Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Does anyone know if the following make any difference to 189 visa processing times?

Being in the country already, on a 457
Being the only person on your visa (presumably this is the big one).
Having 70 points for an occupation that requires 60?

Just out of curiosity. My invitation to apply came through within 2 weeks of sending in my EOI. My last 457 took 3 days to transfer. I'm crossing my fingers that these aren't just luck and it's because of the above

I applied yesterday. Going to front load my medicals and PCC clearance and form 80 next week. I need to get the hell out of this job I'm in before I quit and go home, but if the end is in sight I can stick it out, otherwise I will be looking to transfer my 457 and I don't want to throw a spanner in the works.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hey

Does anyone know if the following make any difference to 189 visa processing times?

Being in the country already, on a 457
Being the only person on your visa (presumably this is the big one).
Having 70 points for an occupation that requires 60?

Just out of curiosity. My invitation to apply came through within 2 weeks of sending in my EOI. My last 457 took 3 days to transfer. I'm crossing my fingers that these aren't just luck and it's because of the above

I applied yesterday. Going to front load my medicals and PCC clearance and form 80 next week. I need to get the hell out of this job I'm in before I quit and go home, but if the end is in sight I can stick it out, otherwise I will be looking to transfer my 457 and I don't want to throw a spanner in the works.
AFAIK the 189s are in a FIFO queue. I don't believe they are prioritised in any way, though if the CO has an option to "pick" which file to work on I guess they may do so.

As for things that make a difference, I would guess:
  • Completeness of documentation at the point the CO opens the case. If they need to ask you for ANYTHING you go round the circle again.
  • Low risk countries vs high risk
  • ANything on medicals or police checks that needs further investigation
  • Perhaps the perception of trustworthiness of application... though this is pure guesswork. Maybe known unis and employers give more conifdence than unknown and therefore less likely to receive further checks?

My thoughts on what would help is to make the application clear, simple, and logical. My agent filed though, so not sure if they used established conventions for naming, categorising, etc.

I don't think number of applicants has an effect. I got mine in about a fortnight with 5 applicants, 20 years work experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, a fortnight...that's amazing. Congratulations on that mate, and thanks for the info

Fortunately I don't have a huge amount of experience to go through, only 4 years in the UK, so less than 3 years at a skilled level (minus 2 for post degree). Turns out that doing well on the IELTS trumps my degree and overseas experience put together...which I guess makes things easier for me in the end as getting my old payslips is proving a pain (but I've got bank statements, references and SOME p45s and payslips).

Did you front load form 80? I'm thinking it's worth doing.

@whitenoise
261312: DEVELOPER PROGRAMMER

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Wow, a fortnight...that's amazing. Congratulations on that mate, and thanks for the info

Fortunately I don't have a huge amount of experience to go through, only 4 years in the UK, so less than 3 years at a skilled level (minus 2 for post degree). Turns out that doing well on the IELTS trumps my degree and overseas experience put together...which I guess makes things easier for me in the end as getting my old payslips is proving a pain (but I've got bank statements, references and SOME p45s and payslips).

Did you front load form 80? I'm thinking it's worth doing.

@whitenoise
261312: DEVELOPER PROGRAMMER
Yes, and Form 1221.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both form 80 AND 1221? Isn't 1221 a smaller version of 80?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Both form 80 AND 1221? Isn't 1221 a smaller version of 80?
It pretty much is, but from my understanding they are routed to different departments (or can be if requiring processing). It might be Visa Voodoo, but I filed them both.

Reactions: mykmallett
1 - 7 of 7 Posts