Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

New to forum..so hello!

I said to myself if the Tories get in again in this country (UK) then I am off!

I have been looking at Australia for a while but cannot get my head around the visa stuff...a visa for this, a visa for that...all I want to do is visit Australia for about a year and work there legally for the time there..

I cannot make head nor tail of the Australian Embassy website regarding visas.

Anyway, here is the problem I think - I work as an IT contractor in the UK and have done for about 10 years BUT I am now 46 years old and from what I have looked at I may be too old to work legally in Australia - is this corrrect?

Bit ageist isn't this???

There are working visas for young folk but what about people my age - I don't want to work 'cash in hand' - I would look for a related IT contract job..

Any advice please folks?

Cheers,

Sq..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hiya,

I am too in UK on work visa but luckily have valid PR(189) to move to Australia and work there. I believe if you can see the option of getting PR to UK. Assuming it is much faster from UK, you can check this in the Australian immi site.
I couldn't understand your point, if Tories get in again how this will impact the prospect of working and living in UK? Could you pls explain.
Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch and learn my friend - the Tories only look after themselves - evil through and through.

..and that is why I am off....

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Watch and learn my friend - the Tories only look after themselves - evil through and through.

I think there are far worse "evil through and through" goverments in the world than the Tories in the UK. At least they were democratically elected.

Jo xxx

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,931 Posts

Hi,
I think you might be a bit deluded if you think that as an immigrant - you are going to get an easier ride in any country than you get in Britain - regardless of which party is in power in the UK.
There is no safety net when you live and work abroad - other than whatever savings you might have.
At least in the UK - you are unlikely to starve.
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Hi Folks,

New to forum..so hello!

I said to myself if the Tories get in again in this country (UK) then I am off!

I have been looking at Australia for a while but cannot get my head around the visa stuff...a visa for this, a visa for that...all I want to do is visit Australia for about a year and work there legally for the time there..

I cannot make head nor tail of the Australian Embassy website regarding visas.

Anyway, here is the problem I think - I work as an IT contractor in the UK and have done for about 10 years BUT I am now 46 years old and from what I have looked at I may be too old to work legally in Australia - is this corrrect?

Bit ageist isn't this???

There are working visas for young folk but what about people my age - I don't want to work 'cash in hand' - I would look for a related IT contract job..

Any advice please folks?

Cheers,

Sq..

But back to your original question, have a look at the "stickies" at the top of the Australian Forum page, there are lots of tips, dos and donts, advice and so on to help you to negotiate immigrating

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Jo - don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion lol.

Will check the stickies out - most sites have looked at seem to be targeting younger folk...surely age shouldn't be an issue if anyone wants to travel and work abroad - seems like Australia it is....

Cheers,

Sq..

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
The alternative to the Tories was Milliband with that awful Sturgeon woman pulling his strings. That would have been a disaster and it is her spouting off about how Labour would have to work with her that lost Labour the election.
If they had got in with her as puppet master Scotland would have bled Westminster dry. One of the SNP candidates actually said their aim was to keep all money earned in Scotland north of the border while getting as much as they could out of Westminster. No wonder people panicked and decided that the Tories were the safe option.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,931 Posts
Cheers Jo - don't want to turn this thread into a political discussion lol.

Will check the stickies out - most sites have looked at seem to be targeting younger folk...surely age shouldn't be an issue if anyone wants to travel and work abroad - seems like Australia it is....

Cheers,

Sq..
Hi,
Countries can be very self centered in the way they choose who can and can't come and work & live in them.
Australia has pretty strict visa and work rules and they use education, criminal record, age and nationality amongst other criteria when deciding who gets a visa.
There are plenty of places that will allow you entry - other than Australia.
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
The alternative to the Tories was Milliband with that awful Sturgeon woman pulling his strings. That would have been a disaster and it is her spouting off about how Labour would have to work with her that lost Labour the election.
If they had got in with her as puppet master Scotland would have bled Westminster dry. One of the SNP candidates actually said their aim was to keep all money earned in Scotland north of the border while getting as much as they could out of Westminster. No wonder people panicked and decided that the Tories were the safe option.
I'd still sooner live in the UK than Syria !!

It also has to be said that when we moved to Spain, altho I prefer the system there, there is no welfare, no healthcare (unless you have paid into the system) and very few jobs. When we returned to the UK, I actually started to appreciate it. The grass is always greener.........

Jo xxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts