Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to bring this up, but on the news here earlier they were saying that the smoking ban is going to happen in Spain in the second half of this year - its probably going to be the same kind of ban as in the UK - altho they're looking at the 100% ban they have in Ireland!!

I'm not sure that it'll go down too well in Spain as the Spanish seem to be a defiant bunch in the main!!??? It'll be interesting to see what happens. There are predictions of mass bar closures - altho most bars have outside terraces which will only be affected if they go for the 100% ban?!

Any thoughts??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I hate to bring this up, but on the news here earlier they were saying that the smoking ban is going to happen in Spain in the second half of this year - its probably going to be the same kind of ban as in the UK - altho they're looking at the 100% ban they have in Ireland!!

I'm not sure that it'll go down too well in Spain as the Spanish seem to be a defiant bunch in the main!!??? It'll be interesting to see what happens. There are predictions of mass bar closures - altho most bars have outside terraces which will only be affected if they go for the 100% ban?!

Any thoughts??

Jo xxx
So no job, no home, no hope and now no ciggies. The revolution is getting closer.

I'm not an economist but if I was Mr Shoemaker I'd increase the tax. The last thing Spain needs is less tax revenue and people living longer ;)

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts

Any thoughts??

Jo xxx
It probably won't go down too well at all!

I wish they'd get on with it though. I'm told that a lot of the bars on the seafront at the Arenal end of town have already banned smoking indoors.

I was teaching a class in the bar last night & because of the wet weather they didn't have their 'outside/inside/covered/screened' area open, so we had to sit inside. It wasn't that busy & there weren't that many smokers - but when I got home I felt like I'd smoked 20 **** myself & then bathed in smoke:eek:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I smoke but I dont go in bars so I dont care! Personally, if they're going down the "lets ban peoples freedom" route, I'd like to see alcohol banned as well as thats a far greater problem, socially, mentally and physically IMO. Also I worry about the fact that bars may have to close and even more people out of work......

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts
I don't think it will be particularly well enforced either, as Steve says - we can but hope.

Truthfully - I can't see many bars actually closing because of a smoking ban, as jojo says, so many have outside areas in any case.

I won't walk into a smoky bar (unless I have no choice like last night) & I'm sure there are a lot of non-smokers like me, so maybe the really smoky ones will just get a new set of customers

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing about Spain tho is that it isnt wrapped up in "dos and donts" certainly for me that was its appeal. I hope silly bans wont change the country - that said I dont think it will be particularly well enforced either, especially when you see some of these real campo bars, with a couple of old men having a *** and a beer to escape "her indoors". Or even some expat bars, away from the tourist towns where they all park their illegal RHD cars outside EEEKK!!

I actually find that in Spain, smoking isnt viewed as it is in the UK. In the UK I wouldnt have dreamt of smoking in the street for example. In Spain its not frowned upon in the same way. Like a pointed out on another thread, theres actually a smoking station at my daughters school for the pupils WTF!!!! That'll have to go, altho it is outside lol

I often wonder who decided to make smoking the baddie, it would have been some hidden political thing - I'll bet it wasnt a doctor! There are infinately worse things

Jo xxx

·
Registered
19,394 Posts

Any thoughts??

Jo xxx
I have no idea what will happen beyond:bored: endless tv programmes and radio debates with people speaking over each other stating the case for and against.:yawn:
BUT, I do think it's a sad situation when people say they can't go out because they can't :smokin:smoke:smokin:, so therefore bars are going to close down - :doh:for goodness sakes people - Get a Life!!
PW (ex smoker!!)

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts
I have no idea what will happen beyond:bored: endless tv programmes and radio debates with people speaking over each other stating the case for and against.:yawn:
BUT, I do think it's a sad situation when people say they can't go out because they can't :smokin:smoke:smokin:, so therefore bars are going to close down - :doh:for goodness sakes people - Get a Life!!
PW (ex smoker!!)
I think it's ridiculous that I can't go into a bar because I don't smoke

well I know I could, but why would I want to go in & inhale everyone else's smoke:rolleyes:

it was hard enough giving up smoking, without having other people causing damage to my lungs

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I think it's ridiculous that I can't go into a bar because I don't smoke

well I know I could, but why would I want to go in & inhale everyone else's smoke:rolleyes:

it was hard enough giving up smoking, without having other people causing damage to my lungs

I dont disagree, I guess I'd like to see a choice made by the people who run the bars and who use the bars, not some dictator in Brussels or wherever! Besides, there are some amazing air con units these days that could remove the smell of smoke in seconds! I dont like air con either tho!! I'm not easily pleased!!

But I very rarely go in bars anyway.

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts
I dont disagree, I guess I'd like to see a choice made by the people who run the bars and who use the bars, not some dictator in Brussels or wherever! Besides, there are some amazing air con units these days that could remove the smell of smoke in seconds! I dont like air con either tho!! I'm not easily pleased!!

But I very rarely go in bars anyway.

Jo xxx

Jo xxx
where do you go for coffee?

what you suggest is pretty much the way it stands at the moment - but I have yet to find a 'non-smoking' bar

I agree about the aircon - hate it

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where do you go for coffee?

what you suggest is pretty much the way it stands at the moment - but I have yet to find a 'non-smoking' bar

I agree about the aircon - hate it
I havent recently (billy no mates!!) , when I do, we tend to sit outside. On the odd occasion when I do into a bar I dont generally smoke - well it depends who I'm with, if I do, its usually cos those I'm with do, but I could quite happily go without, I cant say I've ever been in anywhere that I find too smoky, but that could be cos I'm a smoker and dont notice??!. If we go into a restaurant for a meal, I wouldnt dream of lighting up at all! - I'm not a "have to have a ***" type. In fact I havent had one today.

This whole ban issue isnt really about smoking to me, its about eroding peoples way of life ,and freedom of choice, ultimately turning us all into robots. and I dont believe that smoking is being banned for the good of our health - I know smoking isnt good, but I think theres more to it!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Dozens of smoke free bars where I am and in Madrid there seem more and more. In my village the signs say "Puedes fumar aqui" and not "prohibido fumar" I do however notice it in restaurants and it can be a pain when eating.

Interesting if you enter your locale here and if it throws up any surprises Locales sin humos - 20minutos.es Its not comprehensive but shows a few.

Must admit that this smoking thing seems to worry ex smokers more than non smokers. Doesn't worry me too much and I definately wouldn't want air con in my bar.

I would however like 3 or 4 cellar chilled real ales ;)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hmmm.... aye, I've heard about this and as with a lot of things in this country.....I'll believe it when I see it.:D

Round here there are quite a few places with smoking in the bar but not in the restaurant which I totally agree with (and yes, I am a leper by the way;)) unlike in France where in some of the places we've been (not big cities tho') I swear they smoke during the courses and not just in between them:eek:

Laws from Brussels are one thing but policing is another, especially out here in the sticks(ish) where the local police & guardia pop in for their coffee, nip & ciggie(s) in quite a few of the places. Would they police a smoking ban with vigour?........I could be wrong (and quite often am:confused2:) I think not but we'll see.

At the end of the day if it does come in and is policed properly.... well..... it ain't the end of the world (used to it back in cold, damp & dismal blighty) and if I have to nip outside for a smoke then.....for me.... there's no better place than here to do it:clap2:

Doggy (smoking ban?)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
jojo;2 I often wonder who decided to make smoking the baddie said:
Actually it was a doctor...the link betweeen smoking and cancer was discovered in the mid 1960s by a doctor who was puzzled by the number of patients he was treating for lung cancer. Research showed that the factor they all shared was ...smoking. Can't remember his name although I think he was called Dr. Christopher Ash, ironically.
But as far as I know no-one has said that smoking actually causes cancer and other diseases....but there is strong evidence of a link.
I think the facts should be put in front of adults who can then choose...and I would extend that to other drugs such as marijuana. There should imo be smoke-free and smokers' bars etc but restaurants should all be smoke-free.
I smoke occasionally, usually when I've had a few drinks. And yes, alcohol is the real problem: crime, illness, violence, road traffic accidents ....all down to the demon drink. (I am writing this with a glas of ice-cold fino to hand...)
So....give people the facts, let them choose, provide space for everyone in bars and cafes but not in areas where food is served and impose tax to cover costs to the health service.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
This whole ban issue isnt really about smoking to me, its about eroding peoples way of life ,and freedom of choice, ultimately turning us all into robots. and I dont believe that smoking is being banned for the good of our health - I know smoking isnt good, but I think theres more to it!!!

Jo xxx
If the Government really wanted to stop people smoking, they'd ban the import and manufacture of tobacco. But they won't because the revenue generated from taxes on tobacco is enormous.
My son brought my OH two boxes of tobacco (Drum) from Gibraltar last week, cost £6 each. In the UK each box would cost over £40. Go figure:)
No hidden agenda, no eroding freedom of choice -you can still smoke, you just can't do it where others (passive smokers) may object -but it is about hypocrisy, imo.
The Government tells you it's bad for you but happily collects the tax revenue.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the Government really wanted to stop people smoking, they'd ban the import and manufacture of tobacco. But they won't because the revenue generated from taxes on tobacco is enormous.
My son brought my OH two boxes of tobacco (Drum) from Gibraltar last week, cost £6 each. In the UK each box would cost over £40. Go figure:)
No hidden agenda, no eroding freedom of choice -you can still smoke, you just can't do it where others (passive smokers) may object -but it is about hypocrisy, imo.
The Government tells you it's bad for you but happily collects the tax revenue.

Yes! Its like the car thing too. In the UK they tell everyone cars are bad, try to make it difficult by wacking a levy on petrol, road useage, car tax etc.... Global warming is the big money spinner IMO too. I dont doubt theres a polution issue, but I struggle with the idea that adding a Carbon tax to everything will prevent it!!! Anyway, thats all another issue! A box of 200 **** in Gibralter is 11 pounds! (and petrol in Gibraltar is 66p a litre) - someones making some money out of it all!!!!

Jo xxxx

1 - 20 of 336 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.