Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, we are brand new to this fantastic forum and we are wondering what the internet connections are like in France. We currently live in the UK and we need super fast broadband so we can continue to work. Grateful for any information.

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
As with everything, it depends - mostly on your location. There are lots fewer ADSL deserts here in France than in many other places. But "super fast broadband" depends on what you need and how much you're willing to pay for it.

You may want to check with a professional Internet provider rather than the "consumer" ones. When we had our business, we used a company called Nerim, which provides Internet primarily to businesses and also has fibre optic available (though for a price). I think both Orange and Bouygues have their business side which may have more of the super fast lines for business if you ask (and pay) for them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
As Bev says, it depends where you live. I recommend you opt for a larger town that has fibre to the home. Here in Pau we have super high-speed internet access via fibre to the home and you would have no issues working here.

Where are you thinking of moving to?

Are you really from Broken Hill?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
We live on the outskirts of a large town, Rouen.....adsl, no cable. (yet). Usually we get 10+ mbs, but sometimes barely above 1. I can't see any reason, time of day day of week etc for the variations.

We are in the remote mountains on vacation at the moment in the s of france and I've just measured the speed at 15 mbs ..so there's a lot magic about speeds!

DejW.

Hi everyone, we are brand new to this fantastic forum and we are wondering what the internet connections are like in France. We currently live in the UK and we need super fast broadband so we can continue to work. Grateful for any information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi BrokenHillKangas,

Indeed you can use Orange, Bouygues or SFR box and trying to get fiber but it depends on your location and the fiber system is sometimes randomly install in the cities (you can live downtown and can't get it whereas suburb people can use it). I will advise you to use a company which provides Internet for businesses as well.

Wish you a good day,

Daniel

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi
We are in Paris and are fortunate enough to have fibre to our building, right to the modem in our apartment. Its great! The line usually tests at around 720Mb/s download and over 200Mb/s upload. Certainly leaves what we were getting back in Melbourne for dead. :) We regularly stream 4K TV shows, and our cloud storage behaves almost like a local drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts