Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - when I visited Israel, years ago, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to be invited, as a member of a group of Brits. interested in Education and Social Work processes there, to the home (a large black tent) of a Bedouin tribal leader, on the outskirts of Beersheva, the Israeli city located within the Negev Desert region.

This elderly man had refused to be accommodated in a newly built block of flats, in which his family members were required to live, under pressure from the Israeli authorities, preferring to pitch his tent in the shadow of the buildings concerned, in the midst of what had been, for generations the land across which his formerly nomadic tribe had wandered with their animal herds, but which was not recognised as' theirs', under Israeli law - they had no formal 'papers' to denote 'possession' or 'ownership ' - although it had been regarded by his people, and by others who'd previously shared their nomadic lifestyle, as their tribal lands, where the right to graze and water their animals and to pitch their tents had been generally accepted and understood!

Anyway, as we can see, the Israeli Govt. now intends to populate the desert with Jewish settlements - so these Bedouin are in the way and must be relocated to new locations chosen for them - as described within this article, below, from 'The Guardian'. For me, the whole process is eerily reminiscent of the actions of the former white Governments of South Africa - which resettled thousands of black people to the infamous 'Bundestans'.

It would be amazing if the world-wide protests were to be successful in halting this forced resettlement of these virtually defenceless people - sadly, I have no hope, whatsoever..! At least, this appalling and disgraceful planned action on the part of the Israeli Govt. should be publicised, as widely as possible - the 'Social Media' can play a role, in this regard:

Israel's plan to forcibly resettle Negev Bedouins prompts global protests | World news | theguardian.com

Saludos,
GC
'

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Interesting. I heard an interview on the radio the other day with Nobel Peace Prize nominee Amal Elsana Alh’jooj, the first Bedouin woman to go to university, who is from the Negev. She talked about the resistance she faced from the Bedouins themselves; they are deeply against women being educated or becoming financially independent.

I was thinking how much more effective these people would be in their fight against injustice if they utilised the resources and intelligence of all their population, not just the ones with a Y chromosome.

Here's an article about her from the Telegraph, for those of you who dislike the Guardian (note the interesting spelling of "shepherd" - "sheppard").

A Bedouin's story: nomadic women can be feminists too - Telegraph

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
(Guapachica) they had no formal 'papers' to denote 'possession' or 'ownership '
Neither did the Israelis when they were invited by the Allies to set up camp in somebody else's back yard with total disregard for the resident peoples.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts