Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

Its been long since I logged into the forum... Feels good to be back to share with you all our journey so far.

We arrived at Canberra on 6th Jan,2012. Have some great friends who supported us in our initial phase, such a blessing with two young kids in tow :).

We managed to rent a nice Townhouse within 3 weeks ( but it seemed like eternity and a zillion applications for rentals!), it is located in a good suburb with good Primary school. The rent is a bit steep at $560 per week, but it helped that it is a fully furnished 3 Bedroom set up which we needed for our family so we didn't have to put down money into buying things to set up, we just moved in with our bags! :clap2:

Son who's 9 yrs started school (Year 4) in February and has settled in well , enjoying school and made some nice friends too.

We purchased a New Hyundai Accent (Demo car deal!) as we couldn't find a suitable second hand which we were comfortable with.:eek:

Husband landed a job in his line of profession two weeks ago and I have an Offer to join in a nice Uni job starting April.:clap2::clap2:

Made some nice new friends too which is an added bonus....:)

So things are looking good as of now, despite all the initial anxieties we still go through.

That's all for now.... shall keep the forum friends posted on how we progress.... :)

Sunita

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good to read and very encouraging for those who are planning to move in near future.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Friends,

Its been long since I logged into the forum... Feels good to be back to share with you all our journey so far.

We arrived at Canberra on 6th Jan,2012. Have some great friends who supported us in our initial phase, such a blessing with two young kids in tow :).

We managed to rent a nice Townhouse within 3 weeks ( but it seemed like eternity and a zillion applications for rentals!), it is located in a good suburb with good Primary school. The rent is a bit steep at $560 per week, but it helped that it is a fully furnished 3 Bedroom set up which we needed for our family so we didn't have to put down money into buying things to set up, we just moved in with our bags! :clap2:

Son who's 9 yrs started school (Year 4) in February and has settled in well , enjoying school and made some nice friends too.

We purchased a New Hyundai Accent (Demo car deal!) as we couldn't find a suitable second hand which we were comfortable with.:eek:

Husband landed a job in his line of profession two weeks ago and I have an Offer to join in a nice Uni job starting April.:clap2::clap2:

So things are looking good as of now, despite all the initial anxieties we still go through.

That's all for now.... shall keep the forum friends posted on how we progress.... :)

Sunita
Awesome!

Is your husband in IT? How did he applied for jobs - agents/directly to companies?

-Melbourne

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congratulations. Thanks for sharing the info. It helps in taking decision to move.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi Friends,

Sunita
Great, thanks for sharing your experience. Its very motivating and encouraging . :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Melbourne,

My husband is a Hospitality professional and I am a Policy and Planning Manager (General). We both found jobs directly with companies through Seek....

Sunita
Awesome!

Is your husband in IT? How did he applied for jobs - agents/directly to companies?

-Melbourne

Reactions: melbourne

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Friends,

Sunita
Hello Sunita,

It's very encouraging to hear such a good news.

I wish you and your family a great future ahead.

Regards,
Vickey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Friends,

Sunita

hello Sunita

I have my 176 state sponsored (ACT) visa approved recently. We are planning to make a short trip in Apr~May period to activate the visa.

Not sure if you did something similar. But since you are in Canberra, just wanted to take some suggestions on hotels to stay and possible things that we could do at Canberra. Me and wife with 2 kids are planning to visit from Chennai.
Search on the web has an overwhelming lot of information and is difficult to decide where to start from as I dont have any friends at Canberra ( I have a couple of them in Adelaide who doesnt have know much about ACT).

Appreciate any inputs and pointers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi

Let me know when u plan to arrive, how many days you want to stay here, any approx budget.... are you looking for a Hotel or a studio apartment etc. We'll then try and find something suitable.

are you from Chennai?

write in back on mail to me on [email protected]

Sunita

hello Sunita

I have my 176 state sponsored (ACT) visa approved recently. We are planning to make a short trip in Apr~May period to activate the visa.

Not sure if you did something similar. But since you are in Canberra, just wanted to take some suggestions on hotels to stay and possible things that we could do at Canberra. Me and wife with 2 kids are planning to visit from Chennai.
Search on the web has an overwhelming lot of information and is difficult to decide where to start from as I dont have any friends at Canberra ( I have a couple of them in Adelaide who doesnt have know much about ACT).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unable to PM u....
send me a mail on [email protected] and we'll try and sort out your requirements :)

sunita
hello Sunita

·
Registered
132 Posts
In Canberra look for furnished apartments at Kingston. Best way to look into prices would be to look into wotif.com. I found Canberra to be extremely small both in terms of size and opportunities.

Canberra would be ideal for public sector jobs. 2 bedroom apartment hotels prices range from 170/night.

Regards,
Royen

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Melbourne,

My husband is a Hospitality professional and I am a Policy and Planning Manager (General). We both found jobs directly with companies through Seek....

Sunita
Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Friends,

Sunita

Hello Sunita, Thank you for sharing your story and indeed inspire me a lot! Godwilling, I'd like to lodge my ACT 176 application (with my family) soon. Just to clarify if primary education in Canberra is free? My son is same age as yours. Also, you house rental comes 560/week i.e. 560x4 per month? Am I right? Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Sunita,
Its nice that you are settled. Has it taken you 2 months to settle with a job. How have you applied to UNI job? Is it easy to get the job. Please tell me your experience. Is it in teaching side are you managed to get.

Hi Friends,

Sunita

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

there are 3 types of schools in ACT, Public (my son goes to one and I am quite happy with that so far, Secondary/High school I may think of moving him to Private school) which is free, Private and Catholic which are paid. you can check this link for more information DET - Home

You are right on the rent....

ask away if there is any more questions you would like me to answer.

sunita

Hello Sunita, Thank you for sharing your story and indeed inspire me a lot! Godwilling, I'd like to lodge my ACT 176 application (with my family) soon. Just to clarify if primary education in Canberra is free? My son is same age as yours. Also, you house rental comes 560/week i.e. 560x4 per month? Am I right? Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,
You are right, it took both my husband and me 2 months to find suitable jobs. We moved here in Jan. took us 3 weeks to find a rental after which we could concentrate on finding jobs in earnest so in all about 5 weeks to land a job and start working.

I am in a non teaching General role in Uni. Apply though SEEK or by searching directly at the website of ANU or Canberra University.

Sunita

Hi Sunita,
Its nice that you are settled. Has it taken you 2 months to settle with a job. How have you applied to UNI job? Is it easy to get the job. Please tell me your experience. Is it in teaching side are you managed to get.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hi
just read 2 pages of your column and find very informative,

Congratulation on your settling in Canberra

I am to living here in Canberra, Hope to see u some Day.

:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Hi,
You are right, it took both my husband and me 2 months to find suitable jobs. We moved here in Jan. took us 3 weeks to find a rental after which we could concentrate on finding jobs in earnest so in all about 5 weeks to land a job and start working.

I am in a non teaching General role in Uni. Apply though SEEK or by searching directly at the website of ANU or Canberra University.

Sunita

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts