Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
I'm surprised people don't think that £10k GBP per annum is enough. Especially since apparently the average Egyptian lives on only 1k GBP (10k LE). Did my GBP get unnoticed?
Do you know what the average egyptian lives on food wise....and have you seen the sort of houses that most of them live in.Believe me you really wouldn't want to live like the average egyptian...if foul and tamayeh is your idea of a good meal then yes you can live cheaply and no don't think anyone missed the GBP.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Obviously, I don't know, but I'd be interested to know a rough breakdown (given that my ten times more than the average Egyptian still isn't enough) per month. I thought the following was a generous estimate, but I've obviously got it horribly wrong:

Per month
Food (for home): 400 LE
Utilities: 800 LE
Internet: 200 LE
Entertainment (local travel, eating out, coffee out): 800 LE
Total = 2200 LE per month (around 220 GBP)

I'd be grateful for correction, just so that I know what to expect. Thanks to everyone for your patience!

Hi Movinghome, as for your breakdown:
Food: More than enough, don't forget to buy fresh veg and fruit from the market, half the price of supermarkets
Utilities: Well over the top and I pay for shipped in water
Internet: 50 LE over the top
Entertainment: Don't know what your lifestyle would be so can't really comment
It really is what you make of it and what type of lifestyle you want, good luck in what you decide

I know the restaurant Gounie is talking about...yes cheap and food not bad but really not your style Chris :D
I think the one you're talking about is called something like Summerland? I used to get a salad, spaghetti bolognaise, and a coke for 10 le.....Loads of divers went there...I'm sure things have changed!

Cheap food, absolutely no atmosphere, no tourists, but I never good food poisoning!!:)

Obviously, I don't know, but I'd be interested to know a rough breakdown (given that my ten times more than the average Egyptian still isn't enough) per month. I thought the following was a generous estimate, but I've obviously got it horribly wrong:

Per month
Utilities: 800 LE
Internet: 200 LE
Entertainment (local travel, eating out, coffee out): 800 LE
Total = 2200 LE per month (around 220 GBP)

I'd be grateful for correction, just so that I know what to expect. Thanks to everyone for your patience!
How about rent??

I think the one you're talking about is called something like Summerland?
No but I have been to Summerland many years ago in Sakkala.

The restaurants in El Gouna are very expensive so I enjoy a trip to Hurghada to pay Egyptian prices. There are many restaurants serving excellent food. The fish restaurant I was referring to overlooks the enormous new mosque outside Hurghada Marina.

It's just an example.

There are great alternatives to Costa Coffe too :p

No one who just moves to Egypt has the street savvy to stop being ripped off.. all my years here and I still get ripped off, so do not expect to pay Egyptian prices just because you have moved in and have a residents permit.. your first year will see you a walking ATM.. as you will pay through the nose for everything.

No but I have been to Summerland many years ago in Sakkala.

The restaurants in El Gouna are very expensive so I enjoy a trip to Hurghada to pay Egyptian prices. There are many restaurants serving excellent food. The fish restaurant I was referring to overlooks the enormous new mosque outside Hurghada Marina.

It's just an example.

There are great alternatives to Costa Coffe too :p
Lol....drinking coffee with the Bedouins :D

Discussion starter · #34 · (Edited)
MaidenScotland (incidentally, I lived in Scotland for about 20 years - Dundee and Edinburgh - although I'm English), sorry to hear about the health difficulties and hope things get sorted.

I think I will leave aside the cost of living issue here - people are so very different. I think I could live in Switzerland (excluding rent and insurance) for around 15k GBP per annum and the prices in CH are way more expensive than are being quoted for in Egypt. On the other hand, a friend thinks I'm crazy to think I could live on 15k here because (from my point of view) she is so addicted to luxuries that I find a complete waste of money! Horses for courses.

Anyway, I read somewhere that the MB accidentally let out news on additional taxes etc and that this news has since been retracted. I know reforms are supposed to be coming up (is it in May?). Are there any "rumours" as to what policies may be - I can imagine that an easy way to get more money would be to tax foreigners more. I heard about the policy that businesses (in the Sinai only?) had to be 51% Egyptian owned. I can't imagine they would restrict long-term tourist permits/visas or does anyone know anything different?

Has anyone ever been refused renewal of a long-term rental contract (for no fault of their own)? Do you have to prove permission to be a resident before you can get the rental contract?

I thought I'd just continue to keep you all busy :)

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I want to leave the cost of life question for now. However, for any other newbies reading in who are also feeling confused, I found a pdf of teaching salaries in El Gouna (no date on it) and it was around 22k EUR per annum with a take-home salary of 1800 EUR per month. I think accommodation was included, but that wasn't clear to me. Anyway, I found that surprisingly high, which supports those who said I needed more than I was planning, even if I still can't really work it out logically. :)

Per month
You have to avoid the imported stuff. I've just spent over LE400 in two days succumbing to temptation in the supermarket in El Gouna that has no prices and receipts in Arabic. (You can check everything on scanners around the shop.)

100g Nescafe Decaffinated LE77
Frozen blueberries LE65 (because they are so good for you!!)
Frozen goats cheese ravioli LE38
Pesto sauce LE34
Emanthal Cheese LE35
Four cheeses tortollini LE38

Plus all the other everyday items.

Not sure about the teachers salaries in El Gouna. They used to be rock bottom.

You have to avoid the imported stuff. I've just spent over LE400 in two days succumbing to temptation in the supermarket in El Gouna that has no prices and receipts in Arabic. (You can check everything on scanners around the shop.)

Pesto sauce LE34
Emanthal Cheese LE35

I will never be able to avoid them:D

Friends tell me when you couldn't even get Nescafe ... :eek:

Pesto sauce LE34
Emanthal Cheese LE35

Just opened a can of sardines cheap local ones for the cats... they are full of bones and the cats refused them, they are now tucking into John West at a cost of 18 LE

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.