Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day Forum Folks.

So I have arrived here with my family in Adelaide on 26 October, 2013.

Here is what we did.

1. 28 October, 2013
- Applied for Medicare (visited their office and filled-out a form)

2. 29 October, 2013
- Applied for TFN (online)
- Bought mobile phone (prepaid)
- Bought mobile broadband internet (prepaid)

3. 30 October, 2013
- Since I'm a 190 Visa for SA, I have registered for the survey question for new migrants under 190 State Sponsorship (online)
- Called Health Undertaking services, since I have signed it up before I was granted a visa, 2013

4. 5 November, 2013
- TFN arrived via post mail
- registered for Centrelink and filed benefits (online)
- searched for jobs online

5. 6 November, 2013
- Enrolled at a local driving school, $60 per hour/session.

6. 12 November, 2013
- Enrolled children at school
- first interview by recruitment agency (It is tough to find a job in IT. even in odd jobs)

7. 13 November, 2013
- Passed Written Examination (theory test) for driver's license. This costs $34.

So far, the hardest thing I am experience here are the following:
1. High cost of living
2. High cost of consumable Internet bandwidth.
3. Driving lessons are expensive
4. Tough to find a job

The other thing bugging my mind is the driver's practical VORT test. (Vehicle on Road Test) which is very strict, one road rule you break, you fail instantly... Guess how much is the cost of the test? $250..... I'm now on my 5th driving lesson, and still I make mistakes....

Now, I have to be confident, since a driver's license is really NEEDED. I need to pass that VORT.

Oh,... one more thing.... Still waiting job hunting... Hope I get a job soon in my field (IT)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, good info for new comers. But dont worry about Driving license. Worry about Job..all the best
Yup, well job really is difficult. But i do get calls from recruiters. I guess it is still too early as im here only for less than a month.

Thanks for the advise. Gives me confident for that driving exam.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks a lot for starting this thread.

I will be arriving in Adelaide end of Jan 2014, so thanks a lot for jotting down the things that need to be done once I am there.

Is there anyone from the finance field who has moved to Adelaide? Accountants?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good day Forum Folks.

Here is what we did.

1. 28 October, 2013

2. 29 October, 2013

3. 30 October, 2013
- Since I'm a 190 Visa for SA, I have registered for the survey question for new migrants under 190 State Sponsorship (online)
- Called Health Undertaking services, since I have signed it up before I was granted a visa, 2013

4. 5 November, 2013

5. 6 November, 2013

6. 12 November, 2013
- first interview by recruitment agency (It is tough to find a job in IT. even in odd jobs)

7. 13 November, 2013
- Passed Written Examination (theory test) for driver's license. This costs $34.

1. High cost of living
4. Tough to find a job

The other thing bugging my mind is the driver's practical VORT test. (Vehicle on Road Test) which is very strict, one road rule you break, you fail instantly... Guess how much is the cost of the test? $250..... I'm now on my 5th driving lesson, and still I make mistakes....

Now, I have to be confident, since a driver's license is really NEEDED. I need to pass that VORT.

Oh,... one more thing.... Still waiting job hunting... Hope I get a job soon in my field (IT)

Thanks guys

Due to which medical conditions they have asked you to sign the undertaking...I have a history of TB which I had 15 years ago but scars remain which shows in each xray..I have heard you have to sing undertaking for that...can you share any info....what medical undertaking did you signed..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Due to which medical conditions they have asked you to sign the undertaking...I have a history of TB which I had 15 years ago but scars remain which shows in each xray..I have heard you have to sing undertaking for that...can you share any info....what medical undertaking did you signed..
Hello msaeed,

The health undertaking is for the scar in lungs. Upon arrival here, i called the number indicated in the health undertaking i have signed. After 2 weeks, i received a letter which says the schedule of initial checkup with the state clinic

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for starting this thread. I will be arriving in Adelaide end of Jan 2014, so thanks a lot for jotting down the things that need to be done once I am there. Is there anyone from the finance field who has moved to Adelaide? Accountants?
Hello maddy27,

Yup, at the first week of your arrival, you need to do a lot of things.

Also, i have to add this up, a metrocard is very handy for bus transportation. I use this for payment in bus. It can also be recharged online. So that i will not have to pay cash to every bus i ride.

Adelaide city is small, so the employment conpetition is tough. This is according to the recruiters

Reactions: ambproject

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hello msaeed,

The health undertaking is for the scar in lungs. Upon arrival here, i called the number indicated in the health undertaking i have signed. After 2 weeks, i received a letter which says the schedule of initial checkup with the state clinic
Thanks for your reply...As I also have scars in lungs due to my OLD TB history..did you had the same issue...your scars were because of OLD TB..how long you have to wait for the visa as this should have been referred to MOC...same thing will happen to me...is it anything you can guide me to be prepared for before as it seems you have gone through the same which I might go also..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply...As I also have scars in lungs due to my OLD TB history..did you had the same issue...your scars were because of OLD TB..how long you have to wait for the visa as this should have been referred to MOC...same thing will happen to me...is it anything you can guide me to be prepared for before as it seems you have gone through the same which I might go also..
After moc advise of further test, we went to clinic and did sputuum test. Results for this is after 2 months. After thay, i waited for another 2 months for the health undertaking form, given by CO. After signing it, it took 1 day for the grant

·
Registered
337 Posts
After moc advise of further test, we went to clinic and did sputuum test. Results for this is after 2 months. After thay, i waited for another 2 months for the health undertaking form, given by CO. After signing it, it took 1 day for the grant
Thanks for your reply...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good day Forum Folks.

Here is what we did.

1. 28 October, 2013

2. 29 October, 2013

3. 30 October, 2013

4. 5 November, 2013

5. 6 November, 2013

6. 12 November, 2013

7. 13 November, 2013

1. High cost of living
4. Tough to find a job

Thanks guys

Hi mabilasik

In your signature, it took 5 months to get medicals done? why is it so?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi mabilasik In your signature, it took 5 months to get medicals done? why is it so?
It is because meds were referred by moc due to scar in lungs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good day Forum Folks.

Here is what we did.

1. 28 October, 2013

2. 29 October, 2013

3. 30 October, 2013

4. 5 November, 2013

5. 6 November, 2013

6. 12 November, 2013

7. 13 November, 2013

1. High cost of living
4. Tough to find a job

Thanks guys
Hi mabil

Great and thx for the update

U said high cost of living on average how much is it costing u
Can u share if possible
Enrolling ur kid to school how easy was it

Hope u can share the experience

Thx

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi mabil Great and thx for the update U said high cost of living on average how much is it costing u Can u share if possible Enrolling ur kid to school how easy was it Hope u can share the experience Thx
Enrolling child on goverment school.
1. You need to bring their previous school records
2. You need a document which says your current aussie address.
3. Pay $390 for tuition

Cost.
1. Rent $300 - 400 per week (excluding electric and water bills)
2. Mobile phone $30 per month
3. Internet $30 per 3GB for 1 month
4. Food..... Um, coke in can $2-3
Pizza small - $11
Rice 5kg - $11
Water 10L - $5
Pork - $8-20 per kilo
Chicken - $4-15 per kilo
Beef - $9-25 per kilo
Loaf bread - $4
Peanut butter - $6
Roasted chicken $12

5. Driving lesson $60 per hour
6. Practical driving exam $250
7. Written drivers exam $34
8. Bus fare $2-3.5 per ride including bus transfer
9. Doctors fee consultation - $50-$120 per visit

Reactions: Ausmaan and shamili

·
Registered
259 Posts
3. Pay $390 for tuition

Cost.
Pizza small - $11
Rice 5kg - $11
Water 10L - $5
Pork - $8-20 per kilo
Chicken - $4-15 per kilo
Beef - $9-25 per kilo
Loaf bread - $4
Peanut butter - $6
Roasted chicken $12

5. Driving lesson $60 per hour
6. Practical driving exam $250
7. Written drivers exam $34
8. Bus fare $2-3.5 per ride including bus transfer
9. Doctors fee consultation - $50-$120 per visit

For 2 points :

Tution Fees $390 : Is this per year or per month ? I believe for govt schools education is free ..

Doctor fee : Ideally this should be also free ?

Dragoman

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For 2 points : Tution Fees $390 : Is this per year or per month ? I believe for govt schools education is free .. Doctor fee : Ideally this should be also free ? Dragoman
Yup this is fee for govt school $390 is for one year. For private, it is $2000 per year. Doctor is free for those under 15 years old and should have medicare. Otherwise, you only get a rebate. Example: $50 consultation fee, you get about $18-$20 rebate if you have medicare.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yup this is fee for govt school $390 is for one year. For private, it is $2000 per year. Doctor is free for those under 15 years old and should have medicare. Otherwise, you only get a rebate. Example: $50 consultation fee, you get about $18-$20 rebate if you have medicare.

Alright I always thought .. Education & Medicals are always free in Australia !

So its not the case ....

Dragoman

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good moving. Why you havent tried getting the job before relocating?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello maddy27,

Yup, at the first week of your arrival, you need to do a lot of things.

Also, i have to add this up, a metrocard is very handy for bus transportation. I use this for payment in bus. It can also be recharged online. So that i will not have to pay cash to every bus i ride.

Adelaide city is small, so the employment conpetition is tough. This is according to the recruiters
Thanks mabilasik,

Please keep on posting your regular day to day things, if its not too much trouble. We all can read and get an idea of life there from here.

All information is much appreciated.

Goodluck for the job hunting!

·
Registered
81 Posts
3. Pay $390 for tuition

Cost.
Pizza small - $11
Rice 5kg - $11
Water 10L - $5
Pork - $8-20 per kilo
Chicken - $4-15 per kilo
Beef - $9-25 per kilo
Loaf bread - $4
Peanut butter - $6
Roasted chicken $12