Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have never used a forum before and almost feel nervous typing this message!

My husband's dream is to try 'Life in Australia' and so we are giving it some thought. The whole idea of it feels a bit crazy yet exciting but I just don't know where to start. Hoping this forum might help me.

For starters, I am wanting some advice on where might be the best place to live. We have 4 children ranging from 12 years old to 6 months! So schools are important and a safe child friendly environment. I don't want to be in the heart of a busy city but nor do I want to feel isolated and lonely. I need a community and friends and neighbours close to me!

I am a registered midwife and my husband is a supermarket store manager. Both of us intend to work in Oz.

I would really appreciate any words of advice.
If there are any Midwives reading this I would love to hear from you!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Julie,

I'm not a midwife, sorry. :)
Anywayswe have a family with 3 kids and we wanted to be close to city, in a good suburb, not too far from beaches, safe, with a nice community life.

But before than we need to choose state/city.
Maybe one of the places to start is to consider weather.

What kind of climate would be confortable for you?
Would you prefer 4 seasons or 2?

Would you miss Winter?
Do you enjoy the feel of Autumn?

After we decided on climate, we considered size of city we are confortable with, for ie. I love to so some shopping therapy once in a while, so we need to live close enough to a city.

For me Sidney is just too big, we thought of Melbourne because it does have 4 seasons, but we are moving to Brisbane in the end for family reasons.

But we decided that if after 1 or 2 years we feel Brisbane (sub-tropical) is too warm for us, we'll head to Melbourne (Mediterranean).

We considered Adelaide, but decided against it because of the lack of water.

We followed out gut instincts, and hubby went to visit both cites, last October/November to help deciding.

He LOVED Melbourne, love all those coffee places, and the markets, and beaches and everything, but, he did feel more he belonged in Brisbane, besides he does have relatives there, so we decided for Brissie in the End.

You need to research and if you can go for a quick visit before deciding.

Good luck.:plane:

Busyte

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Julie

Welcome to teh forum.

Search for Ellisa, she is a midwife too and i think on sponsored visa. she moved to Brisbane very recently. I suggest reading her posts as far as job etc go.

as for location, Busyte has already written what I wanted to :)

wish you luck, and keep coming here, its fun how all your questions are answered by everyone. I have made so many friends here which wouldnt have been possible without this forum

cheers
anj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for replying! I appreciate your comments and will give some thought to the weather/seasons.
Julie:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Obviously, what is right for me might not be right for you, but...

It was also our dream to live in Australia for a few years and we were lucky enough to be able to come on a 457 visa. We were free to choose where to live because my husband works from home and only has to visit the office one or two days a month (and he had a choice of offices in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.) We have 3 kids: 13, 12 and almost 10.
We started with the criteria: within 1 hour of an international airport and began to look at communities, houses and schools (important). To make a long story short, we ended up in a tiny NSW village of Coolangatta (not the one in Queensland) which is about 2 hours south of Sydney. It's a rural community but close enough to Nowra to make shopping easy. We've been here for 6 months and it has been the ideal move for our family. The kids have a lot of space and can be outside and independent, I've made some very good friends through the schools (parents of my kids school friends) and the neighborhood. We've found people here to be very welcoming and helpful -- everyone wants to be friends with "The Americans" as we're known here.

Warning: Some states, NSW is one of them, will charge you to send your kids to public school ($13500 for 3 kids for one year); other states don't charge. Given that you have lots of kids -- check this out before choosing a location.

Good luck! -Kiry

Hello

I have never used a forum before and almost feel nervous typing this message!

My husband's dream is to try 'Life in Australia' and so we are giving it some thought. The whole idea of it feels a bit crazy yet exciting but I just don't know where to start. Hoping this forum might help me.

For starters, I am wanting some advice on where might be the best place to live. We have 4 children ranging from 12 years old to 6 months! So schools are important and a safe child friendly environment. I don't want to be in the heart of a busy city but nor do I want to feel isolated and lonely. I need a community and friends and neighbours close to me!

I am a registered midwife and my husband is a supermarket store manager. Both of us intend to work in Oz.

I would really appreciate any words of advice.
If there are any Midwives reading this I would love to hear from you!!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

This topic has been bought up quite a lot so do a search and see what you come up with. What is 'best' for you may not be 'best' for someone else, it's very personal and subjective.

Dolly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts