Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, as i was entering my car at a parking lot SZR close to garden center, a car stopped next to me and asked for direction to the airport.

After i told them, he starting talking about beeing designer for Armani and had been on a exibition etc etc

Before i knew of it, he had handed me his business card and i was holding a couple of suits in my hand he would give to me, since they didnt fit him (he said) :)

his partner stayed in their car and was looking like he was checking some invoices or so.

He started talking about he didnt want to take back the suits to italy and instead he wanted some parfume for the wife or something like that.

I walked away and went into my car, but it wasnt easy to be honest... He was very persistant, until the point where i almost got angry

Some of the warning signs was

- A Armani designer would properly not ask about your suit size
- Gave me a poor quality business card, with a @libero.it e-mail address.
- he's Shoes was worn out :)
- drive a 2007-2008 fortuner style car (not typical rental car)
- talk about paying tax for the suits when returning...

etc etc

properly not a new scam around here, but heads up anyway

·
Registered
565 Posts
Common scam here....

#1 the suits are Fake (I have seen the same scam with fake iphone 4's)
#2 at the end they try to get you to buy something for them as a "favor" so you think you're getting a great deal....

So they end up getting money/items and you get shafted with a bunch of fake sh*t.

It is always the same scam of someone having to leave the country and they don't want to bring something back so trying to sell it cheap!

If it's "too good to be true" it is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wesmant said:
Hi, just curious, how would this sort of scam could harm us?

Thanks
TAke your hard earned money abd make you wear a fake suit :)

Just a warning, enen though 90% doesnt fall for such trick, somes does im afraid

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Next time, just take a snap shot photo of the guy(s), his car and license plate with your phone. That will get him running out of your way very quickly...

And you have ID of these %$#& scam artist if needed for whatever reason later.

·
Registered
692 Posts
This is same for those people enticing your generous side .. asking help/charity money for some orphanage back home .............. or those solicitors who have discount /buy one get one free coupons of well-known firms like vlcc ,etc. !!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
And how did you know this ?
We've done this already. While I doubt Al Qaeda are sat in their caves sewing fake crocodiles into polo shirts, counterfeit goods often goes hand in hand with organizations that also deal in drugs, people trafficking and weapons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
according to the bit at the beginning of DVDs, pirated DVDs fund terrorism. Again not sure where this evidence comes from but seeing as you can't put that warning at the start of genuine designer suits, perhaps this is a problem with pirated suits... :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been approached by the same two guys in Dubai Marina. Very persistant and difficult to get rid of. Used exactly the same lines, airport etc. I knew it was a scam though when they said I looked like an Italian model!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd actually like to personally (ok, virtually will have to do ;)) thank this forum for alerting me to this scam some months ago, even before I arrived here last August.

And in my time here I'd not once been approached by anyone selling Amani, Armarni, Hommy Tilfiger or any other fake brand... until last week when I was approached 4 times in 2 days!

So as soon as i heard the "Can you direct me to SZR...?" in an Italian accent, I knew what was coming.

Thanks again guys :):clap2:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts