Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

In 36 hours I will be on my way to France with my husband to start our new life in France. Excited but have butterfly's in tummy. Any last minutes tips?

Thanks

Ann

·
Administrator
49,850 Posts
Bon voyage - and welcome to France!

Best advice I can give you is to expect that something will go wrong in the initial weeks. It always seems to happen. But it is not a huge tragedy, and just tell yourself that you'll look back at whatever it was and have a good laugh.

With the exception of a few, really tragic events, there is every good chance that you'll be able to cope, and you might even learn something in the process of getting over, through or around whatever it is that goes wrong.

Or there is the other advice I've given often to new arrivals here: BREATHE.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect advice smeg and Bev. Love my salad cream. I do know when I get to the house I will stand on the balcony, look at the garden and take a deep breath. Lovely to have retired early. Thanks x

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Smile, I did the same thing at the age of 56 after divorce. I found it a bit like going to a new school at the age of 11 - a bit stressful, exciting, and a whole new world.

Enjoy!

D

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,291 Posts
...Any last minutes tips?...
As Bev said, "Breathe" a lot.

Saran wrap and aluminum foil. Seems silly and from personal experience, I can tell you aluminum foil is not light...but...one does what one must.

Ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
1) Expect the unexpected......It is usually the trivial things that you can not prepare for that are the most surreal at first.

(eg shopping; I can't buy my robinsons squash(or any other brand) here but in the English aisle I can get christmas pudding and brandy sauce all year around).

2) Find the inner strength to not get irritated or wound up by all the things French you will hate and all things British that you will miss. (eg zebra crossings, bureaucrats, patience).

3) Enjoy the opposite of 2. (eg food, wine, weather, lifestyle)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
1) Expect the unexpected......It is usually the trivial things that you can not prepare for that are the most surreal at first. (eg shopping; I can't buy my robinsons squash(or any other brand) here but in the English aisle I can get christmas pudding and brandy sauce all year around). 2) Find the inner strength to not get irritated or wound up by all the things French you will hate and all things British that you will miss. (eg zebra crossings, bureaucrats, patience). 3) Enjoy the opposite of 2. (eg food, wine, weather, lifestyle)
Talk to and join in with as many French functions and people as you can in your vicinity. Don't be tempted to become part if the Expat community in total or you will miss out on many wonderful friendships and experiences in your vicinity.

Bon Chance. Fletch.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just found Marks & Spencer Food store lol I'm an Aussie and I swore I'd never miss anything from there but I was very happy to see crumpets at M & S!

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You can get cling wrap and aluminium foil in all the supermarkets and grands espaces in France - you certainly don't need to bring it with you or buy it from the UK!

Dump the salad cream and savour real mayonnaise and vinaigrette :) Make sure you explore the food, make the most of seasonal fruit and vegetables (you are arriving at a great time of year for fresh produce).

Consider any difficulties that may arise as an adventure or a welcome challenge.

Make the most of living in France, rather than continuing your Brit lifestyle in another country - there are so many wonderful experiences to be had :)

Enjoy your new life :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts