Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We're a family of four who are thinking of emigrating to australia. I'm a staff nurse and husband is an engineer. Kids are 1 and 6 ( plus dog !). We have contacted an agent and are going to phone them for a free consultation after doing an on - line eligibility test. Basically .. Help! Should we use an agent ? If so who is best ? Where's the best place to move to ? Quite like the sound of Perth but am worried we can't afford to buy a house! What are house prices like? We are not looking for a luxury pad with a pool - just a 3 bed house really with a bit of a garden for kids and dog. Think we can manage about $250 max but is this realistic ? What are the overall costs of the actual move roughly ? Got to get the dog over there too ! Any advice would be most appreciated and please be honest about if we can't afford it !! Thank you

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi there we are also in the UK and husband us an engineer. We thought about using an agent but thought we would try to get over there via the 457 sponsored visa route. As engineering is on the skilled shortage list we have opted for this route. I registered his cv with a few agencies on the seek recruitment site and he got an interview for a company in Perth. He then had a video conference follow up call and got the job. It's only taken a month from sending cv. Start in July hopefully and will rent initially. Perhaps try registering his cv and see what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Sabark,

When you say $250 what do you mean- do you mean rent for a house per week or $250k to buy a house. We have been renting for 14 months in Perth at $630 a week and are looking at buying a house by the end of the year for about $650 - $750k once we get PR - currently on a 457 Sponsored Visa !! That kind of money should get you modern 4 x 2 in a nice area with a pool but not near the beach !! TJ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi There.
As a staff nurse with a husband an engineer, you are not going to have any problems getting into Australia - assuming good health and police checks etc. Agents are very good but they charge a lot to basically fill in forms for you. If you are intimidated by forms and don't like the idea of going through the application process yourself then you should use an agent. However it will cost you between 1 and 2 thousand - might be worth it in the end. If you are confident that you can fill in a fairly simple form, scan your certificates and get them validated by a JP, send them over to Australia and wait for the Visa, then you should consider doing it yourself. It is much easier than you think.

Personally I didn't use an agent. I spoke to two and both of them told me to seriously think of going somewhere else (i.e. Canada, USA etc). They said my background was too eclectic and my qualifications didn't match my current job and experience and I'd never get accepted. Basically I was going to be a headache for them and they were looking for plumbers, carpenters and nurses at the time - nice easy work. So I did it myself instead and go the Visa last year. We are going to Melbourne later this month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sabark,

When you say $250 what do you mean- do you mean rent for a house per week or $250k to buy a house. We have been renting for 14 months in Perth at $630 a week and are looking at buying a house by the end of the year for about $650 - $750k once we get PR - currently on a 457 Sponsored Visa !! That kind of money should get you modern 4 x 2 in a nice area with a pool but not near the beach !! TJ
Hi,
I meant $250k to buy a house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for input all even though some of it has been taking the u know what a little !! LOL ! I f u don't ask these things then u never find anything out !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sabark,

We currently rent in Perth and you will get nothing for $250k unfortunately - even land purchases start at $275k and that is only for 300-400 sqm. Needless to say houses are very expensive in Perth - you will get a nice house in a nice area for upwards of $500k but the same beside a beach will cost in excess of $1m !!

S

·
0 Posts
Have a look on here and you'll see the prices of property. http://www.domain.com.au/
It is very expensive to rent and buy in Australia, part of the reason we came back to the UK as I wasnt prepared to stay living with the mother in law lol.
If you are from London then these prices may seem about the same so not so bad. But if you look on google maps and some of the tourism sites to see what is actually near any of the place you can afford as the price may be good but if your a good hours drive from a school or a few from a town then not so good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sabark,

We currently rent in Perth and you will get nothing for $250k unfortunately - even land purchases start at $275k and that is only for 300-400 sqm. Needless to say houses are very expensive in Perth - you will get a nice house in a nice area for upwards of $500k but the same beside a beach will cost in excess of $1m !!
Thanks for your help. Have found houses we can afford in cairns where a friend is living at present. Anyone got experience of living there at all ? We also stumbled upon houses in Broken Hill but it just sounds plain scary!!! Think it's almost in the outback !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.