Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Imagine thousands of tourist arrivals at the airports soon. How will they get from the airport to their destination or from point A to point B. Many forms of public transportation are still not allowed to operate. In La Union, surfing capitol of the north, buses are allowed to pass through the province to Vigan from Manila but they are not permitted to stop anywhere in La Union. Taxis & private vans for hire will be in high demand & will be making thousands of pesos.

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
Imagine thousands of tourist arrivals at the airports soon. How will they get from the airport to their destination or from point A to point B. Many forms of public transportation are still not allowed to operate. In La Union, surfing capitol of the north, buses are allowed to pass through the province to Vigan from Manila but they are not permitted to stop anywhere in La Union. Taxis & private vans for hire will be in high demand & will be making thousands of pesos.
We live in a smaller municipality and our jeepney system was destroyed and so they no longer run, we only had 3 full-time Jeepney operators but now that's gone and so in order to get to the main highway in our region we have to take trikes, prices have doubled.

So I'll bet this has taken out many operators.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I guess they will adopt a strict arrivals quota system where only X number of foreign travelers are allowed at airports /week

I really hope we can quarantine at home*, hotels will be overwhelmed when borders open and will add yet another expense.

*If fully vaxxed + departure and arrival PCR are negative.

·
Registered
633 Posts
At the moment it's looking like an overnight hotel whilst awaiting swab results. Also full itinerary required so strictly genuine tourists only. And they are only talking about green list countries at the moment.
Except they let in some business people from YELLOW countries, which a few days ago were all not green countries except Netherlands and Faroe Islands, which are red.
But yesterday I saw news Slovakia, Tjeckia, and one more in Europe had got worse than Netherlands and Belgium similar, so I suppouse they will become red too.

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
It looks like they want to open up for Christmas snd New Year's, I can't blame them the economy and the poor look forward to this time of the year.

There's s huge push going on right now to get many people vaccinated I think from Nov 25 - Dec 01.

I'm supposed to get my second vaccine dose on Dec 02, my wife refuses to vaccinate and my youngest son 16, has a cold and can't get his.

I'm starting to see many people out and about now especially kids and nearly half of them not wearing masks or wearing them on their chins, thank God the face shield requirement is gone.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
It looks like they want to open up for Christmas snd New Year's, I can't blame them the economy and the poor look forward to this time of the year.

There's s huge push going on right now to get many people vaccinated I think from Nov 25 - Dec 01.

I'm supposed to get my second vaccine dose on Dec 02, my wife refuses to vaccinate and my youngest son 16, has a cold and can't get his.

I'm starting to see many people out and about now especially kids and nearly half of them not wearing masks or wearing them on their chins, thank God the face shield requirement is gone.
Yes I don't get this checking your temperature and blood pressure before they give you the vaccine, even if you had the flu jab two weeks before. In the UK the covid vaccine went in one arm and the flu jab in the other. Went to the dentist today to have a loose crown refixed. Wanted a blood sugar test before going ahead because I'm type 2. Wouldn't do it if I got a cold or diarrhoea. And took a blood oxygen reading, the first reading was low which meant they wouldn't do it, second reading came out ok. What the hell, no anaesthetic just a bit of glue in my mouth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

I miss Christmas there, only got to experience it once. Was with the gf in her brgy. As you said, the poor really look forward to it and despite hardly having anything to their name they laid on a banquet. Had fun on NYs too doing 100meter sprint races with the locals. Was great fun. Wont be able to make it this year though.

I have a friend in Hong Kong who refused to get the vaccine. It took me 7 weeks of gentle prodding but it worked and shes now had her 2 X Pfizer.

How are the jeepneys? Are they back to full loads or do they still restrict the number of people? I rely on those a lot during visits and would be a bit worried if jammed into them armpit to armpit at rush hour. On the plus side they are open on all sides so the ventilation helps. I'll likely dress like an astronaut... all double mask, eye shield glasses and visor, along with hand sanitizer bottles worn like an ammo belt :oops:
Just cant afford to get sick during a visit!

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
I miss Christmas there, only got to experience it once. Was with the gf in her brgy. As you said, the poor really look forward to it and despite hardly having anything to their name they laid on a banquet. Had fun on NYs too doing 100meter sprint races with the locals. Was great fun. Wont be able to make it this year though.

