Although we wouldn't consider living in a border area, you may have your reasons. Note that you must have INM permission to work in Mexico, so doing something online is technically illegal & you should not advertise the fact. Yes, keep all stock in the USA, for obvious reasons of duty, shipping costs, Mexican business license, accountancy, RFC, CURP numbers, export license, tax registration, etc., etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and I have been poking forward to moving there soon. we also need to be close to the states for several reasons. you should have no trouble finding a place in your budget

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you do not plan on crossing the border to offen You should consider la mission. it is a little further south but much nicer. For your price range you will be able to get
a very nice place.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
According to the main board on Baja (Baja Nomads) you should have no problem renting in Rosarita at a lesser price than you quote, because 800 expats have left Rosarita since the trouble began, on the bright side 300 have returned......

Are there gangs where you live in NY?

Plus Rosarita is a notorious spring break town......

·
Registered
7 Posts
La Mission ? where is it located sounds like someplace we should include in our search trip.

If you do not plan on crossing the border to offen You should consider la mission. it is a little further south but much nicer. For your price range you will be able to get
a very nice place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
According to the main board on Baja (Baja Nomads) you should have no problem renting in Rosarita at a lesser price than you quote, because 800 expats have left Rosarita since the trouble began, on the bright side 300 have returned......

Are there gangs where you live in NY?

Plus Rosarita is a notorious spring break town......
Im sure there are gangs, I haven't seen any, and I have been in some "bad" neighborhoods but have never really been affected of bothered by it. How is the violence in Rosarito, I haven't heard much, maybe because im on the east coast right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
La Mision

Im sure there are gangs, I haven't seen any, and I have been in some "bad" neighborhoods but have never really been affected of bothered by it. How is the violence in Rosarito, I haven't heard much, maybe because im on the east coast right now.
We have a house in escrow right now in La Mision. It is just south of La Fonda, on the free road. Gated community. Probably cant discuss my realtor here, but he probably knows of rentals. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Useful details

Hi, I live in Rosarito and sell products online, and do phone consultation, as well as working (with permission) in the area as a psychotherapist. I've been here about 2 years.

Work permit:

This is not legal advice, but I don't know of anyone getting into trouble for working in Mexico when their work was online. The concern is about immigrants that pose a threat to employment of nationals. Still, who could say you shouldn't play it safe? If you aren't sure you'd manage the Spanish paperwork well enough, you can use a service. I can recommend one that is not too costly and has always been effective.

Exporting goods:

Mexico is unlikely to look at what you take out of the country. You would want to look at U.S. policies, since they inspect outgoing vehicles. If there is not a problem with your product crossing the border, you might want to enlist the help of a mail service and see if they are willing to take your products. There are several in Rosarito.

I use a U.S.-based distribution service. The time you save can offset the cost if you use it to expand your business.

Rental prices:

I have heard from people living in the severely underpopulated condo towers that you may be able to get something very nice for as little as $800 per month, ocean view included. Shop around and negotiate--it's a renter's market. You can get a fairly secure place in town (in a regular neighborhood) for $300 (no ocean view, no gated community). There's your range. Be very careful about not getting into a place with mold, especially closer to the beach.

Local advice:

From there, English-speaking locals will have all sorts of advice for you. Network through the USBC for starters.

Fear of violence:

You didn't bring this up, yourself, but: Statistically speaking, you have low odds of experiencing violence. The stats used to scare you are largely from outlying impoverished areas of Tijuana, and are mostly a risk factor for people involved in the illicit drug business. When there is violence, it's repeated endlessly by people that want to scare you. This topic has been flogged to death on various forums, as you probably know. The main, realistic, concern is that poverty breeds petty crime. But people should take security measures anywhere, so any elevation of risk should just be a reminder. Of course, stats only do so much for you. The average person has one breast. Do the math! ;)

I'll just encourage you to look at the style of the scary posts (abuse of statistics, ample use of logical fallacies and rhetorical gimmicks, intimidation and character assassination and Google stalking of people that disagree with them, etc., etc.)

