Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if you read this then the title of the thread has passed the "censor test"!

I refer, of course, to Guillaume le Conqérant (le Bâtard de Normandie), or as I knew him at school as "Willy the Conk"

I recently bought a book, in French, entitled "Guillaume le Conqérant" by Gilduin DAVY. It's here on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.fr/Guillaume-con...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1506092178&sr=1-1

I'm about half way though it, I'm at 1040....Bill(ha!) is not thinking of making a tourist trip to England yet....he's got other problems of unruly lords beneath him. He also had a problem with people calling him "Guillaume le Bâtard". (True, he was so, but it's not very polite?) He solved this, when he was old enough (14 years), by killing the people concerned. The name did not stick!

Anyway, here are a few comments on the book. I'm not into history for the sake of it, but living in Rouen I like to take an interest in "local affairs".

What I like
  • A detailed and well researched historian who questions and compares the various (and not reliable sources) to try to come to some conclusions.
  • I've thumbed forward a bit an it's clear the book will give a good insight into Anglo-Saxon England and the results of the Norman.
  • The book gives a very clear picture of noble life in Normandie in the 11 century. Bear in mind that parts of some buildings in Rouen today date from that period.
What I don't like
  • It's written in unnecessarily complex academic French. Who really uses the verb "seoir" today....as in "comme il sied"?
  • I need a good dictionary to understand some of the terms used in today's French, and certainly also Google to understand some of the ancient French words used as if they have currency today. Eg l'aune, destrier, sénéchal and many more.
  • There's no index! Grrrr. It's written as a literary piece, you have to read it from start to finish, you can't use it as a reference book to check something.
  • Geography is important to understand who did what, to whom, where and when. There is no sensible map of France (and Italy, and Turkey, and Palestine!) which would help understanding. A time table of key events would be helpful too. This is not the first time I have found these problems with otherwise good French "textbook".
  • There are quite a few photographs of contemporary documents. The use an indecipherable script, and use either ancient French, or Latin which does not relate too much to the Latin I learnt at school. Not very informing?
Overall, I'm enjoying it, but it is hard work.

Has anybody else read it? You'll like it if, err, err, this is the sort of thing that you like.

DejW

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
No I haven't read it and your description doesn't incite me to either. :D

I enjoyed "Nos ancetres les Gaulois et autres fadaises" by François Reynaert du Nouvel Obs.
He tries (and succeeds) in debunking various "politically correct" views of major figures and events in western european history centered on the country we now know as France over the last 2000 years

It was published at the time when Sarkozy & Le Pen were having that stupid debate about national identity and summoning up all kinds of emblematic trivia from the past to support their nonsense demagogy

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,758 Posts
I thought you were talking about 'The New Statesman' and Alan B'stard being translated into French........... now that would be worth seeing.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
From the thread title - i thought Nigel Farage had been on his travels again!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, some of the posters to this thread should be ashamed of themselves!

I posted (humble lad that I am) an honest comment on a book which describes a bit of history important to all of us...will explain if necessary.

.....and what happens, I get replies that are off topic, trying to make jokes, and really b*s*ar*ising (to use a relevant word!) my no nonsense topic. Even worse, the comments were encouraged by our Dear Leaderess, Bev the Mod.

You wouldn't find me making cheap jokes, off topic posts and making a light of a serious topic, now would you?

If anyone's interested the book is so heavy going that I've not made much progress recently...must try harder.

DejW

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well, some of the posters to this thread should be ashamed of themselves!

I posted (humble lad that I am) an honest comment on a book which describes a bit of history important to all of us...will explain if necessary.

.....and what happens, I get replies that are off topic, trying to make jokes, and really b*s*ar*ising (to use a relevant word!) my no nonsense topic. Even worse, the comments were encouraged by our Dear Leaderess, Bev the Mod.

You wouldn't find me making cheap jokes, off topic posts and making a light of a serious topic, now would you?

If anyone's interested the book is so heavy going that I've not made much progress recently...must try harder.

DejW
Well sort of off topic, when we had the footings done for an extension to our house near Lewes, Sussex. The chap who poured the concrete was William the Concreter from... Battle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts