Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UK forum is much busier than the French forum :confused: Have you seen the amount of daily posts from people wanting to move to the UK. I can't answer one single question mind you. :)

Why is that then ? I thought (well according to the UK media) that nobody wanted to move to the UK anymore because it was going to economically implode after Brexit..

Why are these people not moving to France ? What is going on here ?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Because this is an English-speaking forum and they speak English in England ? (Meaning, people on here are anglophones thus might find an English-speaking country more appealing.) I don't know lol

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
The UK has always been a more popular country for immigration than France. And now with Brexit hanging over everyone's head, it would seem time to make the Big Move before they realize they're going to have to keep most of the EU nationals already living there - and possibly that will make them clamp down harder on immigration from outside the EU ("to make their numbers").

Folks really only move to France to retire. Or maybe to marry a French person. Or if they're transferred here, and in that case their employer is taking care of all the relocation stuff.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But I was under the impression that the UK had gone to the dogs and it will soon be an economic wasteland.

Just checked out the other EU forums (Germany, Spain, Italy) and they are all dead as well. Nobody wants to move there......or to the EU to put it more precisely.

No, they want to move to the UK.

What am I missing ?

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
Old habits die hard? Or, like Soleil says, this is an English speaking forum.

Just out of curiosity, what nationalities are looking to move to the UK? Primarily English speaking countries? Or is it the Yanks again? (Really, now, talk about a country going to the dogs - and 6 feet under water, to boot!)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Again, lots of people who speak English would find an English-speaking country more livable I think. So the UK seems cool enough in that it's in Europe but still speaks English.

I do think the French board on here is a lot more active than other European ones, as you noted. I've looked at the Italian one and Scandinavian (okay, "Other Europe" or whatever the forum is called) ones and they are almost always dead. Maybe one or two posts a week. So why France over those, I don't know. Except probably more people speak French than those languages, lol, so maybe that's why.

Then the ones like Dubai or whatever might be more hopin since people get jobs over there.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,757 Posts
The UK forum is much busier than the French forum :confused: Have you seen the amount of daily posts from people wanting to move to the UK. I can't answer one single question mind you. :)

Why is that then ? I thought (well according to the UK media) that nobody wanted to move to the UK anymore because it was going to economically implode after Brexit..

Why are these people not moving to France ? What is going on here ?
Perhaps you could quantify a little , just to give your 'assumption' or is it 'opinion' a little more weight? There are certainly a lot more posts on random issues such as visas etc. but i could not see many that referred even vaguely to moving full time or emigrating to th U.K.

Perhaps you could tell us how many people are looking to move, compared with all the European countries you mention? Say from 23 June last year. Then we could do a stastically based comparison.

It might take you a little time my little swiss/italian friend, but no rush.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, lots of people who speak English would find an English-speaking country more livable I think. So the UK seems cool enough in that it's in Europe but still speaks English.

I do think the French board on here is a lot more active than other European ones, as you noted. I've looked at the Italian one and Scandinavian (okay, "Other Europe" or whatever the forum is called) ones and they are almost always dead. Maybe one or two posts a week. So why France over those, I don't know. Except probably more people speak French than those languages, lol, so maybe that's why.
No, I think the worst country in the EU for speaking English is France. Germany, Holland, Scandinavia they all speak English better than the English. So language is not the issue.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Smeg you might know that, but I'm not sure foreigners would. It's one of those things you find out when you get here. Just trust me, a lot of Americans are scared of foreign languages lol so they would gravitate toward an English-speaking country. We're taught French and Spanish in HS (well, have to pick one) so we might think we can go to those countries.

I don't know though for sure as far as non-Americans. I still feel people will gravitate to a country where they know at least some of the language. (Unless it's 100% a employer-sponsored career move, like to China or something)

ps. I went to Sweden and I wouldn't say all of them knew English, in spite of the rumor! Maybe the big cities, but not everyone. I.e., not all bus drivers in Vaxjo spoke English...

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps you could quantify a little , just to give your 'assumption' or is it 'opinion' a little more weight? There are certainly a lot more posts on random issues such as visas etc. but i could not see many that referred even vaguely to moving full time or emigrating to th U.K.
Why would you go onto a forum and just ask a random question if you are not thinking of moving there ?

There was one today from a French person asking about how to open a bank account in the UK. :) That made me chuckle. I started to answer then I realised I did not have a clue. :confused:

How do you open a bank account in the UK :eek:

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,757 Posts
No, I think the worst country in the EU for speaking English is France. Germany, Holland, Scandinavia they all speak English better than the English. So language is not the issue.
Now that is garbage and i doubt you have any evidence to support that statement (again).

So one french person wants to open a bank account in the UK and you do your usual wind up. Get a life Smeg for fcuk's sake.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Smeg you might know that, but I'm not sure foreigners would. It's one of those things you find out when you get here. Just trust me, a lot of Americans are scared of foreign languages lol so they would gravitate toward an English-speaking country. We're taught French and Spanish in HS (well, have to pick one) so we might think we can go to those countries.

I don't know though for sure as far as non-Americans. I still feel people will gravitate to a country where they know at least some of the language. (Unless it's 100% a employer-sponsored career move, like to China or something)
I only met one American living in the UK and I would say honestly....I did not understand a word they were saying.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Bev has hit it on the head - especially for the French forum - all old retired people who never do any research before they move, think the french will speak english in a little "out of the way location" so they need help once they get there.
Also, since most of them are out in the middle of no where and do not speak the language or want to make friends with the locals, they sit behind there computer all day and make up life stories that they wish they had. One reason AngloInfo was such a big hit before all the design changes.

Maybe the Italian & German expats are more prepared for the move, actually have friends, or just have better things to do than sit in front of their computers everyday ( sorry - I make my living in front of mine writing code ) As for Smegs comment about the Spanish forum, you see alot of the same lonely people who broadcast their life as the French forum but there are more locations in Spain that are "little Britians" than in France so the older expats here can actually have some resemblance of a life beyond their computer screens & with better weather.

·
Banned
92 Posts
It could be said that the UK is the worst country for English.... Try understanding a Scottish girl on the phone...

Most under 35s will speak a little english no matter what country.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Damn harsh, lol, BobfromFrance. I'm not a retiree but I do spend a lot of time holed up in my cave haha! I don't like socializing in "real" life as much because I am a hermit. I have a feeling I'm going to get very busy soon, though.

But I do notice there a lot of retirees on this French forum.

Smeg: We joke a lot about how hard it is to understand people from the UK, so, it goes both ways. ;) Depending on the accent. Scottish movies or even really 'thick' British accents need subtitles even though it's in English!

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now that is garbage and i doubt you have any evidence to support that statement (again).

So one french person wants to open a bank account in the UK and you do your usual wind up. Get a life Smeg for fcuk's sake.
Now, now Conky don't be rude.

There is an English speaking league table (I would have to google it) that does puts France at/near the bottom.

·
Banned
92 Posts
From what I have heard - FREE Healthcare, FREE Housing, FREE benefits so why would not it be busier with people looking for this? You just have to watch the news and hear the people in Calais saying I do not want to stay here, I want to go the promise land...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Most of the stuff on the UK forum is about visa applications. There's quantity for sure but I've given up going over to it looking for a genuine discussion. In the "local pub" forum there's little to gnaw on.

Maybe the people who post on the UK forum just need info, they get it then move on.

I'd say there's a lot more depth, analysis and discussion on the French and Spanish forums. I'm certainly not retired yet neither am I looking for a life; mine is hopelessly busy and chaotic.

People are always trying to get into the UK. Look at the aussie forum too, same visa questions.

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Where I was in Germany there were very few people who could or would speak English. Then again, I was working in Germany (so had to speak the language reasonably well to have gotten hired in the first place). Not many folks retire to Germany these days.

And as has been said already, many of the posts in the UK forum are visa questions where someone asks, another one answers and that's the end of the transaction. Not all that many Europeans looking to retire to the UK, either. Plus, there are plenty of queries from Commonwealth countries about immigrating to Britain. (Another vote for the language issue.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 20 of 75 Posts