Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

The Usual Vusa Enquiry

943 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  anj1976
Hi, Just wondered if anyone might know which visa my partner should apply for. He is qualified community pharmacist (and so on the occupational list) - He has a job to go to with a company who are willing to sponsor him - and are wanting to move out to Australia permenantly.
As his partner, I also want to go with him and we were hoping that I could go on his vis, but we have not been living together for more than a year. I hadn't really wanted to do that until we had got married - If we were to get married - would that make any difference to the 12 month thing?
i have contacted the Australian High Commission, but appear to have recieved two different answers.
We were hoping to be able to apply without having to go through an agent to save money - has anyone else done things this way? Or is the general consensus that it is better to go thriugh an agency?:confused2::)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
If your situation isn't complicated then you can do it yourself - personally we were running out of time (our age) so had to get it right first time.

What are the two different answers you've received?
Have you gone back to them and said that you've received 2 different answers and which one is correct?

Hi there,

If you are in a de facto relationship at the time of lodging your application, you will have to show that you have been living together for 12 months. If you get married before you lodge then you will be added to your partners main application as a spouse.

Have a look at these 2 visas and see which one suits you best. The first one is a visa whereby you are sponsored by a company. This is a temporary visa and will not give you Permanent Residence. You will have to apply for that once you are in australia.

The other is an independent skilled visa and will give you PR straight away. This will take longer to get. So it's down to you whether you want to do the temporary visa with the job or wait a while and get PR with the other (most people would be on cloud 9 if they had a job offer!!!).

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)
Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

we applied in september 08 for 175 PR, our documents were more or less complete but we were waiting for our marriage certificate to apply.. No one questions you if you have the marriage certificate in hand. I am from India and here we do not have the trend of living in (not as common), we either go around and get married or just have an arranged marriage (mine was a go around for 2 yrs and get married and move in :) ). anyway, if you do plan to get married eventually, why not do it now :)
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.