Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Well loads of new and helpful posts on here! thanks for all your help so far!

Posted before so I wont go into the ins and outs of my situation!

What is happening with the exchange rate at the moment though (uk to aus) trying to organise sending money to pay for uni courses etc and the rate is soooo bad! Just my luck! the worst for years apparently! Any advice?! I know its all guess work really but does anyone think it will get better? or worse?! It really is making my money not go very far and I am now really worried that I wont have enough money to get by! Not good! Careful planning and now the rate messing me up! Help!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Darren if I knew if it was going to do up or down I'd be investing :) and be very rich by now. But I've been watching it for 6 months) and my thought is No, it's not going down anytime soon.

You can setup a google alert to send you e-mails about news about the Australian dollar every day. That news for (6) months has been telling me up. It's only gone down for a few days at any one time and then rallying for weeks after that. I had the opportunity to convert at .76 and now I can't get better than .87. I think by Christmas it will have hit .9 or higher and there'll be talk about parity with USD again (it almost did that last year when it hit .98).

Hi guys!
Well loads of new and helpful posts on here! thanks for all your help so far!

Posted before so I wont go into the ins and outs of my situation!

What is happening with the exchange rate at the moment though (uk to aus) trying to organise sending money to pay for uni courses etc and the rate is soooo bad! Just my luck! the worst for years apparently! Any advice?! I know its all guess work really but does anyone think it will get better? or worse?! It really is making my money not go very far and I am now really worried that I wont have enough money to get by! Not good! Careful planning and now the rate messing me up! Help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not good then really! was hoping to get at least aus $2 to a pound and am no where near that at the mo! I will have to keep my eye on it for the next few weeks, the worry is at the moment its been steadly dropping, in fact its the worst it been for 10 years!

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may help:

AUD to GBP Australian Dollar in British Pound - Google Finance
AUD to EUR Australian Dollar in Euro - Google Finance
AUD to USD Australian Dollar in United States Dollar - Google Finance

I love Google. You can chart the relationship back as much as 5 years. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Oh actually, I think you're looking for this: http://www.google.com/finance?q=GBPAUD

It traded at 2 GBP to 1 AUD back in August. Actually, looks to me like it's at an all time low at 1.88. Sucks to be getting paid in a foreign currency right now.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This may help:It traded at 2 GBP to 1 AUD back in August. Actually, looks to me like it's at an all time low at 1.88. Sucks to be getting paid in a foreign currency right now.

Looking back to last summer before the economic crisis the USD and AUD almost got to a 1 to 1 ratio. Its currently 1 to 1.14, and slowly creeping back towards the 1 to 1. I am making all my moving plans based on a 1 to 1 ratio. This gives me a fairly realistic assessment of my finances as I will continue to earn my income in USD, and be making monthly transfers to AU. Hopefully it will not reach 1 to 1 and I will be in a much stronger financial situation than I planned for.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Also the word 'favourable' is subjective here. The Aussies buying stuff overseas are cheering each day as their dollar gets them more. So when you're earning in AUD (which you will be once you move here) then the rate that currently 'sucks' will be 'awesome' because it gets you more dollars or pounds when you go for overseas trips or buy stuff online from overseas.

In any currency movement the 'loser' and 'winner' is determined by point of view and business type.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Also the word 'favourable' is subjective here. The Aussies buying stuff overseas are cheering each day as their dollar gets them more. So when you're earning in AUD (which you will be once you move here) then the rate that currently 'sucks' will be 'awesome' because it gets you more dollars or pounds when you go for overseas trips or buy stuff online from overseas.

In any currency movement the 'loser' and 'winner' is determined by point of view and business type.
Well hopefully my wife will be earning AUD while I'm earning USD, so things will balance each other out :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any advice?! I know its all guess work really but does anyone think it will get better? or worse?! Not good! Careful planning and now the rate messing me up! Help!
You can get real-time Quotes from OANDA Direct Forex Broker at Foreign Currency Transfers | Wire Payments | OANDA FXGlobalTransfer. This website will give you the actual quote at every second. The charges are less too.

The best thing about this service is, YOU CAN TELL THEM AT WHAT PRICE TO CONVERT YOUR CURRENCY. They will do when currency reaches that price.

One can just put up instructions to transfer 5000 or 10000AUD at different rates and forget about exchange rate variations. YOU CAN EVEN ENTER 1AUD=1GBP or 1GBP=3AUD and leave it there forever for conversion.

Well, I have not used this service as I did not yet convert my currency. But I do use the MultiCurrency accounts with them to take advantage of currency variations. I transfer 1,000USD to AUD account when I feel AUD will go up; and when AUD is up, transfer AUD back to USD account!!!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Zultan, how long ago was that?????..ellisa:D
When we first started looking at buying property in Australia from the UK (around 2002) it was nearly 3 GBP to the Aussie dollar which is why everything in Australia seemed so cheap to us then.

Now it depends on where I'm getting paid from as to whether I'm happy with the exchange rate :)

BTW you can see historical rates on XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I feel the same I'm holding on to a percentage of my money until the rate improves...I'm told it will but I don't know. Just got to keep an eye on the British pound....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts