Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all !!

I am finally making my permanent move to Australia.

I wanted to ask if I can take multi-vitamins ( like B-complex , folic acid and vitamin C ) , iron tablets and protein powder ( like GRD or protein x sealed box ) in small quantities for personal consumption ?

I want to take around 10-15 tablets of each mentioned above and about 200 gms sealed box of protein powder so that I do not have to find these things initially.

If I can take them , do I need prescription ?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi all !!

I am finally making my permanent move to Australia.

I wanted to ask if I can take multi-vitamins ( like B-complex , folic acid and vitamin C ) , iron tablets and protein powder ( like GRD or protein x sealed box ) in small quantities for personal consumption ?

I want to take around 10-15 tablets of each mentioned above and about 200 gms sealed box of protein powder so that I do not have to find these things initially.

If I can take them , do I need prescription ?
Indeed you need clear stated prescription by a doctor for every medicine you wanted to take. If you are taking some acids and all, perhaps if you have any chronic illness, you may require to produce history documents too to justify your claims (Sometimes). So carry all your medical history documentation folder with you.

I am not very sure about the number/quantity of a single medicine limitation. You can check with Airline executives stating your concern of taking a predefined quantity and ask for suggestions.

Remember to declare it in the form that they give during your landing in Australia. That has a checkbox option saying whether you carry any medicines. Failure to do so and if caught, may involve a heavy fine around 35K AUD (Which I read in the rubric).

One point of interest would be, in cabin bag, they do not allow acids (I think), and few drugs if it goes more than 50/100 ML. It will be throwed in dustbin. Always pack such huge quantities in checkin bag (For that fact, most/every medicines you put in checkin bag). But I am really not sure how you will justify with your prescriptions if it is all in checkin bag and if its opened at checkin without your notice and they find the acid and throw it out. You have to get this question sorted out. :rolleyes:

A thread I found for you in google:

http://babyandbump.momtastic.com/trying-to-conceive/285675-advice-flying-folic-acid.html

Best regards,
JR

·
Registered
83 Posts
JR,

When Sktoaustralia mentioned folic acid, I am sure he was asking about a form of Vitamin B9, also known as folic acid. It is a vitamin supplement and not anything acidic as such. Just to clarify. But as you mentioned, carrying large amounts could require prescription.

Reactions: jre05

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
JR,

When Sktoaustralia mentioned folic acid, I am sure he was asking about a form of Vitamin B9, also known as folic acid. It is a vitamin supplement and not anything acidic as such. Just to clarify. But as you mentioned, carrying large amounts could require prescription.
Yes, after googling, I came to know the same about Frolic acid :eek:. Especially I see that, mostly pregnant women would be taking it, is what I saw.

Well just in case, I gave an answer for acid too ;) :typing:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, after googling, I came to know the same about Frolic acid :eek:. Especially I see that, mostly pregnant women would be taking it, is what I saw.

Well just in case, I gave an answer for acid too ;) :typing:
Yeps I meant vitamin b9. I would be taking them for my use only so only small quantities like 10-15 tablets.
What about anti allergic tablets like citirizen ? and its she not he :smile:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lots of misinformation in here...you do NOT need a prescription for over the counter drugs like vitamins and supplements. When they say medicine, they are referring to items which are require a prescription for purchase. If you are carrying prescription drugs, ensure that your name is on the label since you can get in a lot of trouble if someone else's name is on it or if there is none.

Also, protein powder is classified as 'food' and not a medicine/pharmaceutical. Hope this helps

Reactions: anu radha and jre05

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yeps I meant vitamin b9. I would be taking them for my use only so only small quantities like 10-15 tablets.
What about anti allergic tablets like citirizen ? and its she not he :smile:
Well as the friend above suggested, it could be the case too.

Well it is always advisable to take a prescription from your doctor, which can say that, since you are allergetic to some cold or sort of thing when you encounter a slight climate change, you are supposed to carry a few tables with you always wherever you travel. Then with that, better buy the medicine WITH bills. Take bills and prescription handy with you. If in case, they ask, you can provide them this. Usually you have a form in the flight which they give you just before you land in Australia. There you should tick that you carry medicine. Perhaps they may check or they may not. But it is wise to declare in that form. Because, as I said, once caught and if they question us, sometime it can levy a heavy pain.

I am also writing something in private to you, please check.

Best regards,
JR

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think medicine question is over now, so lets utilize this thread to consolidate more information.

I have observed that clothing is quite expensive in Australia, so it's better to load your bags from India. Apart from this, is there anything else which we should specifically pack?

Lets create a list which could help the fellow travellers in future.

Wise to pack following things before your move from India:

1) Clothing - Business and casual
2) Spectacles and their prescription
3) .....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts