Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don´t have the answer for this inquiry but let´s just say the pizza at Lake Chapala is pretty dreadful in every respect. That includes the old line pizza jonts and the new attempts at improving the awful products generally offered. Terrible food in all places. You would think that in a place overwhelmingly populated by foreign retirees there would be a decent pizza joint but you would be mistaken. The restaurant food here at Lake Chapala is disgraceful overall.

Surprisingly enouugh, the best pizza we have had in Mexico has been in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas which has a large Italiian expat community many of whom are in the restaurant business serving up pizza cooked in wood-fired ovens serving up exquisite pizzas the likes of which you would never find at Lake Chapala. God serves us up these trivial but important differences to tease us no doubt but take him seriously.
His sense of humor is limited.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,049 Posts
I don´t have the answer for this inquiry but let´s just say the pizza at Lake Chapala is pretty dreadful in every respect. That includes the old line pizza jonts and the new attempts at improving the awful products generally offered. Terrible food in all places. You would think that in a place overwhelmingly populated by foreign retirees there would be a decent pizza joint but you would be mistaken. The restaurant food here at Lake Chapala is disgraceful overall.

Surprisingly enouugh, the best pizza we have had in Mexico has been in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas which has a large Italiian expat community many of whom are in the restaurant business serving up pizza cooked in wood-fired ovens serving up exquisite pizzas the likes of which you would never find at Lake Chapala. God serves us up these trivial but important differences to tease us no doubt but take him seriously.
I have been told by my house guests that I make the best pizza in Mexico.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[QUOTE=TundraGreen;1784297]I have been told by my house guests that I make the best pizza in Mexico.[/QUOTE]

We look foward to enjoying that pizza with the finest pinot noir which we will supply . Unlock the gates. Otherwise , point us toward the nearest Dominoes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hound Dog said:

We recently had a fantastic pizza made in a proper pizza oven in Valle del Bravo. The chef is from Pisa and the food was some of the best we've had outside of Italy. Even the pasta is made by hand and you can watch them roll and cut it while you wait. Only 16 covers and you need to wait a while but definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The best pizza I've had in Mexico was down a side road leading to the beach in Sayulita. Wood fired oven, tossed in air, covered generously with great ingredients. The place is heavily patronized by surfers of all stripe.....which might explain it.

The best pizza in Lakeside is still to come. I wish David at the new Tabarka restaurant location would get his wood fired oven going instead of using it as a cigarette depository. There might be hope.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE=lagoloo;1793801]The best pizza I've had in Mexico was down a side road leading to the beach in Sayulita. Wood fired oven, tossed in air, covered generously with great ingredients. The place is heavily patronized by surfers of all stripe.....which might explain it.

The best pizza in Lakeside is still to come. I wish David at the new Tabarka restaurant location would get his wood fired oven going instead of using it as a cigarette depository. There might be hope.[/QUOTE]

We never make it over to Sayulita these days since we bought the home in Chiapas but a pizza joint patronized by surfers will be worth a try if we get back over there. We really like Tabarka in West Ajijic and go over there often for Spanish-style seafood. Great ambience in an outdoor setting with a fun and efficient staff. I don´t see why wood oven pizza fired wouldn´t be really good there so the next time I´m there I intend to bug the chef about expanding his menu.

In the meantime, wood-fired pizza at the Italian joint in the El Cerrillo Plaza in San Cristóbal de Las Casas with a glass or two of house red will do.

I really am puzzled that "Lakeside", the community with a large expat contigent on Lake Chapala, still has no really good pizza joints, especially since the retiree population is so large and retirees like to take home stuff like pizza and sammiches rather than cook for one or two old goobers. Of course, there is Dominos that will moto your pizza over in 20 minutes or so guaranteed or it´s free or so I am told.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Domino's will do, if you assume that all the decent ingredients must be added after it's delivered to your door. So....just go for the cheese basic and put your own stuff on the danged thing, including some decent cheese.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,049 Posts
Domino's will do, if you assume that all the decent ingredients must be added after it's delivered to your door. So....just go for the cheese basic and put your own stuff on the danged thing, including some decent cheese.
If you are going to do that you might just as well make your own, you are 80% of the way there. Making the dough takes a little experience but it is not that hard.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Like most pizza aficionados, I think I know my pizza. We've had some excellent pizza in Mexico, from Tio Pablo's in Los Barriles in Baja Sur, to Rito's Bacci in Puerto Vallarta.
We're lucky in Zihuatanejo, where there are 3 or 4 good places: Joe's Cafe Marina, Jungle Pizza and a couple of what we call Mexican style pizzas, (thin crust, heavy on the cheese) like Super Pizza and Vivan Las Pizzas.
And in Montreal, where I grew up, everyone knew that Greeks made better pizza than the Italians.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...And in Montreal, where I grew up, everyone knew that Greeks made better pizza than the Italians...[/QUOTE]

Actually, the best pizza on earth is "pissaladiere" from from Nice, France. Pissaladiere (plus sex perhaps) is the reason I married my French bride in Mobile 42 years ago.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Actually, the best pizza on earth is "pissaladiere" from from Nice, France. Pissaladiere (plus sex perhaps) is the reason I married my French bride in Mobile 42 years ago.
Pizza and sex sounds like something I did in college. Never knew what to do with the extra pepperoni.

Reactions: vantexan

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I always wondered why many Mexicans I know always smothers their pieces of pizza with a layer of ketchup no matter where it came from.

Then when here I was invited to parties where they had bought pizzas from the local low cost pizzerias. The pizza had almost no tomato sauce, was dry, and needed 2X the cheese to make it enjoyable to eat. The meat toppings where about the same as a US pizza.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I always wondered why many Mexicans I know always smothers their pieces of pizza with a layer of ketchup no matter where it came from.

Then when here I was invited to parties where they had bought pizzas from the local low cost pizzerias. The pizza had almost no tomato sauce, was dry, and needed 2X the cheese to make it enjoyable to eat. The meat toppings where about the same as a US pizza.
I have found that the typical Mexican pizza is a large flour tortilla covered with cheese. I've often asked, 'where's the sauce?'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wood Fired Pizza

Hello Folks,

My first day here and I already committed an infraction!...:( my apologies.. my intention was not to advertise.... just sharing..anyways... back to the subject of pizza... do you guys think is possible for my wife and I to bring our mobile wood fired pizza oven on a trailer to Mexico?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I have found that the typical Mexican pizza is a large flour tortilla covered with cheese. I've often asked, 'where's the sauce?'
Exactly the problem. They are flat and very little sauce, dry, and some are even hard. They need more dough and possibly turn up the heat on the pizza ovens.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hello Folks,

My first day here and I already committed an infraction!...:( my apologies.. my intention was not to advertise.... just sharing..anyways... back to the subject of pizza... do you guys think is possible for my wife and I to bring our mobile wood fired pizza oven on a trailer to Mexico?

Thanks
Most likely very complicated because you will need to first have a the proper immigration document that allows you to set up a business and have an address in Mexico. You will need to have a customs broker give you all the details to import a machine for use in Mexico and probably have to have a corporation set up and registered with customs that allows you to import equipment to Mexico to use for your business and pay duty according to what the rules are.

Or you can drive over the border with it and deal with customs on the spot and see what happens. The worse they can do is turn you around and send you back across the border. I have seen this happen a few times to people with a loaded truck or trailer.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello Folks,

Thanks

Why would anyone wish to incur the expense of hauling a "mobile" wood-fired pizza oven to Mexico when one can sell that clumsy encumberance to someone stuck in where-ever one is from and have a superior wood-fired pizza oven made from scratch for peanuts here. Mexican folks know the art of wood-fired oven making in spades so you´d be bringing coals to Newcastle.

By the way, the art of wood-fired oven pizza making in certain parts of Mexico is a well understood and practiced art so don´t be coming down here thinking you are introducing a new whirleygig unknown to locals. Expect serious competition in certain zones but not at Lake Chapala where most folks would not know a good pizza from a gyro made in Cincinnati.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.