The funny thing is, the fear-mongers always seem to herd people into a discussion of whether Mexico IS or IS NOT dangerous. That's goofy. It's more complicated than that. I'd love to see them actually say "this X% odd ratio IS dangerous, therefore this location IS dangerous." That would be a game changer called accountability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suggest you go spend a month there and see how you like it. I am from NYC and go down to Tijuana for a month at a time. I love it but you need a car and there are other considerations to think about.

Safety is an issue for sure. How is your spanish ?

Living in Baja is not for everybody. If you just want to live better for cheap don't go. You will not fit in. If you love mexican culture and the whole baja scene then you stand a chance to really enjoy your time there. However you will have to stomach corrupt cops and red tape when handling personal matters like banking etc.

I'd love to get out of NYC. Good Luck.

Rosarito is very SSSSlow by the way. Don't expect a lively environment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rosarito is a good choice!

Hello All,
I would first like to say its great having forums like this to help each other out, what did people do before the internet? I am considering moving to the Rosarito area, I want to get an apartment/house to rent in the 700-1000 dollar range, can you still get a decent place (waterview) in a safe community for that. Also safety is a main concern for me, is it a safe area. My last and final main question is being how I have an online business ( I ship items across the US) would it be smarter for me to keep my inventory in a office in San Diego because of the board crossing each time, will they make me pay customs duty on the items I need to ship (even if they are boxed with postage on it).
Thanks
Welcome to Baja!

You will be able to find something in your price range with little problem. My strong recommendation is that you investigate the condo or private communities at first. While somewhat 'sanitized' it offers you a simple and trouble-free introduction to the community. After 6 months or so you will know your way around, have shopping and services down, and be comfortable with the region. Getting phone, tv, internet, all utilities and paying for them, etc., will be much easier when you are "in town" and part of a ready-made community.

There are many community organizations for social and civic involvement, and by joining, you will meet many new friends and be able to ask advice from all your new friends.

I have had several friends and acquaintances decide to move to Baja, and for them it was a mistake to not be centrally located... at first anyway. Dealing with utilities, services, repairs, shopping, etc., requires an adjustment. For example, I think La Mision is a quaint and beautiful area for those who are 'acclimated' to living here. But some I know moved out there and felt isolated and out of touch. That is solved once you have established yourself and learned your way around. Then if you run out of water or LP gas, need a locksmith or electrician, you have made some friends and learned how things work and made connections. Without being accustomed to the nuances of living in Mexico, and being somewhat remote, it can be frustrating.

Once you have been here a while and are comfortable with the area, made some friends, then you will have numerous different options. You can get away from the condo projects and start to really experience Mexico. So I suggest you take the 'easy way' for the first 6 months. Settle in, then find your paradise fully informed.

Re your business... I think it depends on the kinds of items and quantity. If the products are not controversial, you should not have any issues with entering the US. Coming south, the Mexican customs can be protectionist, but it depends on the "what" and the "how much." Many folks operate consultancies and eBay businesses without dealing with Mexican taxes, etc., but as with many things... it depends.

The good news is that there are several mail services in Rosarito that can handle normal mail and deliver to a private mail box. Packages will require arrangements. There are also service providers who can assist you with your visa requirements and/or business solutions.

Rosarito is not a typical 'border area' and we are separate from Tijuana. We have had very little drug cartel related crime, and that only because the highway running north. That does not mean that all crime has been eliminated... that is the same as most places. But there are also somewhere between 8,000 and 14,000 expats living in Rosarito, and none have been involved in the cartel problems. I am not aware of anyone leaving in any significant numbers... most of the active and involved community support and are proud of Rosarito.

