Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

·
Administrator
36,698 Posts
Have I read the wrong article here Steve ? I thought this article was talking about Brit cards in the UK ? although I do think something should be done about uninsured vehicles wherever they may be ?

Sue :ranger:
I agree Sue

& I can't see how it affects illegal/uninsured cars in Spain either

or am I missing something:confused2:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree Sue

:D:D thought it was just my bad start to the morning making my brain hurt! :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree Sue

Neither can I as it will be difficult to seize cars in Spain and considering that they are worried about it affecting people abroad:
“We also have concerns that people who are abroad or in hospital for a long time when their policy runs out, could fall foul of this.”

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry if I did not explain myself.

It seems to me that all those who have uninsured cars in the UK are now going to be notified and I guess that many who thought they were "lost" are going to be concerned (polite word) when a notification comes through the door at the "convenience address" they still use in the UK asking to prove the car is scrapped or that is insured.

"The new law will change the status of an uninsured vehicle, meaning that simply keeping an uninsured vehicle, not just driving it, would be illegal

Ministers will today confirm that keeping, rather than driving, an uninsured vehicle will attract a £1,000 fine and the seizure of the car, the Times reports."

The next issue is, of course, how the government are going to find the cars to impound but Big Brother ........

A friend of mine is an insurance broker here and he is horrified with the number of expats who are driving uninsured cars. He regularly hears, "We have been meaning to get around to it" and "If you could just back-date the policy a few days" etc....!!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Sorry if I did not explain myself.

It seems to me that all those who have uninsured cars in the UK are now going to be notified and I guess that many who thought they were "lost" are going to be concerned (polite word) when a notification comes through the door at the "convenience address" they still use in the UK asking to prove the car is scrapped or that is insured.

"The new law will change the status of an uninsured vehicle, meaning that simply keeping an uninsured vehicle, not just driving it, would be illegal

Ministers will today confirm that keeping, rather than driving, an uninsured vehicle will attract a £1,000 fine and the seizure of the car, the Times reports."

The next issue is, of course, how the government are going to find the cars to impound but Big Brother ........

A friend of mine is an insurance broker here and he is horrified with the number of expats who are driving uninsured cars. He regularly hears, "We have been meaning to get around to it" and "If you could just back-date the policy a few days" etc....!!
That doesnt really stop people over here though that permanently export their cars and then dont insure them though does it Steve? It might change the status of cars in the UK, but I dont think it will make a jot of difference to the tossers over here that drive around here with no insurance

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That doesnt really stop people over here though that permanently export their cars and then dont insure them though does it Steve? It might change the status of cars in the UK, but I dont think it will make a jot of difference to the tossers over here that drive around here with no insurance
Thats what I though Strav. It drives me nuts when I see all the UK plated cars down here .. .and I know the majority havent only just arrived! and I know they will never be Spanish plated ... and I know they wont be insured !!

I do think to Spanish traffic police are making more of it though now (and rightly so!) ... I see a lot more activity on the roads with stopping UK cars now than I ever did ..

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Thats what I though Strav. It drives me nuts when I see all the UK plated cars down here .. .and I know the majority havent only just arrived! and I know they will never be Spanish plated ... and I know they wont be insured !!

I do think to Spanish traffic police are making more of it though now (and rightly so!) ... I see a lot more activity on the roads with stopping UK cars now than I ever did ..

I wish they were
Theres a guy in a big 4 x 4 jeep here thats been here since I arrived. Still UK plated, and it had advertising decals for his business all over it. Its clear hes a permanent resident .... but I assume no one has ever stopped him

·
Registered
527 Posts
The end of uninsured Brit cars in Spain .... about time too!

Insurance Times - Law to cut uninsured vehicles
OMG:eek: What should I do? I have a Cortina Mk1 (purchased by my parents in 1963 and handed down to my brother and then to me). I garaged it in 1983 (still in good working order) and it's been there ever since. Should I come out of the closet and tell DVLC?:confused:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
OMG:eek: What should I do? I have a Cortina Mk1 (purchased by my parents in 1963 and handed down to my brother and then to me). I garaged it in 1983 (still in good working order) and it's been there ever since. Should I come out of the closet and tell DVLC?:confused:
I thought you could just get a SORN certificate for cars in this situation Boden? That way you have the document certifying you own it but its officially off the road.

Thats how it used to work anyway,

Sue :plane:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Here you go .....

The only exceptions would be those registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) and kept off the road.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here you go .....

The only exceptions would be those registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) and kept off the road.

We tried to resurrect it at DVLC about 10 years ago because of the number plate (209 WWC - probably worth more than the vehicle) , but they said that they had no record of it. I wonder if we can get a SORN issued to a ghost car.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We tried to resurrect it at DVLC about 10 years ago because of the number plate (209 WWC - probably worth more than the vehicle) , but they said that they had no record of it. I wonder if we can get a SORN issued to a ghost car.
Well if its a Ghost Car they wont know its in your garage then lol :D:D

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You got there first - my beef is the 100000s of expat cars with no MOTs/ITVs and insurance - especially RHDs!

2004 the mayor of Rojales stood with police at road blocks as the police confiscated car after car and lectured the expat drivers. "You are welcome to live and work in MY town, if you obey MY rules". I think people sometimes do not accept /realise the power of the mayor in Spain - MUCH more powerful than the figureheads in the UK. In Torrevieja the mayor has recently taken over ACTIVE control of the Policia Local.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You got there first - my beef is the 100000s of expat cars with no MOTs/ITVs and insurance - especially RHDs!

2004 the mayor of Rojales stood with police at road blocks as the police confiscated car after car and lectured the expat drivers. "You are welcome to live and work in MY town, if you obey MY rules". I think people sometimes do not accept /realise the power of the mayor in Spain - MUCH more powerful than the figureheads in the UK. In Torrevieja the mayor has recently taken over ACTIVE control of the Policia Local.
You haven't been able to get away with driving an uninsured car over here for ages now, what with portable scanners that can tell immediately if your car has up to date mot, tax and insurance. Road side stop checks for all cars too as maintenance and ease of acquiring dodgy mot's is becoming a big problem.

Anyways back to point, if you couldn't drive/export your car without first getting insurance coverage in Spain might be a start. Alot of people here as well as the foreigners who come into this country dont seem to realise the insurance from your own country will not cover you in another country. For those few, education on the matter would do. For the rest, impounded cars, hefty fines and repeating offenders.. BANS!!! :clap2:

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...and prison.

Driving a dodgy car (brakes, steering etc) at 100km/h is as dangerous as walking down the street with a laoded gun. An accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hi my name is Jimmy and have moved to Torrox Costa on the 27th june 2009 with my uk registered citroen c4 picasso which just happens to be my mobility car which i have purchased legally in the uk using my armed forces disability pension and i just would like anyone on this forum of which i have been a member of for well over a year now that if they see my 57 plated citroen on the road that i am driving this vehile in Spain totally legal, taxed until November 30th and insured fully comp with liberty alliance at a great cost to my wife and i,so please do not tar everyone driving a uk vehicle as all been tax avoiding dodgers,thank you

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.