Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share my frustrations here and probbaly make you laugh in the process.

FINALLY I got accepted for a contract mobile phone - YAY happy days. It was a great deal with Happy Movil 750MB data a month and 100 mins then 3c a minute thereafter for €12 a month +IVA.

So my new shiny Blackberry arrives, I put the SIM card in and it tells me I have no data plan. Erm ....... I'm blonde but what is the 750MB a month??

Ahhhh in the small print it says you have to go to your phone options, advanced settings and set your APN to internettph. Took a while to find it but yep I've got it. All done - happy days. Only my phone is telling me I still have no data plan :eek:

Oh I see! On my acceptance it says :

If you want to configure internet on your mobile you can send an SMS to 22389 with the text "SET UP", then select "install" (Pin: 0 or 0000)

OK - that was obviously the problem. I can do that so text message sent only to receive a reply that says 'sorry your phone can not be configured automatically'

Boy!! They do make this internet thingy complicated. OK I give in time to call customer services and admit defeat. The lady says please call back after 4pm and speak to the person who can speak English as I cannot understand what you want (My Spanglish is obviolsuy not coming along as well as I hoped).

So 5pm (give them time to settle in) I call customer services and the nice man explains to me Happy Movil is not compatible with Blackberry and will not work.

Excuse my French but FFS!!!!!!!

I then spend 30 minutes gaining instructions on how to cancel my so sought after contract.

In future I think I'll stick with PAYG.

Now I'm not sure but whats the chances that this contract is not as easy to cancel as the nice man made out?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
natalieml,
I take it that your shiny new Blackberry was part of the deal.
If so, as Lucie says, why on earth did they give you a Blackberry in the first place!!!
I would say that in that case you have a fighting chance of cancelling the contract (but how easy that will be.... who knows!)

When I read the first lines of your post and saw 750mb per month data, I was so jealous! :eek::)

But it does seem that you get what you pay for...sadly...:(

I have a couple of smartphones - a Blackberry 9300 for work, plus a Samsung Galaxy for more enjoyable stuff - but after looking at deals and mobile prices in Spain, I bought both of mine in the UK - unlocked from the Carphone Warehouse.
In the UK, I can find a whole range of decent tariff deals for the phones. I could even have chosen a couple of decent monthly contract tariffs which allowed me to keep the phones unlocked. But in Spain, I have struggled!

My Movistar PAYG plans only gives me 100mb data per month for each mobile, and then charge me at premium rate for all the days I go over until the next month. Each one is only €10 per month +IVA. But I would have paid for a higher data plan if they had one... but they haven't!

I looked at Vodafone PAYG tariffs, but these seemed more expensive, with only a little more data per month (and only in some cases...). And even on monthly contracts, you have to pay upfront for the mobile.
I think Orange in Spain is pretty similar on prices and upfront payments.

Makes me wonder how so many people out here manage to have smartphones... :confused: but I guess that's another story....

But whatever tariff you go for, you always need to make sure you have the data plan set up. And in the case of a Blackberry, which, as you know, had its own special way (BIS) of connecting for emails and messages, this usually needs to be configured by the carrier.
When I got my tariff for both mobiles, I tested them to make sure they were set up before leaving the shop. With both on Movistar I had to ring 1004 and the plans were set up there and then. It was amazingly simple!

Hope you can get out of the monthly contract and find yourself a reasonable deal.
But I guess that will mean sending back the shiny new mobile.... :(

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
I'm so blonde I havent a clue what you're even talking about lol!!! Of course it wouldnt go smoothly tho - is it you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo xxx
Well, I'm dark, almost black haired and I have got no idea what they're going on about.
I bought a new mobile last week. It cost 19.99 plus 564 points plus 20 euros on the PAYG account, which will last me months. It's got big numbers and a camera. I can make and receive calls, and that's about all I'm interested in.
I think the use mobiles are given is an expense, sometimes a hefty monthly expense, that should be thought about as a luxury, not a necessity in many cases.
OK I know some people need a mobile for work, but it can really eat away at the monthly budget...

Not that I don't sympathise with Natalie and her blackberry thingie. If you have any problems you should ask for the hoja de reclamaciones

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Well, I'm dark, almost black haired and I have got no idea what they're going on about.
So am I.
And the only reason I understand this is because I've had to set this up myself.:)
I bought a new mobile last week. It cost 19.99 plus 564 points plus 20 euros on the PAYG account, which will last me months. It's got big numbers and a camera. I can make and receive calls, and that's about all I'm interested in.
Well... it will last you 6 months at best, because as you know if you don't top up within 6 months you lose your number. :(

I think the use mobiles are given is an expense, sometimes a hefty monthly expense, that should be thought about as a luxury, not a necessity in many cases.
OK I know some people need a mobile for work, but it can really eat away at the monthly budget...
Yes it can. I love my Galaxy smartphone, but am very careful how I use it out here.
The Blackberry on the other hand collects all my emails and messages for work. It also allows me to contact company reps via BBM, as many of them also have Blackberries. And that's a substantial saving on time and money. And, allowing that our internet is dodgy at best, is the only way I can almost guarantee I wont miss anything.

And on a slightly geeky track.... :)
The setup here appears to be different than in the UK (although that could be just a Movistar thing).
In the UK, as long as I am signed up to Blackberry Internet Services with a service provider, I have the option to have WiFi as a preference when available, and I can also turn mobile networks off and still get my messages and emails via WiFi, if I choose to do so. And this means I use very little of my data allowance.
But here, there is no option for WiFi preferred and turning off the mobile network makes my mobile unable to use the WiFi. So it may be a further gotcha. But I'm testing that one...

Not that I don't sympathise with Natalie and her blackberry thingie. If you have any problems you should ask for the hoja de reclamaciones
Very good point!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What are the phone shop like for deals compaired to the car phone warehouse in the uk. are they are good starting place.
Having looked quite recently, I find the Phone Shop prices higher overall.
But the main difference I have found is that most of the phones they sell are locked to a particular network, whilst in the UK, unless its a special deal, none of their (Carphone Warehouse) phones are locked.

SIM Free (or libre in Spanish) mobiles are expensive in both cases, but the Carphone Warehouse has much more choice.

I've also noticed that monthly contract deals for the Phone House often ask for an up front payment for the mobile, which in most cases does not apply in the Carphone Warehouse.

Incidentally, my husband was looking for a smartphone recently and, as he wanted the operating system to be entirely in English, he tried to buy a SIM Free mobile from Amazon UK..... But he was unable to do so, as they do not ship mobiles outside the UK. :(
It seems that the only way to do this is to physically go there.

In the end, he actually did get a monthly contract deal for a smartphone with Movistar and this included a free phone, which was unusual. But that was based upon points we had scored for being Movistar customers and a lot of 'negotiating' first. :)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If you have friends in UK have Amazon ship it to them and then ask your friends ever so nicely to forward it to you. Worked for our friends over here.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
and will not work.

Excuse my French but FFS!!!!!!!
You are clearly very upset and angry and rightly so. Why don't I come over and soothe your troubled brow? I can offer a really good cava, some wonderful tapas cooked just how you like it and can entertain with song and laughter. All you have to do is call my blackberry........

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks. i have a samsung galaxy at the mo via the carphone warehouse. So ill want to take that to spain with me as i use the phone for the net and emails than i do for actual phonecalls! so the best option would be to get a sim only type deal in spain to use with an unlocked uk phone?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Thanks. i have a samsung galaxy at the mo via the carphone warehouse. So ill want to take that to spain with me as i use the phone for the net and emails than i do for actual phonecalls! so the best option would be to get a sim only type deal in spain to use with an unlocked uk phone?
Yes :)
The only downside to that is not being able to use your UK number for calls and texts, but as you use the mobile mainly for net and emails, it shouldn't be a problem. :)

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
If you have friends in UK have Amazon ship it to them and then ask your friends ever so nicely to forward it to you. Worked for our friends over here.
There is a good range of moviles libres (unlocked phones) on Amazon.es and you can get it even quicker. When I was looking at cameras recently the prices were about the same as on Amazon UK, in some cases cheaper.

Amazon.es: moviles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts