Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now officially able to be in the UK using my new spousal visa, but thought I'd relate a few things for others wondering what happened in our case.

I'm Canadian and hold a Canadian passport.
My new visa was valid from May 6th.

When filling out the application form for settlement I put down a date of May 15th, thinking it would take about 6 weeks since I had applied with the additional priority fee.
The granting of my spousal visa was much quicker than I dreamed ( 1 day ). My husband really wanted me to attend his large family reunion on the May 1st holiday weekend in the UK. Unfortunately, my visa wasn't valid until the 6th.

Since I have a Canadian passport I can visit the UK with that, so flew to the UK arriving on April 29th.
The immigration officer at Heathrow asked me a few questions and I explained about the reunion.
He reminded me that my settlement visa will not be valid until the 6th and I had to leave the UK and re-enter to validate it after the 6th of May.

Yesterday, we went over to Paris for a day and then flew back through London Heathrow in order to validate my visa.
I was asked a few questions.
- when were we married.
- had I visited the UK often before this
- where will I be living.

then he had me place my thumb on a machine and my index finger. He said in future I will be asked to do the thumb and index finger thing when I enter the UK using my new spousal visa.

The lineup for non EU members was huge last night. We waited for about an hour and were only half way through.
My husband asked one of the immigration men walking around the lines if we could use the UK line since he is a UK citizen.
He said yes and took us over to the UK line. After about 5 minutes we were at the immigration desk.

For others:
If you are the spouse of a British citizen and you are non-EU citizen you can use the UK line.
If you are travelling alone, you can't use the UK a line.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm now officially able to be in the UK using my new spousal visa, but thought I'd relate a few things for others wondering what happened in our case.

I'm Canadian and hold a Canadian passport.
My new visa was valid from May 6th.

When filling out the application form for settlement I put down a date of May 15th, thinking it would take about 6 weeks since I had applied with the additional priority fee.
The granting of my spousal visa was much quicker than I dreamed ( 1 day ). My husband really wanted me to attend his large family reunion on the May 1st holiday weekend in the UK. Unfortunately, my visa wasn't valid until the 6th.

Since I have a Canadian passport I can visit the UK with that, so flew to the UK arriving on April 29th.
The immigration officer at Heathrow asked me a few questions and I explained about the reunion.
He reminded me that my settlement visa will not be valid until the 6th and I had to leave the UK and re-enter to validate it after the 6th of May.

Yesterday, we went over to Paris for a day and then flew back through London Heathrow in order to validate my visa.
I was asked a few questions.
- when were we married.
- had I visited the UK often before this
- where will I be living.

then he had me place my thumb on a machine and my index finger. He said in future I will be asked to do the thumb and index finger thing when I enter the UK using my new spousal visa.

The lineup for non EU members was huge last night. We waited for about an hour and were only half way through.
My husband asked one of the immigration men walking around the lines if we could use the UK line since he is a UK citizen.
He said yes and took us over to the UK line. After about 5 minutes we were at the immigration desk.

For others:
If you are the spouse of a British citizen and you are non-EU citizen you can use the UK line.
If you are travelling alone, you can't use the UK a line.
Good to know thanks

You don't happen to know if my wife (non eu spouse) can use the UK line if she is with my son with his British passport (without me) do you?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
Good to know thanks You don't happen to know if my wife (non eu spouse) can use the UK line if she is with my son with his British passport (without me) do you?
It's always best to ask the person directing traffic in the immigration hall.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh we asked the man stamping my passport in London a few years ago and he gave us a very confident NO that I could NOT go through the EU line with my husband. This actually worked well for me a few mornings ago at a 2am landing as the only non EU person coming off a flight from Tenerife hehe

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When up at the desk, it was the immigration officer who told us of future entries.
My husband asked him in particular and he said yes if we are travelling together I can enter through the EU/ British line but if travelling alone I must use the non-EU queue.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know thanks You don't happen to know if my wife (non eu spouse) can use the UK line if she is with my son with his British passport (without me) do you?
Sorry, I don't know. Best to ask one of the immigration people.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Always best to ask. We have always done that and have always been allowed to join the EU line. Not sure if it would apply to your wife and son.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Can a non-EU person traveling with their unmarried partner potentially go through EU immigration together (after asking permission) or is being married important?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Always best to ask. We have always done that and have always been allowed to join the EU line. Not sure if it would apply to your wife and son.
my wife and kids are british, I am US. So far, I went through the EU/UK lines in BHX and Heathrow when traveling together. Just made sure my wife's passport is on top of the stack. We did other way too when we saw the lines were longer on the EU/UK side. Put mine on top. not sure what the actual rules are. we did ask few times and they stated that we can go to the EU line. In our case, with 2 little kids, it's not possible to go to 2 different lines. we choose the shorter line

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.