Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

I am planning to move for the first time in August with my wife and kid. As I am just 2 months away, I have started to compile a list of things to be done in my home country. I searched around in this forum for a checklist of sorts, but could not find any. Hence thought of sharing the list that I have made so far. This is not intended to be a packing list, but rather a list of things to be done before the move, typically those that could take some time to get done.

Please add on to this list if possible. Would help me and others. Also, in case there is already a thread that talks about this topic, kindly let me know.

Regards,
Arun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
List

Banking/Financials
  1. Open an Australian bank account
  2. Close unwanted bank accounts in your country, convert one account into a non-resident account (NRE/NRO in India), so that you can transfer money from Australia to your country
  3. EMIs - If you have any EMI that is being deducted from your account back home, make sure you are able to fund this account from Australia
  4. Credit Card - You might want to use the credit card from your home country for a few days in Australia. Make sure it can be used internationally.

Documents etc
  1. Passport and Visa - Print 15 to 20 copies each
  2. Scanned copy of all documents in a pen drive (password protected)
  3. Passport sized photographs - 20
  4. Buy an extra pair of spectacles

Utilities in home country
  1. Terminate land-line connection, DTH connection (Satellite TV), Internet connection, Gas connection
  2. Mobile - Terminate mobile connections, but keep the one on which you receive 3DS passwords. Talk to the service provider for cheap international roaming plans

SHOPPING LIST (not a packing list. A good packing list here: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ame-what-next-my-prospective.html#post8020361 )

Clothes etc
  1. Get a suit for your interview
  2. 2-3 Full sized trolley bags

Electrical/Electronic
  1. 2 Universal socket adapters - This will help you connect devices from your home country onto Australian sockets
  2. 1 Multiplug extension cord from your home country. You can connect this onto a universal socket adapter and use multiple devices from your home country. This tip was shared by a forum member here. I do not remember the name though.
  3. 1 extra mobile phone for the SIM from your home country

Utensils

1. Get a pressure cooker or an electric rice cooker (This is probably specific to Indians :) )

Regards,
Arun

·
Registered
14 Posts
Banking/Financials
  1. Open an Australian bank account
  2. Close unwanted bank accounts in your country, convert one account into a non-resident account (NRE/NRO in India), so that you can transfer money from Australia to your country
  3. EMIs - If you have any EMI that is being deducted from your account back home, make sure you are able to fund this account from Australia
  4. Credit Card - You might want to use the credit card from your home country for a few days in Australia. Make sure it can be used internationally.

Documents etc
  1. Passport and Visa - Print 15 to 20 copies each
  2. Scanned copy of all documents in a pen drive (password protected)
  3. Passport sized photographs - 20
  4. Buy an extra pair of spectacles

Utilities in home country
  1. Terminate land-line connection, DTH connection (Satellite TV), Internet connection, Gas connection
  2. Mobile - Terminate mobile connections, but keep the one on which you receive 3DS passwords. Talk to the service provider for cheap international roaming plans

SHOPPING LIST (not a packing list. A good packing list here: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...ame-what-next-my-prospective.html#post8020361 )

Clothes etc
  1. Get a suit for your interview
  2. 2-3 Full sized trolley bags

Electrical/Electronic
  1. 2 Universal socket adapters - This will help you connect devices from your home country onto Australian sockets
  2. 1 Multiplug extension cord from your home country. You can connect this onto a universal socket adapter and use multiple devices from your home country. This tip was shared by a forum member here. I do not remember the name though.
  3. 1 extra mobile phone for the SIM from your home country

Utensils

1. Get a pressure cooker or an electric rice cooker (This is probably specific to Indians :) )

Regards,
Arun
Hi Arun,

Also don't forget to declare all your food items in the arrival card when you arrive at an Australian Airport. As much as possible,please keep all food items in their original package. Refrain from carrying any plant,seeds,and animal based products.

If you prefer to bring a pressure cooker/mixer grinder, also get some additional spare parts for them (like safety valve, gasket etc). It will be hard to find them here if it not of a standard type, and also will be expensive to buy.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Best wishes for your journey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts