Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Given the time line, she'll just be a placeholder until the U.S. election is decided.

It is June. Can she get approved and get in place by November? Mexican power brokers won't engage until they know the results of the U.S. election the following November. If Hillary wins, they will accept her, and more. If a Republican wins, she'll immediately be a lame duck and no Mexican with ties to power will want to be associated with her.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
She's highly qualified for the position, and someone with a deep knowledge of Mexico and also well-known to the Mexican political class. The USA has been without an Ambassador to Mexico for some time now, due to political games in Washington. In the past couple of decades, I think the USA has a good record of appointing decently-qualified Ambassadors to Mexico.

·
Banned
352 Posts
Given the time line, she'll just be a placeholder until the U.S. election is decided.

It is June. Can she get approved and get in place by November? Mexican power brokers won't engage until they know the results of the U.S. election the following November. If Hillary wins, they will accept her, and more. If a Republican wins, she'll immediately be a lame duck and no Mexican with ties to power will want to be associated with her.
Rubbish.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Apparently she was the US lead on the recent Cuban negotiations (I'm not sure what is the true end result there). For all her US political clout I'm not sure that in the world's eye Hillary ever commanded much respect. I hope this woman can in Mexico.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Apparently she was the US lead on the recent Cuban negotiations
Yes, she was credited by the President and the Department of State as the 'lead' negotiator and the face of the policy shift testifying before the US. Congress.

... (I'm not sure what is the true end result there).
In the short term, Julia Sweig, a Cuba and Brazil scholar at the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs in Austin, says Obama will continue to use executive authority to open U.S.-Cuba ties around trade, investment, banking, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and travel. This, she predicts, may create "a political dynamic that would ultimately shift opinion inside Congress to eventually repeal, or no longer enforce, Helms-Burton."
Source: U.S.-Cuba Relations - Council on Foreign Relations

I think most people understand what the "true end result there" will be. I think it'll be an end to the embargo, normalization of the relationship between the USA and Cuba ... and a better life for Cubans.

For all her US political clout I'm not sure that in the world's eye Hillary ever commanded much respect. I hope this woman can in Mexico.
My recollection is that foreign leaders who've dealt with Hillary Clinton have a strong preference for her, as she moves toward the Presidential election. And I think here image amongst populations abroad is probably much better than any of the GOP hopefuls would imagine for themselves.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
She's highly qualified for the position, and someone with a deep knowledge of Mexico and also well-known to the Mexican political class. The USA has been without an Ambassador to Mexico for some time now, due to political games in Washington. In the past couple of decades, I think the USA has a good record of appointing decently-qualified Ambassadors to Mexico.
I don't know about their qualifications, but most of them cannot even speak Spanish, that should be a main point to become an Ambassador

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
I don't know about their qualifications, but most of them cannot even speak Spanish, that should be a main point to become an Ambassador
I don't think you're accurate when you say "most of them cannot even speak Spanish" when referring to United States Ambassadors to Mexico appointed these past 25 years. My recollection is that only one Ambassador during that lengthy period was not fluent in Spanish: Former U.S. Congressman James Jones, who was appointed by President Clinton in 1989 to assist with the implementation of NAFTA.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't think you're accurate when you say "most of them cannot even speak Spanish" when referring to United States Ambassadors to Mexico appointed these past 25 years. My recollection is that only one Ambassador during that lengthy period was not fluent in Spanish: Former U.S. Congressman James Jones, who was appointed by President Clinton in 1989 to assist with the implementation of NAFTA.
Ok, what I meant was: most US Ambassadors speak funny Spanish, the new one speaks much better
There are many Americans that can speak Spanish properly, being an Ambassador is very very important, and most of the Ambassadors speak funny Spanish.
South African Ambassador for Mexico and some other Spanish speaking Countries, Sandile Nogxina, does not even speak Spanish!

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
I don't think you understand what the role of an Ambassador is, Gary. :confused:

As for "... most US Ambassadors speak funny Spanish ...": I'm assuming you haven't listened to the "funny" English most of the Ambassadors Mexico has sent to serve in the USA and whom I've listened to speak. :spit:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I don't think you understand what the role of an Ambassador is, Gary. :confused:

As for "... most US Ambassadors speak funny Spanish ...": I'm assuming you haven't listened to the "funny" English most of the Ambassadors Mexico has sent to serve in the USA and whom I've listened to speak. :spit:
No, I don't understand what an Ambassador's role is. Would you be as kind as to explain it to me? By the way, now that you are going to enlighten me with your wisdom, please tell me what gives you the ability to understand it better than me.

I was called a jingoist the other day, perhaps you are being the same today.
We are talking about the American Ambassador in Mexico.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No, I don't understand what an Ambassador's role is. Would you be as kind as to explain it to me? By the way, now that you are going to enlighten me with your wisdom, please tell me what gives you the ability to understand it better than me.

I was called a jingoist the other day, perhaps you are being the same today.
We are talking about the American Ambassador in Mexico.
Don't let this guy get under your skin. He must have a lot of free time on his hands.

I found this article interesting (apparently an embassy is the people, not the building)
Diplomatic mission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
No, I don't understand what an Ambassador's role is. Would you be as kind as to explain it to me?
Thank you, for illustrating my point.

I was called a jingoist the other day, perhaps you are being the same today. We are talking about the American Ambassador in Mexico.
Fair enough. :)

Yes, the U.S. Ambassadors to Mexico have, at least for the past 25 years, spoken pretty good Spanish with few exceptions. Maybe their level of Spanish/accent doesn't mirror how someone native-born in Mexico speaks.

I think it's more likely than not (judging by some of what you've written in various responses on this forum) you probably don't comprehend, write or speak English in the same tone and with the same pronunciation and familiarity with the English vocabulary as persons who've been born in the USA and lived there most if not all of their lives do. For example: expats from the USA or Canada who are living in Mexico. :eek:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thank you, for illustrating my point.

Fair enough. :)

Yes, the U.S. Ambassadors to Mexico have, at least for the past 25 years, spoken pretty good Spanish with few exceptions. Maybe their level of Spanish/accent doesn't mirror how someone native-born in Mexico speaks.

I think it's more likely than not (judging by some of what you've written in various responses on this forum) you probably don't comprehend, write or speak English in the same tone and with the same pronunciation and familiarity with the English vocabulary as persons who've been born in the USA and lived there most if not all of their lives do. For example: expats from the USA or Canada who are living in Mexico. :eek:
I disagree with you on that. Most, and I mean MOST of the US Ambassadors in Mexico do not speak good Spanish.

You didn't tell me why you could comprehend what an Ambassador is and why I could not.
Seems to me that you are not better qualified than me to understand it.

You don't know me and we have not personally met and talked, therefore you cannot judge my understanding of English.

To me, English is a second language, but I can write, speak and understand it much better than those Ambassadors with Spanish. By the way, not only people that were born in the US speak English. And not all native English speakers have the same accent, wording and pronunciation.

It is understandable that foreigners to have an accent, John Negroponte once said that some party was "elevando fondos" trying to say "raising funds" Come on!!!!:juggle:
te hablo pa atras! (I call you back)

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
I disagree with you on that. Most, and I mean MOST of the US Ambassadors in Mexico do not speak good Spanish.
Okay. Which ones do you think didn't speak good Spanish?

You didn't tell me why you could comprehend what an Ambassador is and why I could not.
Because, it seems to me, you fixate over whether an Ambassador has perfect or excellent command of the language more than you seem concerned that they're fulfilling the responsibilities which they've been assigned:

Department Organization

You don't know me and we have not personally met and talked, therefore you cannot judge my understanding of English.
I do believe it's possible to form an opinion about someone's English language comprehension and their level of writing skills using vocabulary .. when reading what they write. I've formed such an opinion.

To me, English is a second language, but I can write, speak and understand it much better than those Ambassadors with Spanish.
Sorry, but I doubt the accuracy of what you're saying in that remark.

By the way, not only people that were born in the US speak English. And not all native English speakers have the same accent, wording and pronunciation.
Nor are all Spanish-speaking people born in Mexico or do they speak with the same vocabulary, accent or pronunciation.

:)

·
Banned
2,684 Posts

The Mexican government welcomes the nomination of Roberta S. Jacobson as the new ambassador of the United States in our country. Jacobson is notable for her outstanding diplomatic career in the Foreign Service and civil service in her country.

Mexico expressed gratitude and appreciation to outgoing Ambassador Anthony Wayne, whose management has deepened and widened the bilateral agenda.
Read more: Mexico Welcomes the Nomination of Jacobson as US Ambassador

The Guadalajara Reporter also has a story about this, and you can read it if you click here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts