Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... which really shouldn't be a surprise at all. What are yours?

Mine (for starters) are:

1. seeing clouds
2. lack of AC most places
3. booze in supermarkets/coffee shops
4. getting proper pork bacon/sausages in hotel breakfasts
5. taxi drivers who know the way
6. not having to repeat your request multiple times until understood
7. having to pump your own petrol
8. rain

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Deep blue skies (not sandy/hazy)
People respecting queues
Smoke free bars
People saying back 'good morning' in the lift
Cold days and crisp air
Greenery

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Encountering decent human beings.
Car journeys that don't involve someone trying to kill you directly or indirectly.

·
Registered
692 Posts
New rules and laws that change with the direction of the wind ..

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
People just being generally pleasant to one another.
It always feels a little wrong to me, to go to other places and be able to just pick up alcohol basically anywhere.

How much petrol costs - need a loan just to fill the tank up in some places - cripes.

G

·
How much petrol costs - need a loan just to fill the tank up in some places - cripes.
Last month I filled the tank of my rental car in Belgium and shoot, I felt like my whole salary went directly to that gas station. lol One liter is something like 9 AED.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
All of the above also

Booze in the petrol station
"Cheers mate"
How grey UK most modern cities are
Trailers for shows in the TV, seasonal programming
People letting you out of junctions, letting you change lanes, letting you off a slip road
"Sure, not a problem"
Rain
Pubs that shut at 11
Crazy people of the train/tube and in shopping precincts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
don't need to leave the sandpit for that, just need to leave your apartment...
True, though I was meaning products of the wonderful care in the community system eg folk having an arguement with the bin wearing their slippers.

Speaking of which, carpets in peoples houses.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
True, though I was meaning products of the wonderful care in the community system eg folk having an arguement with the bin wearing their slippers.

yes, I lived directly above the 'Mermaid Fish Bar' on Leith Walk years ago....
was sitting in the 'greasy spoon' over the road having breakfast with my brother who was visiting at the time, looking at a picture of our flat across the road on the front page of the local rag. We'd wondered what all the sirens were about....

"In December 2000, a 32-year-old man walked into a chip shop in Edinburgh carrying his penis, which he had just cut off.
"There wasn't time to think about it and I shouted for the girl in the shop to get me some of the polythene bags we put the rolls in," said fish fryer Adam Harrughty at the Mermaid on Leith Walk,
The man, who had also stabbed himself in the neck, was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and then transferred to St John's Hospital in Livingston for plastic surgery"

some years later, the same bloke......

"A DERANGED killer who battered his stepdad to death with a telly before cutting off his victim's hand and waving it at people in the street has been caged for eight years.
Drug-crazed Alan Smith, attempted to severe 50-year-old William Meldrum's head before chopping off his right hand. During an early hours stroll, Smith bragged to three young men heading home: "I have just killed someone." When they dismissed his boast, Smith - who once hacked off his manhood - showed the terrified men the severed hand. Blood-stained Smith then told cops in an unmarked car that he had found the hand. He then raged: "He ripped my mum off. He ripped her off for thousands. He lunged at me with a knife and I took it off him."

Sentencing Smith at the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday, Lord Drummond Young said: "I have an acceptance by the prosecutor that your behaviour was affected by your mental disorder."

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
how did he not die from blood loss?
I've got a mental image of Adam, working the fryer and p!ssed off because his mates are out on the lash when this guys comes in.

"Oh FFS. Here Margaret, bring through some of they bags we put the rolls in. Whit about you, love. Fish supper was it?"

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I've got a mental image of Adam, working the fryer and p!ssed off because his mates are out on the lash when this guys comes in.

"Oh FFS. Here Margaret, bring through some of they bags we put the rolls in. Whit about you, love. Battered sausage was it?"
there... corrected for you

Reactions: Lamplighter

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sensible and polite driving
Good fresh produce
Pubs
Normal conversations
Weather
Greenery

That said quick trip UK last week was cold and dare I say wet

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Tropical weather
'Real' people
Not having everyone flaunt about with the latest Gucci, Prada, Fendi etc etc etc
Buddhist temples / Meditation lounges
Monsoon rains
Tropical weather
Natural flora and fauna out and about, not your manicured roadside lawns
Ability to legally play poker and make money while doing it
People treating each other with respect

I started missing Sri Lanka the minute the plane landed ...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
No speedhumps; who approves the horrendous speedbumps they put in some parking spaces?
And 4 speedbumps within 100 m in a nonresidential area, seriously?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
On the subject of speedbumps.

People who go ridiculously slow over speed bumps.
The same people who then fly over the next speed bump, possibly damaging their car and causing discomfort to their passengers in an outburst of rage that you dared to overtake them.

Taxi drivers are the worst for this, I've seen passengers bang their heads on the roofs because Johnny Pitstain has a Schumacher attitude to being overtaken.

·
Registered
177 Posts
On the subject of speedbumps.

People who go ridiculously slow over speed bumps.
The same people who then fly over the next speed bump, possibly damaging their car and causing discomfort to their passengers in an outburst of rage that you dared to overtake them.

Taxi drivers are the worst for this, I've seen passengers bang their heads on the roofs because Johnny Pitstain has a Schumacher attitude to being overtaken.
Haha love this one. I go slow over bumps and theres always a taxi next to me getting sweet air

On topic. Barry Rippers! (or strippers to the non aussies)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts