Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am going to land Australia with visa 189 this weekend and stay there for 8 days first. I would like to know what I should do upon arrival. I previously read in this forum that I should first open a bank account since I have 2-week allowance for not having an address when opening an account. Next, I should apply for a Medicare card. I wonder if I am correct. Also, what should I have to prepare for the Medicare application if I am able to apply for it without an address in Australia. Can anyone tell me? Thanks very much!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
If your trip is only for 8 days then you should not go for Medicare Card as you need Permanent Address and it's for people who are moving to Australia Permanently.

If you wish to open a bank account, do so otherwise simply enjoy your trip.

Girl Aussie

Dear all,

I am going to land Australia with visa 189 this weekend and stay there for 8 days first. I would like to know what I should do upon arrival. I previously read in this forum that I should first open a bank account since I have 2-week allowance for not having an address when opening an account. Next, I should apply for a Medicare card. I wonder if I am correct. Also, what should I have to prepare for the Medicare application if I am able to apply for it without an address in Australia. Can anyone tell me? Thanks very much!!!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Please advise....How to open an account being offshore..?
most banks (NAB, ANZ, CBA, WestPac ...etc.) have migrant products (e.g. migrant bank account). You open the account online, then you set an appointment at the nearest branch to where you will be staying when you arrive.

You will show them your passport at the branch and collect the debit card, and the account will be activated. Prior to activation the account can receive transfers but cannot have any debit transactions.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Most Australian banks do offer 'open an account before your arrive', simply check their website and follow the instructions. You should have your Passport handy for number & expiry date, your e-mail address which will use to communicate with you through the process and last your planned arrival date and city.

After you arrive, simply visit the bank branch with your ID and you are good to go.

Hope this helps.

Girl Aussie

Please advise....How to open an account being offshore..?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts