Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Check out this recent FB post on the BOI page.

While I'm still not holding my breath it gives some hope to those of us stuck in our home countries wanting to come there on tourist visas. 25 months and counting since I saw the girlfriend! Lets see...

Font Screenshot Document Terrestrial plant Publication

Link:
Bureau of Immigration

·
Super Moderator
3,920 Posts
It's not the first hint more like the 3rd time from my recollection and I wouldn't put any weight behind this, its more like a vote of confidence from Immigration and a call for more Bureau Officer's, maybe even more funding.

The number of infections must remain low but with new variants we end up back at square one plus and more people vaccinated before it opens up, currently 36% of the population is fully vaccinated.

I think it'll end up opening at the end of the first quarter of 2022, it's taken 8 months to get roughly 1/3 of the population fully vaccinated, quite the feat for a 3rd world country and my observation of standing in line and watching how hard or tasking this process is on the Health Care workers.. they are very hard working hero's.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey everyone,

Check out this recent FB post on the BOI page.

While I'm still not holding my breath it gives some hope to those of us stuck in our home countries wanting to come there on tourist visas. 25 months and counting since I saw the girlfriend! Lets see...

View attachment 100583

Link:
Bureau of Immigration
It's "only" a statement from the BI stating that they are ready "if & when", same as statements released from DOT. etc.

The gate keepers are the IATF. Pay attention to their statements & hints.

I see a little easing happening for "residents" who live in a few areas but it's still far from the point of allowing foreign tourists back into the country. That's still based on achieving 90% herd immunity.

I'm not sure what others are experiencing with their internal travels but I had to go to another province recently, needed a RT-PCR test. I had to book online, show up & wait in a long line for the test, then wait 3 days for the results. Imagine the same logistical challenge for thousands of Foreign tourists having to do the same.

I don't foresee foreign tourists until 90% herd immunity is achieved, lifting of restrictions such as requirements for RT-PCR, Antigen tests, contract tracing, pre-registration requirements, quarantine requirements, requirements to stay "only" in DOT accredited hotels, etc. etc. are removed. Additionally, restrictions are still too de-centralized all over the country. Where i live still has a liquor/cigarette ban, the next town over no liquor ban.

Here is an EO just released for the province where I live to give you an example of the requirements to enter/pass through.
SOURCE: PGLU_EO53-2021

Here is an interesting article on tourism.
SOURCE: Still more fun, but path to tourism recovery can be confusing | Ma. Stella F. Arnaldo

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Thanks all for the info and have to agree with Joe that we are still a long way off opening up borders especially given infection and death numbers that are the same as a year ago by world numbers.

As for internal travels (we live in La Union like Joe but further north I think) if we want to go to Baguio (A neighbouring province) up the mountain we have to go through all the rubbish Joe mentioned even though we have both had our 2 jabs.
As mentioned Bens Mum passed away a few days ago and because she was still positive for C-19 had to be cremated post haste and not the traditional open cask at the family home, sad for the family but those are the laws here. Any way he had to go to Pangasinan (different province down south) for the paperwork and bring his Mums ashes home, went with his cousin who has been jabbed twice also, one border check point asking if they had been vaccinated, yes sir here are our Vax cards,,,,,,,,, that's ok I don't need to see them off you go and same for the return.
No liquor bans here Joe, not for over 12 months and our regular Sari store supplied us smokes and grog on the sly even when the ban was on so alcohol was still flowing freely up and down the freeway from Manila even through that ban.

Tough times for all, not just here. Chin up and soldier on as they say.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Tif we want to go to Baguio (A neighbouring province) up the mountain we have to go through all the rubbish Joe mentioned even though we have both had our 2 jabs.
Speaking of Baguio, "close-open" situation mentioned in todays Baguio article is impacting many businesses everywhere.

Ok, you can open, now you have to close, ok you can open again, but now you have to close again.....LOL

November 12, 2021
SOURCE: https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1159534

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Honestly Joe it's no different to Australia, many countries for that matter and it's seriously got me beat why Australia are starting to open internal borders,,,,,,, international to some countries yet again (opened, closed etc) while our numbers are a thousand times higher than a year ago in Oz. Go figure.

Some times I feel like a prisoner here and as said 18 months ago thank god we are on a reasonable sized lot or I would have been out, done and dusted if living in a condo. OMO but I think another year or more before things go back to a semblance of normal, time always tells the real story.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Less employees needed if they work effective :)
E g I did read how they moved around the stack in several steps concerning a group of people with right to get to Phils
instead of just make a ONE step check if condition was fullfiled...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Less employees needed if they work effective :)
E g I did read how they moved around the stack in several steps concerning a group of people with right to get to Phils
instead of just make a ONE step check if condition was fullfiled...
If they worked effectively Can you imagine the levels of unemployment there would be. Most work here seems like make work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gate keepers are the IATF. Pay attention to their statements & hints.
Good point I will remember that.

Thanks for all the replies. Of course you guys are all right. I shouldn't have got excited so soon, back to waiting! The gf is 😔 but we are powerless, just have to ride it out. Thousands more in the same situation.

I'm hoping that when borders do open that we wont have to quarantine (if we present 2 negative PCRs and are fully vaxxed). Dreading a long hotel stay (not to mention the added expense). But again if it has to be done I'll budget for it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If they worked effectively Can you imagine the levels of unemployment there would be. Most work here seems like make work.
Yes seem so :)
But public services in our home countries too aren¨t known for being effective, they have the bosses the private sector refuse to employ... :)

Much better if they were put in production - with effective leaders :)
E g there are rather many earlier forest lands, which aren¨t in use, not replanted!!!
I dont know if attitude are changed now by people have lost jobs because of covid, but before covid some farm owners had problem to get enough employees. I believe still similar, because a Filipina from a big farm owner family havent told me any change and we communicate rather often. They use(d) only small part of their farm because not many enough people want to work with farming there as employees.

·
Super Moderator
3,920 Posts
Good point I will remember thUnoat.

Thanks for all the replies. Of course you guys are all right. I shouldn't have got excited so soon, back to waiting! The gf is 😔 but we are powerless, just have to ride it out. Thousands more in the same situation.

I'm hoping that when borders do open that we wont have to quarantine (if we present 2 negative PCRs and are fully vaxxed). Dreading a long hotel stay (not to mention the added expense). But again if it has to be done I'll budget for it.
Katana, here's the latest hotel waiting timeline and it's more like 8 days. Quarantine timelines

·
Registered
125 Posts
Howdy to old friends!

Been considering a return to the old homestead myself, so it's great that at least the quarantine in Manila has been reduced to a mere 8 days. Course,by the time I am able to convince the Missus to return, all will be opened up and the healing process for the country will hopefully be well under way.

I've been locked down for the most part myself,with the wife worrying over me. I do occasionally sneak out while she is at work,but it's usually just to go get a burger. 😃😃

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hi old friend, hope you are both prospering as we are through these lockdown days,,,,,,,, months and will be 2 years soon. slowly slowly but remember the heat, now not so bad as the cool season is with us. Will catch up if you make it back. Cheers, Steve.,

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It'll be awhile yet Steve. We have a house here and its contents to liquidate if we decide to do this.Lots to do,but decisions to be made before anything begins. Things in this country are getting difficult. Might be time to move on.
Saw the writing on the wall back in 2014, one of the reasons why we decided to move from there when we did. In my opinion, it started slowly going downhill the day President KENNEDY was killed and accelerated when Obama & cohorts managed to crowd their way in. Don't know if it will be able recover or not and getting to old for all the BS.

Fred

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
I dont know how much weight this holds but I just came across this:

Fully vaccinated tourists from "green list" countries and territories may soon enter the Philippines once the Inter-Agency Task Force issues the guidelines that are expected to come out before the end of the month.
November 19, 2021
SOURCE: https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1160246

The coronavirus task force "approved in principle the entry of fully vaccinated tourists" from countries with low COVID-19 cases, the ministry said, adding that guidelines must be finalized
November 19, 2021
SOURCE: Philippines to reopen 'soon' to vaccinated foreign tourists

IATF issues new testing, quarantine rules for inbound travelers
November 19, 2021
SOURCE: https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1160337

·
Registered
749 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts