Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Alondra Luna Nuñez story

Here it is in English: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/23/world/americas/ap-lt-mexico-us-girl-seized.html

And in Spanish: El Universal - Nación - Las 147 horas que cambiaron a Alondra

Apart from the emotional damage done to Alondra and her family, what I find most appalling about this case is that no one involved with it in an official capacity, on either side of the border, is accepting blame or responsibilty to what happened to this child, a legalized form of kidnapping!

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,069 Posts
Here it is in English: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/23/world/americas/ap-lt-mexico-us-girl-seized.html

And in Spanish: El Universal - Nación - Las 147 horas que cambiaron a Alondra

Apart from the emotional damage done to Alondra and her family, what I find most appalling about this case is that no one involved with it in an official capacity, on either side of the border, is accepting blame or responsibilty to what happened to this child, a legalized form of kidnapping!
It is disturbing that it happened. I don't have the same reaction to the officials that you do however. It seems like it was resolved fairly quickly. The bad actor in this case would seem to be Garcia, the woman who kidnapped her.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't agree with that, the woman may have been the instigator, but the judicial system in Mexico shouldn't be so sloppy as to allow such a thing to happen.

This may be a case of monumental ineptitude or plain old fashioned corruption.

Either way it reinforces all the bad things we know about dealing with the judiciary in Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,069 Posts
I don't agree with that, the woman may have been the instigator, but the judicial system in Mexico shouldn't be so sloppy as to allow such a thing to happen.

This may be a case of monumental ineptitude or plain old fashioned corruption.

Either way it reinforces all the bad things we know about dealing with the judiciary in Mexico.
I guess I just have a completely different take on this story.

As I understand it, Dorotea Garcia's daughter was taken to Mexico in 2007 by her father at the age of about 7. Then a week ago, Ms Garcia sees some girl about the same age as her daughter would be, with a scar on her face not in the same place as the scar her daughter had. Garcia kidnaps the girl, the family of the girl complains, and it takes the authorities one week to sort out the truth.

There seems to be only one bad actor in this scenario, and it is not the authorities.

Note added: Apparently, Garcia did not just kidnap the child off the street, but I still feel like she started the whole mess.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,069 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
There seems to be only one bad actor in this scenario, and it is not the authorities.
I’m not sure how you can make a case for the authorities not acting badly in this case.
It was authorities that physically captured her, took her to the civil court, and subsequently sent her to the U.S.
It was the authorities that discounted all the documentary evidence that her parents brought to court, and denied her request for a DNA test: “We are not responsible for conducting investigations or making inquiries,” said the judge. What then was the court hearing for?

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,069 Posts
I’m not sure how you can make a case for the authorities not acting badly in this case.
It was authorities that physically captured her, took her to the civil court, and subsequently sent her to the U.S.
It was the authorities that discounted all the documentary evidence that her parents brought to court, and denied her request for a DNA test: “We are not responsible for conducting investigations or making inquiries,” said the judge. What then was the court hearing for?
I have already acknowledged that there was more to the story than I realized on first reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts