Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe it´s just me but I perceive that the personalities of the expats coming to the Chapala Municipality lately have become more aggressive and unpleasant in general than was the case when we moved here in 2001. There is a mid-western preachy feel to the somewhat overbearing expat colony here now, especially among newcomers, that was, at least, less noticibale and more modest back then.

One reason we left the U,S, and moved down here was to not only be left alone but to be left to our own devices no matter how deficient. So, there are potholes in the streets and uneven sidewalks inviting dangers while driving or walking thereabouts. I do not understand why this new generation of expat snots simply didn´t retire to Santa Monica and leave those of who chose Mexico alone. I guess the reason is that it is much less expensive here but, be that as it may folks, try to remember that one of the reasons it is more economical to live here than it is in San Diego is that nobody is pushing your butt to proceed in a straight line and, in this place, if you do not note a hole in the pavement and bust your hiney, it is your responsibility and you can forget that lawsuit crap.

Godawlmighty, Californians, go back up there and give us a break.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
IMO, Dawg, you are becoming overly cranky about your Lakeside neighbors. They have ALWAYS included the pushy, the snotty and the arrogant asholes along with some very considerate and pleasant people. As one gets crankier, they tend to notice the things they don't like even more.

It is, however, true that there is a whole generation of "me me" people reaching retirement age, and reducing their lifestyle to fit their non-working budgets is so unthinkable that some of them are moving here. The smell of entitlement has arrived, and cannot be avoided if living in surroundings with certain conveniences we find desirable.

I'm sure there are some mountain monastery vacancies available if it all becomes unbearable.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Maybe it´s just me but I perceive that the personalities of the expats coming to the Chapala Municipality lately have become more aggressive and unpleasant in general than was the case when we moved here in 2001. There is a mid-western preachy feel to the somewhat overbearing expat colony here now, especially among newcomers, that was, at least, less noticibale and more modest back then.

One reason we left the U,S, and moved down here was to not only be left alone but to be left to our own devices no matter how deficient. So, there are potholes in the streets and uneven sidewalks inviting dangers while driving or walking thereabouts. I do not understand why this new generation of expat snots simply didn´t retire to Santa Monica and leave those of who chose Mexico alone. I guess the reason is that it is much less expensive here but, be that as it may folks, try to remember that one of the reasons it is more economical to live here than it is in San Diego is that nobody is pushing your butt to proceed in a straight line and, in this place, if you do not note a hole in the pavement and bust your hiney, it is your responsibility and you can forget that lawsuit crap.

Godawlmighty, Californians, go back up there and give us a break.
Since you only live in Chapala half the year, Hound Dog, does that mean you are only half-insufferable? Or are you the insufferable half of you and Citlali, and hence wholly insufferable? Inquiring minds want to know.:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
We have never been to Lake Chapala. In Cuernavaca we have to really go out of our way to bump into expats. There is a small library associated with a church which we used to visit before we both got kindles. The people there are really good folks. There is what used to be a Newcomers group. We went to one meeting perhaps 1.5 years ago. Turns out they held the meeting to announce they were all resigning. I think it has morphed into something else but I really don't know. There is a Yahoo group which I used to enjoy until I received a PM which literally threatened my health if I didn't stop posting and suggesting I should return to the States. I immediately closed the account and haven't gone back. It just wasn't worth it. When we first got here I used to ask for references of various expat craftsmen etc. The community seemed to be trying to be supportive. Ya know - every single time we had someone quote they were way more expensive than the people recommended by our Mexican friends.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
I'm sure there are some insufferable expats living somewhere in Mexico City, but luckily none of them live in my neighborhood!

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
I'm sure there are some insufferable expats living somewhere in Mexico City, but luckily none of them live in my neighborhood!
Half the expats in my neighborhood are insufferable. There are only two of us. The other guy lives a few blocks away and I see him on the street maybe once a year. I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which of us is the insufferable one.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have enjoyed your various responses to my, to some extent, lighthearted complaint about what I have, rightly or wrongly defined as a new breed of highly motivated expat control freak boy scouts moving to the Lake Chapala área from the U.S. and Canada. I must admit that I was being a bit overly presumptious in my posting just for the fun of it.

Here is what I have discerned about people in many parts of the world where I have been fortunate enough to have visited or lived. Superficial assessments of a society in which one has recently become acquainted are always naive. You really must live in a place for a time to realize that folks in Mexico or Alabama or France are just folks with all the negative and positive connotations that notion implies. We are among the few expats living in the Chiapas Highlands and, typically, expats there tend to hunker down and at least pretend to respect the local society that has taken them under their wings even if reluctantly. I think of that as the order of normal civility the world over where societies are accepting of strangers in their midst. What bothers me a little bit at Lake Chapala is that it seems to me that elements of that Deep Southern U.S. holier-than-thou, impossibly sanctimonous Baptist/Presbyterian-type society sitting around every Sunday morning for interminable and soul- bending preriods of time listening to boring sermons which could only be appreciated by the deaf, I fled in 1966 has once again caught up with me and these people are showing up at my doorstep in the form of new expat arrivals and, By God, preaching to me again - this time about my uneven sidewalks or raw sewage in my lake or traffic lights that don´t function or ugly and inadequately constructed urban highrises or undisciplined automobile conductors or, for for God´s sake, in the case of Lake Chapala´s Chapala Municipality´s, uneven pavement at the phoney tianguis which is nothing more than an artificial arm of the nearby Guadalajara wholesale market selling fruits and vegetables from industrial farms in Guanajuato. These goody-two-shoes from Dubuque are only deluding themselves. That´s fine with me but leave me alone.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Hound Dog, I feel your pain, even though I am lucky to be living in Mexico City, where the expat presence is so widely dispersed as to be barely noticeable. Have these new arrivals to the Chapala area actually come to your home to kvetch about the condition of public services? Or have they accosted you in public while you were having a cappuccino at your favorite outdoor café? They might leave you in peace if you wore a tee shirt bearing the message, "I like it here"!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Half the expats in my neighborhood are insufferable. There are only two of us. The other guy lives a few blocks away and I see him on the street maybe once a year. I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which of us is the insufferable one.
I´m beginning to like you TG. A fine sense of humor is what gets us through the day retaining our sanity.

This guy goes to see his doctor and a few days later he goes back and his doctor says, "Well I have some bad news and some worse news. What do you want first?" The guy says, "Well, give me the bad news first," The doctor says, " You only have three days to live," The guy says, "Jesús Jones doctor, what could be worse than that?" The doctor responds, " I was supposed to call you two days ago."

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hound Dog, I feel your pain, even though I am lucky to be living in Mexico City, where the expat presence is so widely dispersed as to be barely noticeable. Have these new arrivals to the Chapala area actually come to your home to kvetch about the condition of public services? Or have they accosted you in public while you were having a cappuccino at your favorite outdoor café? They might leave you in peace if you wore a tee shirt bearing the message, "I like it here"!

Thank you, Isla.

I was speaking of the folks who preach on line, not visitors. The doors to our properties at both Lake Chapala and Chiapas are unwelcoming and normally unbreachable except for invited guests. The only key to one of my residences is an amusing personality and a bottle of fine aged Scotch.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts

Thank you, Isla.

I was speaking of the folks who preach on line, not visitors. The doors to our properties at both Lake Chapala and Chiapas are unwelcoming and normally unbreachable except for invited guests. The only key to one of my residences is an amusing personality and a bottle of fine aged Scotch.
The next time I visit you and Citlali, I'll be sure to come supplied with both.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since you only live in Chapala half the year, Hound Dog, does that mean you are only half-insufferable? Or are you the insufferable half of you and Citlali, and hence wholly insufferable? Inquiring minds want to know.:)
Dawg is totally insufferable and has always so been. The University of Alabame was so loose in terms of admission that the local joke was that in order to get a degree from there one had to simply drive one´s car down University Avenue and they would throw your degree through the window. I am not making this up. There was this economics professor at Alabama who informed me in my junior year in 1964 that I was the dumbest sumbitch he had ever met. Then he said, "We have failed you and all the other students here because we have not challenged you to think, Well.I may be stupid but you didn´t see me hanging around Tuscaloose teaching morons economics 101 for the next 30 years. Who is the idiot here?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
My only two immediate neighbors over winter are Canadians ..... and the insufferable one lives across my "back fence". This guy is a totally out of control A Type personality. First year or two spent some time together -- because he's right there. This year no more than a few hours over the 5-6 month stay. He's crazy Jimmy to the community and some put up with him better than others. Talk about out of place in Mexico

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can't wait to move down and spread the good word about Reaganomics! My wife won't consider Nicaragua, but fell in love with pictures of the Racquet Club in San Juan Cosala. I'm wanting Guanajuato, we'll see. But it would be fun to move down by the lake and be insufferable! :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I can't wait to move down and spread the good word about Reaganomics! My wife won't consider Nicaragua, but fell in love with pictures of the Racquet Club in San Juan Cosala. I'm wanting Guanajuato, we'll see. But it would be fun to move down by the lake and be insufferable! :)
Dawg looks forward to meeting your sorry insufferable Texas Republican ass when you finally arrange to get here , van but, looking beyond East Texas and South Alabama, two dreadful places with no redeeming virtues, wasn´t Ronald Reagan big buddies with the Nicararaguan fiendish dictator Samosa who, with Reagan´s support, nearly drove that poverty-sticken craphole into the sea? Wasn´t it Ronald Reagan who set out to turn all of Central America into his personal killing fields and slave quarters back when he was the hilariously incompetent president of the United States?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I'm surprised it's taken you this long to appreciate what a fine human being my fellow moderator is!;)
must y, Isla. that I am quite pleased with the quality of reasonable and even pleasantly taciturn moderation exercised by you and Will of this fórum. You guys use reasonable judgment on the Expat fórum while, in my opinión, remaining cognizant of your prescribed duties as levellers of the discourse hereabouts. You have both admonished me in the past for uncivil behavior but you have done so firmly but politely. I used to post on a couple of Chapala oriented fórums in the past but gave up that humiliating hobby after moving to Chiapas and noting that the Chapala moderators on those fórums were, becoming overbearing and immaturely asinine. Jerks abound there.

Anyway, The Reverend Walter Gent, a Pennsylvanian who couldn´t find a parish up there moved to my home town in South Alabama in about 1953 and he must have been the most boring minister ever to exist on the face of the planet. His son was in love with me and very time we went off to Christiaain summer camps in variuos places in Alabama he would try to put the make on me and, looking back on those days in the 1950s, why not? Too late now.

The big thng about Presbyterian Church servces in South Alabama in the 1950s was to remember two things. It was important to congregate in the church vestibule after the sermon to thank the preacher for his inspirational (if incredibly)boring )message regqrding De Lawd but also to close some business deals supposedly to come to fruition the following business week.

Even more important was that beef roast in the oven which needed rescuing before it tuned to cardboard.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dawg looks forward to meeting your sorry insufferable Texas Republican ass when you finally arrange to get here , van but, looking beyond East Texas and South Alabama, two dreadful places with no redeeming virtues, wasn´t Ronald Reagan big buddies with the Nicararaguan fiendish dictator Samosa who, with Reagan´s support, nearly drove that poverty-sticken craphole into the sea? Wasn´t it Ronald Reagan who set out to turn all of Central America into his personal killing fields and slave quarters back when he was the hilariously incompetent president of the United States?
As opposed to the hilariously incompetant president we have now who has turned the Middle East into a bloodbath? Nice try.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.