Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Nabq Bay has turned into a right nightmare.

The internet cable has been cut from Naama Bay to Nabq and has been non-operational since 3am Friday.

Internet dongles such as vodafone, etisalat, mobinil are proving too slow to use skype, hook up to my VPN or download emails into outlook as I hook up to a dedicated secure server.

Nobody knows when ADSL will ever run at the complex, if at all, and its had a serious impact on my business. I have had to travel to Naama everyday just to be able to fulfil customer orders, upload and amend details on my website and do internet banking.

I can't even watch youtube or listen to internet radio or music that's how bad it is.

I have signed my contract for my villa in Hadaba and will be moving out of this place ASAP.

Travels to Western Union in Naama have proved painful as trips to Barclays, many shops are just shutting here and after spending most of my time in Naama the only thing I think it has in its favour is Horizon Beach, the area has it's charm but no real places to shop and in my opinion has turned very much into the "acne of the Red Sea" I am just glad I did not buy the place here, the hyper market has yet to open and Hard Rock Cafe has been opening "inshallah NEVER" and remains an eyesore.

Guess it will make a change as well from the 3 main "pubs" here 2 of which have owners which many people just don't like, the one pub however is fantastic I think many residents know which one that is but don't drop names.

I will also be glad to get away from the tatty Jasmine Centre and Arab Sat and those "huts" across from McDonalds where I get hassled daily if I want "sharmoota" "hashish" and anything else

HADABA / Naama here I come yalla yalla yalla!!!

If your planning of spending a holiday in Nabq - think twice

·
Registered
789 Posts
Be careful when you write such negative posts as people who do not know the truth will get the wrong idea.

Nabq is a beautiful place, whether to live or to come on holiday. Last week cables were cut in Naama Bay, a few days later in Nabq Bay. It is *someone* trying to cause trouble to the banks and the knock on effect being general unrest. *Someone* is trying to prove the NEED for security forces. I need not say more.

Internet dongles have always been sufficient for youtube, Outlook etc, but all ISPs are currently struggling due to the attacks on internet, it is NOT because of Nabq Bay. If I took my dongle to Hadaba it is the same story, if you called your ISP they would also explain they are having problems. It happened around a month ago too, got back to normal, but is happening again now.

Anyway, the point of my post is the nationwide problems of internet should not mean you putting off people traveling to a beautiful area of the country. We are struggling enough with business and tourism without needless remarks as this.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I disagree, post-revolution everyone has the right to complain and express their opinions, Horus included. Continuing a culture of silence and acceptance of the status quo is not going to solve the country's problems.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I disagree, post-revolution everyone has the right to complain and express their opinions, Horus included. Continuing a culture of silence and acceptance of the status quo is not going to solve the country's problems.
Post revolution or pre revolution, wherever you are and whoever you are, everybody has the right to freedom of speech. I do not dispute that and never will. I am not saying his opinion is wrong and mine right. An opinion is an opinion after all.

What I am saying is that tourism in Sharm is struggling and holiday makers are being put off without any justified reason. I have spent time recently with a lot of people on holiday, in Nabq Bay, and none of them wanted to leave and all of them can't wait to come back. There is no danger in Nabq Bay, or anywhere else in Sharm or Hurghada, that should make someone think twice about being on holiday here, yet many people at home trawling the internet are not booking holidays to Egypt this year coz they see trouble on TV and don't understand Sharm is a world away from it all.

Local trade is suffering and Egyptians as a result are suffering. Many people are trying very hard to bring back tourism and flippant comments such as "If your planning of spending a holiday in Nabq - think twice" are going to be read by potential holiday makers and could have an unnecessarily negative effect.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Once again the silly man puts his big foot in it.

We are beginning to find you obnoxious Horus. You are not the designated spokesperson for the Tourism Development Authority, but their security officials will be looking very carefully into your statements.

Alan.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took my dongle to Naama and Hadaba and have had NO issues.

Sharm el Sheikh is the BEST place in the world and Nabq used to be a buzzing place, now it looks run down and shabby, even the Jasmine Centre sign has missing lighted letters.

Facilities and supermarkets are lacking, fact is we have 3 main pubs, one which is always empty.

Naama Bay has everything a tourist or resident could want and is ideally situated for banks such as barclays, you have carrefour and various places where you can eat and it's very vibrant. If anyone can find charm in Arab Sat I would like to know it looks very tired

Naama comes alive on the night and is buzzing - and Hadaba is quiet enough but yet closely situated to enjoy everything that Naama can offer.

Nabq has its charm but compared to Naama it is run down and shabby and in my opinion the acne of Sharm and has no atmosphere, the sinai mountains however are stunning.

I will get photos up in the next few days and people can decide for themselves -

Maybe once Hard Rock Cafe and the hypermarket get finished it will have more to offer rather than daily trips to get what I need, there is not even a western union here

As for security officials I am sure they have bigger fish to fry I am really scared and shaking suppose some guy will be running off to El Tor with a clip board :ranger: if they come for me with the broom handles I will drop them 200LE and ask if I can edit my post since when it is a crime to state somewhere is drabby and looks run down and lacks facilities.

The place has turned into a ghost town...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Dear Horus. You stated that would
also be glad to get away from the tatty Jasmine Centre and Arab Sat and those "huts" across from McDonalds where I get hassled daily if want "sharmoota" "hashish" and anything else ... and it may be your opinion but it's libelous.

As Sam said, the current situation in Egypt requires careful nurturing, not slagging-off to the readers who may be thinking of visiting the top hotels in Nabq which offer more than your style of enjoyment that these posts of yours suggest. That part of South Sinai also needs the tourists to keep up the progress.

It will not be the security you will be watching out for, but the thugs that are still around who happily take a few dollars to keep people quiet. That's a tip by the way, not a threat.

Please make sure you keep to facts and not speculate on things that are clearly out of your realm of imagination.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will not be the security you will be watching out for, but the thugs that are still around who happily take a few dollars to keep people quiet. That's a tip by the way, not a threat.

Please make sure you keep to facts and not speculate on things that are clearly out of your realm of imagination.
I will get photos posted and people can then have an objective view

Fact is I get hassled to buy hashish and "sharmoota" or massage with a happy ending.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Prostitution, illegal drugs, hassles from vendors,lack of basic hygiene is a daily-occurrence in Egypt. Fact. It is also something we have discussed many times.

It is not up to Horus or indeed this forum to flog holidays to Egypt This is an expat forum not a holiday forum,. Let the Egyptian people and authorities clean up their tourist act and then see if the tourists come back..

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And what facts do you present in your statements?

Absolutely nothing.
Here is a BBC article that highlights the hassles that people get which include offers of hashish, cocaine and "Russian women"

BBC News - Egypt's resorts suffer after revolution

I am just off now to take photos of this resort so people can decide for themselves if it is the jewel in the crown - or the acne of the red sea.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well each to their own but what I really dont understand Horus if you hate Egyptians and Egypt as much as you make out, then why do you stay there and why are you allowing your family to make the big move out there.

I do not think Nabq will miss you. I am sure all the middle aged overweight women you keep talking about around your pool wont miss you either!

Nabq is a work in progress and yes things are taking a while. Naama bay was not built in a day and that place can look shabby on a daytime walk through there on close inspection.

Yes I am sure you can walk around a take lots of photos of shabby run down areas - none of us really want to see these, but I am sure you could look in the opposite direction and take photos of gorgeous areas too. Basically its the mind and eyes you are looking through. If you want to see crap, you will see crap, if you want to see palm trees and paradise you will see that.

Go enjoy Hadaba until you get fed up there as well.

Sadly I do not think Egypt is for you and I really cannot understand why you insist on living there when you have nothing good to say about the place. nabq is actually one of my favourite places in Sharm so each to their own.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well each to their own but what I really dont understand Horus if you hate Egyptians and Egypt as much as you make out, then why do you stay there and why are you allowing your family to make the big move out there.

I do not think Nabq will miss you. I am sure all the middle aged overweight women you keep talking about around your pool wont miss you either!

Nabq is a work in progress and yes things are taking a while. Naama bay was not built in a day and that place can look shabby on a daytime walk through there on close inspection.

Yes I am sure you can walk around a take lots of photos of shabby run down areas - none of us really want to see these, but I am sure you could look in the opposite direction and take photos of gorgeous areas too. Basically its the mind and eyes you are looking through. If you want to see crap, you will see crap, if you want to see palm trees and paradise you will see that.

Go enjoy Hadaba until you get fed up there as well.

Sadly I do not think Egypt is for you and I really cannot understand why you insist on living there when you have nothing good to say about the place. nabq is actually one of my favourite places in Sharm so each to their own.
I don't hate Egypt or Egyptians, it's the best place on earth to live.

Nabq does has it charm but has turned quite run down and shabby

As for middle aged and fat around the pool these people are below the age of 25 - quite scary and if they keep eating like that they will have serious health problems

I am just in the process of uploading the photos and people will be able to see for themselves how run down it is, and these are the major areas I am talking about.

The photos will show what was a once thriving resort is now a ghost town in the final death throws going into decay and very much will tell the outside world "Nabq is closed for business"

·
Registered
823 Posts
This is part of the Sierra Resort Complex, Nabq Bay. Ever since I have been here there has been an issue with raw sewage filling this parking lot, it comes up out the drain and on the night a pack of wild dogs that roam the area come to drink from the water, I am just waiting for this area to fill up to get another photo - and of the dogs as well

The dog population however seems to be dwindling, my friend at the complex said his dog was sick for over week and probably had eaten some poison but my nose soon followed me to one of the dead dogs that are thrown out just like rubbish

IMAGE REMOVED

Here is just inside the entrance of Sierra Resort Complex, Nabq Bay, Sinai. When you come in this is the first thing you see and I have never seen anyone working on this area, just like entering through the gates of Dachau. These are the photos the developers DON'T want you to see

Here is the tiny shack to the entrance the entire area is almost like a building site, internet connection very poor and constant complaints, most times I go to the control room its shut or I ring the bell and the guy is sleeping

Next to the Sierra Resort complex you find the "Grand Mall" NOT so grand as it is tatty and run down with almost every shop closed - and the shops that are open sell tatty merchandise and you are hard pressed to find fixed priced groceries - there is nothing here of great interest. If someone can find a shop here that can be of use to tourists or residents please let me know as its all rubbish and tat. You can see the area is DEAD nobody can be seen here as nobody is drawn to the area. some of these photos are also from the tatty "Jasmine Centre" where I get hassled to buy hashish

This is "Arab Sat" next to the Jasmine Centre, it features a few restaurants venture inside and judge for yourself what the hygiene is like, you will find one that has a giant rusty drum and filthy furniture you won't want to sit down on, the food however is delicious I give them credit where credit is due

This is the parking lot by Arab sat which is like one giant rubbish tip, if you want a car puncture be sure to park here, of course the locals will come and sit on your car as well when your not looking

Here you can see just by Arab Sat / Jasmine Centre some piece of car it's been there for weeks, the rubbish has been there for months, it makes the place into an eyesore and the acne of the Red Sea - Nabq Bay rated? judge for yourself

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the so called "Hyper Market" nothing Hyper about these guys have been dragging the feet for ages

A few steps away you will find this monstrosity - work in the making? More like Beirut in recovery phase

Nothing to rock on about at the "Hard Rock Cafe" either. The bags of rubbish say it all, work in the making for years, not months. If your a young person nothing much here for you to do really besides go to one of the 3 main pubs. The resort is like a building site

This is where Mc Donalds and KFC are, the sports bar near the top the last time i checked is closed

Here are the DREADED HUTS across from Mc Donalds - AVOID at all costs, you will see I had only come close and some guy spotted me - he has got the pink shirt and tacky silver hat - to flog me his wares. Nothing of value here and where I was offered "sharmoota & hashish" I was also offered a life jacket at 8000 LE that could be bought at Carrefour for 120 LE - of course he was doing me a favour.

Here is where you will get your fixed priced groceries, always clean and friendly staff but watch out they don't short change you, notice the shop next door is shut - as are many shops here

Be sure to take cash with you however I can't say how many times the bank machines simply are out of order because they dont get refilled or have some fault

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
I am sure there are lovely places as well but I understand why you took the photos, doesn't really matter how nice other bits are people will always remember coming across a dead dog, pools of sewage, hassle etc.
When I was in the restaurant trade we always served great complimentary coffee after a meal no cheap stuff or second best but the very best we could brew so that customers left our place with a great memory. Too many places offer great dishes then let themselves down by skimping on the finishing touches, coffee, napery etc and sadly this is what Egypt does all too well and they let the country, the people and more importantly the tourist who are coming to spend money down.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is La Strada, the area reminds me a bit of Soviet Style Bulgaria, if you want your usual tat and to get hassled and buy useless items come here

The background of La Strada has a skyline of half finished buildings, a total eyesore

Nabq Bay is dying just like these sorry looking palm trees on the way back, a very sad state of affairs

At least the workers at the Sierra Complex have made it home from home, here they camp out, I feel very sorry for them, right in front of a pit lined with rubbish

These are photos from the main area walking about 3 miles down the main road, not some side road. Judge yourself and see from the facts - think twice about coming to Nabq Bay. I want to thank Eco Mariner for giving me the motivation to take these photos, more coming real soon to a website near you

1 - 20 of 76 Posts