Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 2865 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post here at expatforums. Thanks for this opportunity.

I am looking forward to relocate to UAE. Recently, I have been offered a job with Emirates/Dnata Operations for a Grade 08 position. I have been given some of the best benefits I could ask for. However, my base salary is yet to be discussed!

My question is,
1. What kind of Base salary can I ask for? provided the benefits include housing, travel allowance, medical insurance for family , education allowance, annual airfare for family, profit sharing, concessional tickets etc.

2. what is it like working for Dnata? Is the environment healthy there? I dont want to leave one not-so impressive place to another not-so impressive place. Hence.

3. Recruitment process?

Thanks in advance for the help. I have read all previous posts related to emirates/dnata. but they haven't helped much, so this post comes.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Well if you've been offered the job you should know about the recruitment process.

If it is at all possible you should go for a greade 9, the difference is immense (business class, school fees and a lot more money).

I was a grade 9 in 2005 and my package was around 35k if I recall, that included 10k for housing.

Profit sharing was x number of weeks, BUT you had to be employed for a full calender year on (i think) 1 July to get it, so if you start on 2 July this year you wont get it until August 2014.

If I recall housing for a grade 9 is now 200k/year, but they do like it if you stay in their apartments instead.

I know that grade 8-9 is a massive jump, and around a third more money.

What's it like to work there? Frustrating, too many ivory castles being built.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you've been offered the job you should know about the recruitment process.

If it is at all possible you should go for a greade 9, the difference is immense (business class, school fees and a lot more money).

I was a grade 9 in 2005 and my package was around 35k if I recall, that included 10k for housing.

Profit sharing was x number of weeks, BUT you had to be employed for a full calender year on (i think) 1 July to get it, so if you start on 2 July this year you wont get it until August 2014.

If I recall housing for a grade 9 is now 200k/year, but they do like it if you stay in their apartments instead.

I know that grade 8-9 is a massive jump, and around a third more money.

What's it like to work there? Frustrating, too many ivory castles being built.

Thanks so much Toon for the info provided.

I have read on other forums also that instead of a Grade 8, I should ask for a Grade 9. I find it very weird to ask to upgrade even before joining and performing. What I mean is, is it normal to generally ask for an up-Grade!?

I do have Housing or housing allowance 7500AED /month, and again there seems to be a huge difference between a 200K/year (approx 16K/month) for Grade 9 and grade 8.

Too many ivory castles is not a very good thing. However, I have heard from many people that emirates is one of the best airlines to work with! I do get to read quite contrasting opinions from various forums. So, I am assuming that the situation may not be too good nor too bad!

Thanks once again.

·
Banned
423 Posts
Thanks so much Toon for the info provided.

I have read on other forums also that instead of a Grade 8, I should ask for a Grade 9. I find it very weird to ask to upgrade even before joining and performing. What I mean is, is it normal to generally ask for an up-Grade!?

I do have Housing or housing allowance 7500AED /month, and again there seems to be a huge difference between a 200K/year (approx 16K/month) for Grade 9 and grade 8.

Too many ivory castles is not a very good thing. However, I have heard from many people that emirates is one of the best airlines to work with! I do get to read quite contrasting opinions from various forums. So, I am assuming that the situation may not be too good nor too bad!

Thanks once again.
As a grade 9 it's good, but not as a grade 8.

There is also a span of basics in each job, from 60 - 140% of "norm", I would suggest you ask what that is, I did and they increased my salary from 75% or so, to around 130%, it basically doubled.

Get a grade 9, they HATE giving promotions....

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's a 155k accommodation allowance for a Grade 9. And the salary bands are +/- 100% now.

What is the job title you have been offered? Then I can tell you what the grade 9 equivalent is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 155k accommodation allowance for a Grade 9. And the salary bands are +/- 100% now.

What is the job title you have been offered? Then I can tell you what the grade 9 equivalent is.
Thanks basc for the info.

All this sounds very unusual. So, I see that a Grade 9 is an obviously better option than settling/accepting a Grade 8.

I don't know whether its ok/safe/normal to disclose the job title here, but the job is that of a 'Controller' in their Business Support function. If that can help?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A BSG Controller (grade 8) reports into a BSG Manager (grade 9). So unless you kill off your hiring manager to free up his position, you can't negotiate to be a 9.

But, and I am sorry to say, as you're Indian I think it would be highly unlikely that you would be hired directly as a 9 - unless you have extensive Western experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A BSG Controller (grade 8) reports into a BSG Manager (grade 9). So unless you kill off your hiring manager to free up his position, you can't negotiate to be a 9.

But, and I am sorry to say, as you're Indian I think it would be highly unlikely that you would be hired directly as a 9 - unless you have extensive Western experience.
basc, that was mean!! :boxing::)

What's it got to do with being Indian? Irrespective of nationality, if someone is capable, he/she is fit for the position and title and grade! While, I do agree, this kind of racist measure exists in the middle east, yet that does not completely marginalize someone's expertise, whether Indian or western.

I see that you changed your 'originally from' from Ireland to UAE. :) Any reasons for that??

Thanks anyway for all the info. Greatly appreciated. These insights will definitely help me during my next interaction with the recruiters.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's not mean on my part, it's a universally known truth about the UAE. As you're Indian you'll be offered lower-level jobs - for no other reason than your nationality.

I personally would never recommend any of my Indian friends to work in the UAE because of that fact. They'd be better off in Europe or the US.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hiii

Just an update!

I gave my online interview through skype and the results are expected second week of July! Seems the recruitment process is looong!

They said there would be an assessment following an interview the next day, for which they would be inviting me if successful. Any feedback on what would be the assessment like? And what would be this interview again? My skype interview was a technical one with 2 interviewers from my department and the HR lady. So, Im assuming the final interview would be a negotiation table?

More importantly, I would like to know more about the assessment? Any pointers friends?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Emirates Airlines Hiring Process

Hello folks, was wondering if someone can help me out. I only see info for Flight Attendant & Pilot hiring process for Emirates Airline. I recently applied for a position for them in their Flight Networks department and I ended up getting a call from HR last week. She asked a few questions about myself and then told me she will now move my resume on to the next step. I was a little confused because does this mean they will call for another interview if someone in the department likes me or do they call me to go to Dubai for further processing? I would be grateful if someone can provide more info on how the Corporate/Operations Hiring process works in Emirates Airlines?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
The best place to research crew hiring processes and many other airline related topics is pprunes. Just type it in google and you will find it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
nope couldn't find any info - it's only filled with cabin Crew info! anyone here applied to a NON-cabin crew position at Emirates Airlines and have knowledge of their hiring process? Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Mavericksam

did you hear back from Emirates? maybe you can help me out as you applied for a non cabin crew job! I only see info for Flight Attendant & Pilot hiring process for Emirates Airline. I recently applied for a position for them in their Flight Networks department and I ended up getting a call from HR last week. She asked a few questions about myself and then told me she will now move my resume on to the next step. I was a little confused because does this mean they will call for another interview if someone in the department likes me or do they call me to go to Dubai for further processing? I would be grateful if someone can provide more info on how the Corporate/Operations Hiring process works in Emirates Airlines?

thanks!

Hiii

Just an update!

I gave my online interview through skype and the results are expected second week of July! Seems the recruitment process is looong!

They said there would be an assessment following an interview the next day, for which they would be inviting me if successful. Any feedback on what would be the assessment like? And what would be this interview again? My skype interview was a technical one with 2 interviewers from my department and the HR lady. So, Im assuming the final interview would be a negotiation table?

More importantly, I would like to know more about the assessment? Any pointers friends?

·
Registered
119 Posts
They will probably pass your details to the department actually recruiting the position. You may get a call from someone in that area to have a chat about your experience. (This is what happened with me) If they are interested in you they will call you to Dubai for an assessment day ( for me thus was a presentation, group discussion/workshop and a role play). If you pass the assessment day, (and be warned most don't!!) then you'll get called back the next day for psychometric tests and an interview. Interview is the easiest part of the whole process!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks suzimack! So did you ever get the job? What dept did you apply for? Also can you tell me a little bit about the assessment day? Sorry for the queries but any help I can get would be awesome. The lady from HR told me that it might take a few weeks to hear back from them again as it is Ramadan and things move a little slower!

Thanks again!

They will probably pass your details to the department actually recruiting the position. You may get a call from someone in that area to have a chat about your experience. (This is what happened with me) If they are interested in you they will call you to Dubai for an assessment day ( for me thus was a presentation, group discussion/workshop and a role play). If you pass the assessment day, (and be warned most don't!!) then you'll get called back the next day for psychometric tests and an interview. Interview is the easiest part of the whole process!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes I got the job. I'm in IT as a Business Analyst.
The assessment day is quite unusual, at least in my experience (which admittedly is limited, having been with my previous company for 14 years). I was told to report at 10, was put into a room for an hour and told I had to prepare a presentation ( they supplied the topic - relevant to the job applied for) . I was given access to PowerPoint to prepare slides, but no Internet. I then had an hour to myself, and cane back to a awaiting room full of other people! I was called out as part if a group of four, and we were taken to a room in front of a panel, given a situation scenario and given 10 minutes as s group to decide what we would do. We then had to explain to the panel our decision and why!!!
I should explain that I knew nothing about any if these people, and had never net them before! When we all sat outside after this, I discovered they were all here for sales jobs, baring little relation to mine!!
After more waiting the 2 men in the group were called (separately) into a room, and told they were unsuccessful!
I was asked into another room, and given a role play scenario, with 10 minutes to prepare. After the role play ended, I was told I was successful, and would be coming back for an interview the next day!
On leaving, I discovered the other lady in my 'group' had also been unsuccessful, and told not to come back the next day!!
All in all it was a very long, very strange day, and I'm really not sure what they were looking for!
Oh and if you do get through, expect a couple of hours of psychometric tests too!!

1 - 20 of 2865 Posts