I have a friend in Hong Kong who refused to get the vaccine. It took me 7 weeks of gentle prodding but it worked and shes now had her 2 X Pfizer.

How are the jeepneys? Are they back to full loads or do they still restrict the number of people? I rely on those a lot during visits and would be a bit worried if jammed into them armpit to armpit at rush hour. On the plus side they are open on all sides so the ventilation helps. I'll likely dress like an astronaut... all double mask, eye shield glasses and visor, along with hand sanitizer bottles worn like an ammo belt :oops:
Just cant afford to get sick during a visit!
The jeepneys are running but I think a few of them dropped out of the business due to many factors like customers ending up buying bikes, motorcycles, and their own means of transportation so they can get to work or get around, so lack of customers now.

The lockdowns were harsh on the private transportation sector, it seems somewhat normal currently but the damage has been done. The Government is trying to distribute compensation of 7,500 pesos before Christmas, so who knows maybe it'll come back, many can now register their vehicles and renew their driver's license with the boost of money.

I haven't or just gave up on public transportation in our area so until the jeeps start running again in our Municipality all 3 of them, I'll end up renting a trike the whole day but the jeepneys and Airconditioned buses still run along the highways and no more plastic barriers and face shields are no longer required, for now, the jeeps are full but not to the point of being stuck in there like a sardine.

You'd better rethink being overly protected with face shields etc... it gets very difficult to breathe for us older folks and don't forget the incredible heat and humidity. I use a mask that fits like a stocking around my face, I find this the most comfortable way to protect myself and I can move the mask around if it gets too much moisture, my son is holding one of my face masks, they cost 50 pesos.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The jeepneys are running but I think a few of them dropped out of the business due to many factors like customers ending up buying bikes, motorcycles, and their own means of transportation so they can get to work or get around, so lack of customers now.

The lockdowns were harsh on the private transportation sector, it seems somewhat normal currently but the damage has been done. The Government is trying to distribute compensation of 7,500 pesos before Christmas, so who knows maybe it'll come back, many can now register their vehicles and renew their driver's license with the boost of money.

I haven't or just gave up on public transportation in our area so until the jeeps start running again in our Municipality all 3 of them, I'll end up renting a trike the whole day but the jeepneys and Airconditioned buses still run along the highways and no more plastic barriers and face shields are no longer required, for now, the jeeps are full but not to the point of being stuck in there like a sardine.

You'd better rethink being overly protected with face shields etc... it gets very difficult to breathe for us older folks and don't forget the incredible heat and humidity. I use a mask that fits like a stocking around my face, I find this the most comfortable way to protect myself and I can move the mask around if it gets too much moisture, my son is holding one of my face masks, they cost 50 pesos.
Thanks for a nice update on how things are there now. I do recall chatting to jeepney drivers there and even during normal times they said they weren't exactly raking in earnings. Those guys work long hours and the rush hr traffic is a slog. Was about to ask about the plastic barriers.

Sorry for the probably dumb question but when you say "renting a trike" did you mean you ride it around yourself or is it where you hire trike+driver for the day?

Thats a very good point about the masks and visors. I forgot to factor in the head and humidity. Thanks for the photo of the mask I shall remember that and buy one.

Just as we thought the world kinda had a handle on things along comes this south African mutation...

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
Thanks for a nice update on how things are there now. I do recall chatting to jeepney drivers there and even during normal times they said they weren't exactly raking in earnings. Those guys work long hours and the rush hr traffic is a slog. Was about to ask about the plastic barriers.

Sorry for the probably dumb question but when you say "renting a trike" did you mean you ride it around yourself or is it where you hire trike+driver for the day?

Thats a very good point about the masks and visors. I forgot to factor in the head and humidity. Thanks for the photo of the mask I shall remember that and buy one.

Just as we thought the world kinda had a handle on things along comes this south African mutation...
Wrong choice of words by me, we hire the trike from 2 - 4 hours.

The fee used to be 300 pesos pre Covid but now it's closer to 500 pesos for us to travel 7 miles.

I used to enjoy driving here but after several years I've changed my mind due to heavy traffic, no place to park, stress, cost of maintaining a vehicle and all the many hassles of registration I'd rather be a passenger and make it a more pleasurable experience when out and about.

When we had the shield mandate most of the people wore the shield as a hat because of the fogging or the heat, so happy now to ditch that ugly hat and one less thing to drag around.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I used to enjoy driving here but after several years I've changed my mind due to heavy traffic, no place to park, stress, cost of maintaining a vehicle and all the many hassles of registration I'd rather be a passenger and make it a more pleasurable experience when out and about.
I would love to drive there but something stopped me. Just the thought of something happening (even if its not my fault) is the stuff of nightmares. All it takes is for a pedestrian not checking and stepping out in front and its too late to brake etc.

If I ever drove there I'd fit the rental with 4 dashcams and wear a GoPro on my hat!

The price the gf and I pay is huge. We once had to wait 2 hours for a jeepney back to her area from the middle of town (Iloilo). So on each visit hours and and hours are lost in total just standing around.

Tempted just to save up and get a used moped or bike and leave it parked at her place. Wouldn't use it on busy roads but would be handy for tootling around her area in a 2 or 3km radius. The local grocery would be a 5 min ride away vs. a 45 min walk or a 20 min wait for a trike. Id be overly careful and ride it nice and slow. Of course the other hazard are the huge pickups blazing past at way over the limit.

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
I would love to drive there but something stopped me. Just the thought of something happening (even if its not my fault) is the stuff of nightmares. All it takes is for a pedestrian not checking and stepping out in front and its too late to brake etc.

If I ever drove there I'd fit the rental with 4 dashcams and wear a GoPro on my hat!

The price the gf and I pay is huge. We once had to wait 2 hours for a jeepney back to her area from the middle of town (Iloilo). So on each visit hours and and hours are lost in total just standing around.

Tempted just to save up and get a used moped or bike and leave it parked at her place. Wouldn't use it on busy roads but would be handy for tootling around her area in a 2 or 3km radius. The local grocery would be a 5 min ride away vs. a 45 min walk or a 20 min wait for a trike. Id be overly careful and ride it nice and slow. Of course the other hazard are the huge pickups blazing past at way over the limit.
In your case a motorcycle would work well.

I've also thought about the motorcycle but it won't work for me because if the limitations on space for groceries and then at most just I and my wife could ride.

I seriously thought about and still thinking about a tuk tuk or 3 wheeled unit but these unit models such as Bajaj, TVS King or Piaggio Ape, run from 175,000 - 212,000 pesos so not real cheap, I'd really like to get the Piaggio diesel but I have no motorcycle license.

·
Registered
633 Posts
For such short distances there are 3 and 4 wheeler ELECTRIC vehicles, even new ones from around 80 000 pesos. IF seller info say correct, then (some) electric vehicles dont need neither registration nor driving licence. Im talking about them with max speeds similar to mopeds. LOOK UP though to get a strong enough engine. Some of the electric vehicles have to weak engines for normal size westerners :)
The weaker ones of Suzuki minivan CARS too. (There are 660 engines, but there are 1000 cc too.) An 8 seater - Filipinos say 13 🤣 - had problem to get uphill at highway at Cebu mountains with only 3 big Americans and a tiny Filipina! Not much use of a vehicle if it need push to get uphills at highways :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
For such short distances there are 3 and 4 wheeler ELECTRIC vehicles, even new ones from around 80 000 pesos. IF seller info say correct, then (some) electric vehicles dont need neither registration nor driving licence. Im talking about them with max speeds similar to mopeds. LOOK UP though to get a strong enough engine. Some of the electric vehicles have to weak engines for normal size westerners :)
The weaker ones of Suzuki minivan CARS too. (There are 660 engines, but there are 1000 cc too.) An 8 seater - Filipinos say 13 🤣 - had problem to get uphill at highway at Cebu mountains with only 3 big Americans and a tiny Filipina! Not much use of a vehicle if it need push to get uphills at highways :)
Its funny you said that lol. Last time I was in the Ph with my gf we went out one night and the trike enclosure was tiny. I had serious doubts getting into it. But I managed to squeeze in bent over. Im not tall either (173cm).

The ground clearance dropped to like 15mm and when we came across some road works the uneven surface caused the bottom of the trike to scrape the road.

By this time we were moving at walking speed because of the road being dug up so I got out and walked alongside the trike. As soon as I got out the scraping stopped and trike could move easier. My gf, the other 2 girls and the driver all smiling away at me.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts