Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of claiming Irish Citizenship through my parents, hence getting dual citizenship!

I have recently married after a few years of a long distance relationship and see this as an easier route to starting a family life here in the UK. I have been in full time employment without any breaks since 2000 so qualifying on those grounds should work.

Would the EEA family permit route work regarding Irish/British dual citizenship?

Do I still need to provide 6 months worth of bank statements for the EEA route as you do with a spouse visa (which would take me a while to collect)?

·
Registered
39,161 Posts
I am thinking of claiming Irish Citizenship through my parents, hence getting dual citizenship!

I have recently married after a few years of a long distance relationship and see this as an easier route to starting a family life here in the UK. I have been in full time employment without any breaks since 2000 so qualifying on those grounds should work.

Would the EEA family permit route work regarding Irish/British dual citizenship?

Do I still need to provide 6 months worth of bank statements for the EEA route as you do with a spouse visa (which would take me a while to collect)?
Please give us further details, such as what is your current nationality and that of your spouse, where are you and your spouse living at the moment and on what visa (if applicable), and what is it you are trying to achieve by becoming an Irish citizen?

Assuming you are a British citizen and are eligible for Irish citizenship through ancestry, and you are hoping to bring your non-EEA spouse into UK under EEA family permit, the answer is unfortunately no, after the McCarthy judgement in the European Court of Justice last May. This ruled that a dual national, such as British/Irish, cannot be seen to be exercising treaty rights in the country of one of his nationalities. So you cannot claim to be exercising treaty rights in UK, so you cannot bring your spouse into UK under EEA family permit and only through spouse visa under UK immigration rules. The only way around it is by living and working with your spouse in another EEA country outside UK or Ireland.

See http://www.adamslaw.co.uk/blog/?p=179 about McCarthy judgement.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Thanks for the reply. I am British but my wife is Filipino. I have just returned to the UK and my wife is at her home in the Philippines.

I guess a spouse visa is the only way forward.

·
Registered
39,161 Posts
Hmm. Thanks for the reply. I am British but my wife is Filipino. I have just returned to the UK and my wife is at her home in the Philippines.

I guess a spouse visa is the only way forward.
I've been checking but AFAIK, UK immigration rules haven't been amended to take account of the McCarthy judgment, so you may try bringing your wife under EEA family permit. It doesn't cost anything and you have nothing to lose.

Another way is if you can live and work even for 6 months in Spain, France or Germany etc (but it has to be a proper job with contract, not casual or short-term), accompanied by your wife, she can then enter UK under EEA family permit through another judgement (Surinder Singh).

·
Registered
39,161 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.