If you follow my advice and live in a secure property like a condo project for the first period, you will soon learn which areas you will be comfortable and safe. It is not a 'real' Mexican experience because we are very tourist oriented here, but you do have the benefit of being able to be in the US quickly. You can live pretty 'Mexican' or 'American' depending on your tastes.

I live in Rosarito... feel free to stay in touch. I'm not in real estate or have anything to sell, but will be happy to share opinions and information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello everyone - i don't live in rosarito but i just wanted to let the questioner know i travelled around mexico for 3 months alone. no one bothered me and came to my rescue when i was lost..........i still remember a local fellow gathering me up as i almost missed my bus! lol
me encanta mexico. it is safe keep in mind it is a polite and modest culture and it's important "when in mexico........." keep our u.s. state of mind out of the mix and you will have a wonderful living experience. i really miss mexico and hope to be a transplant within the next year. baja in particular has such a diverse geography and perfect climate (most times) to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. you won't need much to feel rich in mexico.
i too will be doing work on my own that requires shipping throughout the states and will be doing so from san diego. personally i would not attempt to deal with shipping from mexico but that's just my opinion. saludos! pia

·
Registered
23 Posts
Misión de San Miguel

La mision is just south of rosarito. check out vivareal la mision for listings.
This must be the place called Misión de San Miguel on my map?

As long as we're in the general area, what about Ensenada? On paper it looks really interesting, but I have not yet been there. Any comments?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This must be the place called Misión de San Miguel on my map?

As long as we're in the general area, what about Ensenada? On paper it looks really interesting, but I have not yet been there. Any comments?
Ensenada is a graveyard for the most part. During the summer it gets a little busier. It is a port city for cruise ships. You have your hotel zone and a few senor frog type places. The rest of the town is depressing with nothing to do.

You will want to go there from time to time if you live in Baja but I doubt anyone would want to live there full time. Maybe a hermit who enjoys solitude.

Go for the playas area in Tijuana. You get the beach and laid back atmosphere with a lively city just 10/15 minutes away. If you are into the Ensenada type places I would go further south into Mexico.

Go for the views.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ensenada is a graveyard for the most part. During the summer it gets a little busier. It is a port city for cruise ships. You have your hotel zone and a few senor frog type places. The rest of the town is depressing with nothing to do.

You will want to go there from time to time if you live in Baja but I doubt anyone would want to live there full time. Maybe a hermit who enjoys solitude.

Go for the playas area in Tijuana. You get the beach and laid back atmosphere with a lively city just 10/15 minutes away. If you are into the Ensenada type places I would go further south into Mexico.

Go for the views.
I am 62 years old and not interested in beaches or night life. My primary interests there would be outdoor stuff like fishing & photography. Maybe I would fit right in? :)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts

Go for the views.
Maybe the OP should look at these 2 sites and decide if Ensenada is really a GRAVEYARD.......

Baja Times - SINCE 1978 - English Language Newspaper of Baja California

http://www.ensenadagazette.com/

·
Registered
20 Posts

Go for the views.
As I've mentioned, I'm a fan and resident of Rosarito but in all fairness, I don't think I'd describe Ensenada as a graveyard. I think any city in a foreign country can seem "quiet" if you are unfamiliar and don't get involved in the local community. And actually, there is a very active and very involved ex-pat community in Ensenada.

Also, Ensenada has several universities, and that always provides youthful vitality and activities to any community. It has a balanced economy that is not exclusively tourist oriented.

Frankly, and with due respect, I think Tijuana Playas is closer to a 'graveyard.' It is a "bedroom" community where the Mexicans get up in the morning and go to Tijuana proper to work, school, etc; and there are very few things in which to be involved. Nice enough area... but not a big ex-pat community of any kind.

As I previously recommended... come on down and rent for a while before you buy. Then get involved a little... enough to get some first-hand recommendations and see for yourself. You really have many options.

Google Viva Rosarito.org on Facebook, and Rosarito Town Crier to start gathering some additional info.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.