Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 'New to Dubai and & Looking for Friends" thread #3 - Introduce yourself here :)

Our previous 'New to Dubai and looking for friends' thread has reached 90 pages long, so time for a new one :)

This is the 'official' thread for new expat introductions and making friends.

Post here if you are new to Dubai and tell us a little bit about yourself! Where do you come from? How long you've been in Dubai for? Did you move here on your own or with your partner/family? How are you finding it?

Also keep an eye on the forum as expat get togethers are being organised very often, and that is a great way to meet new people and make friends.

Just a couple of things:

1. As a friendly reminder, please keep in mind that the main purpose of this forum is to exchange information about moving to Dubai. Making new friends is a recurrent topic, hence this thread. However this is not a dating forum and posts of such nature, or that look like 'dating profiles' are often reported by forum users and deleted immediately (this applies to all the forum sections and countries).

2. Also please note that the purpose of this thread is INTRODUCTIONS and NOT chit chat.

Welcome, enjoy Dubai, and enjoy the forum!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all <waves>

I've been lurking for a while, thought it was time I introduced myself rather than just reading the boards and absorbing all the info!

Myself and my husband will be landing in the sandpit on Friday...so about to go fully fledged expat any day now...he is transferring out with his company and I'll be job hunting when I get there.

We're leaving bonny Scotland to come there (though he's a Sassenach!), I'm late 30s, female, no children in tow and like triathlon, books, wine, cooking, camping, the outdoors, any water based activities, drinking beer, travelling and good chat with lovely people.

We'll be living in JLT for about three weeks, then going to Jumeirah...so I will take my courage in both hands and try to make a meet soon :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to Dubia

Hello, my name is David and I am from San Antonio, Tx.
I moved to Dubai to do real estate in Sales & Leasing . I love Dubai!
I am interested in making new friends here.

Our previous 'New to Dubai and looking for friends' thread has reached 90 pages long, so time for a new one :)

This is the 'official' thread for new expat introductions and making friends.

Post here if you are new to Dubai and tell us a little bit about yourself! Where do you come from? How long you've been in Dubai for? Did you move here on your own or with your partner/family? How are you finding it?

Also keep an eye on the forum as expat get togethers are being organised very often, and that is a great way to meet new people and make friends.

Just a couple of things:

1. As a friendly reminder, please keep in mind that the main purpose of this forum is to exchange information about moving to Dubai. Making new friends is a recurrent topic, hence this thread. However this is not a dating forum and posts of such nature, or that look like 'dating profiles' are often reported by forum users and deleted immediately (this applies to all the forum sections and countries).

2. Also please note that the purpose of this thread is INTRODUCTIONS and NOT chit chat. Off topic chit chat should go on The Lounge.

Welcome, enjoy Dubai, and enjoy the forum!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello

Hello

My name is David Wies and I moved to Dubai three weeks ago. I curently live in JLT. I love it here. If there is anything I can do to help you and your family find a place to live, since I am a Realitor here, I would be more than happy to assist you with what ever information you require.

Thank you and have a safe trip here.

David Wies

Hello all <waves>

I've been lurking for a while, thought it was time I introduced myself rather than just reading the boards and absorbing all the info!

Myself and my husband will be landing in the sandpit on Friday...so about to go fully fledged expat any day now...he is transferring out with his company and I'll be job hunting when I get there.

We're leaving bonny Scotland to come there (though he's a Sassenach!), I'm late 30s, female, no children in tow and like triathlon, books, wine, cooking, camping, the outdoors, any water based activities, drinking beer, travelling and good chat with lovely people.

We'll be living in JLT for about three weeks, then going to Jumeirah...so I will take my courage in both hands and try to make a meet soon :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm late 30s, female, no children in tow and like [...], wine, cooking, [...], any water based activities, drinking beer,
I think we will get along just fine :eyebrows:

I'm late 30s, female, [...] and like triathlon, books, [...], camping, the outdoors, [...], travelling and good chat with lovely people.
Unfortunately, you should also get along with my wife just fine :tsk:

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Hello

My name is David Wies and I moved to Dubai three weeks ago. I curently live in JLT. I love it here. If there is anything I can do to help you and your family find a place to live, since I am a Realitor here, I would be more than happy to assist you with what ever information you require.

Thank you and have a safe trip here.

David Wies
:D So, I guess you are also looking for friends as well as just finding people places to live ?

Reactions: akire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not really new to Dubai anymore but new to this forum

My name is Sandrine and I'm from Switzerland, I moved here from Switzerland in January. I came with my British husband and our 22 month son.

Still struggling to make friends even though we've been here a while. Any other stay at home mum out here wanting to meet up for a coffee and playdate, let me know!

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to dubai

Hi,
im moving to Dubai in 2 weeks, and i really want to find new friends to go out to the beach, clubs,bars or just for a coffee..hope it's not that hard to get friends as it seems right now :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a single mum (one kid 9year old), working working working like most of us here but looking to find new friends to spend sometime with , chat, coffee, bbq. Can feel so lonely in this city of lights.. I like outdoors, movies, simple life, salsa.. I am late 30's myself and looking for similar age or older friends. Originally I am from LT, but live very long time abroad (US, MT and UAE 7th year).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, I'm Andy 24 from UK

Been here for a year but the friends I have met have left or are leaving...

Need to meet some young like minded people! Drop me a PM

·
Registered
374 Posts
<waves hello> Should I be worried or pleased?? :eek:
You obviously should be pleased that one of the nicest guys around here thinks you sound swell (even though you are English) :D

However, wifey and I do have a 14 month old in tow so you guys may be the ones avoiding us :tongue1:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just moved over to Dubai from the United States (Boston) about 3 weeks ago. I left my job at one consulting firm so I could come over here and work at another. I am an environmental scientist, so the draw to the UAE comes natural, considering the explosive rate of construction here and some of the more unique environmental challenges they face here. My family moved here for work about a year ago, and I have decided to join them for, who knows how long.
My previous work had me traveling to a new place every 3 weeks, and I did that for the last 2 years since I graduated college. I would predominately just stay in for the most part, since I only had about 4 days off a month. Now that things are "normalized," maybe I shouldn't stay inside and just play video games (I'm quite the enthusiast) - I would like to actually get out and meet some people for the first time, in a long* while.

This is place is beautiful and I don't know quite what to make of it yet. It's saturated. Would someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome weazel, I'm a gamer too, but I actually haven't played much of anything since I moved here. I'm from Phoenix. Where are you living?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome weazel, I'm a gamer too, but I actually haven't played much of anything since I moved here. I'm from Phoenix. Where are you living?
I have had the good fortune to move over to the Springs. It seems pretty nice but I don't have much of a baseline to compare it to.

Shooter and RTS fan here (PC.) How about you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello forum!

I'm incredibly new, followed an old college friend out here chasing a pot of gold. I haven't really settled in yet, and would like to meet some people and start enjoying this place. For the time being I'm staying with Mr. Weazel, who just recently posted in this thread, he's a bit more of a homebody while I'm more apt to explore. So here's to it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm strictly a console gamer, but sadly my xbox is collecting dust! I'm sure someone will chime in soon about the Thursday Night Drinks group on FB.. I have yet to go because my schedule is awkward, but I hear it's good fun.

1 - 20 of 541 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.