Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I really, no I mean REALLY, like this forum. It's better than all the others imho. But, all the ads and the 'busyness' of the design of the site causes it to take an annoyingly long time to load. Additionally, what is up with the Expat Banking pop-up ad that follows you from page to page and up and down when not logged in! aarrrrggghh

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,049 Posts
Ok, I really, no I mean REALLY, like this forum. It's better than all the others imho. But, all the ads and the 'busyness' of the design of the site causes it to take an annoyingly long time to load. Additionally, what is up with the Expat Banking pop-up ad that follows you from page to page and up and down when not logged in! aarrrrggghh
I will point out your reaction to the forum administrator. He is generally interested in user experiences. I don't know what he can or will do about the banking ad. I hadn't seen it before. I guess I am always logged in.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't mind normal ads because I realize they enable the owners to make the site available at no charge. But I really, really, REALLY hate animated ads of any kind. There's nothing more distracting than something moving or flapping or flashing or popping up when you're trying to read or write. I have a very low opinion of advertisers who resort to such desperate, annoying means of calling attention to themselves.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,049 Posts
I don't mind normal ads because I realize they enable the owners to make the site available at no charge. But I really, really, REALLY hate animated ads of any kind. There's nothing more distracting than something moving or flapping or flashing or popping up when you're trying to read or write. I have a very low opinion of advertisers who resort to such desperate, annoying means of calling attention to themselves.
I agree. I always suspected they have a negative effect, because I avoid any company that resorts to annoying advertising.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I don't have problems with the ads. What bothers me is the roll-over menus at the top. It seems that I can't get back to the main forum menu with hitting one of those roll-overs.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I use a Mac with Firefox and another with Safari; neither have bothersome pop-ups.
Where there are ads, the ones with movement are very distracting; especially with my lousy eyes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't have problems with the ads. What bothers me is the roll-over menus at the top. It seems that I can't get back to the main forum menu with hitting one of those roll-overs.
Yes, I've had trouble getting used to the rollovers, too, and I'm embarrassed to admit how many times I've searched in vain for the Mexico forum link, only to discover that I've rolled over the "Expat Country News" menu by mistake.

BTW, my browser is Google Chrome, and I don't get popups, but I still get that irritating bank ad on the right with pages that flip every time I move between a thread and the list of topics. Again, I don't mind it being there, I just want it to hold still.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm using Chrome and never get popup ads, but somehow this one sneaks under the wire. As I said, when logged in, it doesn't show. Maybe it's not really a popup ad. . . the expat banking one, I mean. You can X it out and it's right back.

Yes, the bouncy ones are annoying too. If any company thinks I'd EVEN CONSIDER buying anything from them they are nutzzzzzzzzz.

I agree about the rollover menus too. Also agree that ads pay the bills.

Apart from that, I have no opinion on the matter! :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm using Chrome and never get popup ads, but somehow this one sneaks under the wire. As I said, when logged in, it doesn't show. Maybe it's not really a popup ad. . . the expat banking one, I mean. You can X it out and it's right back.

Yes, the bouncy ones are annoying too. If any company thinks I'd EVEN CONSIDER buying anything from them they are nutzzzzzzzzz.

I agree about the rollover menus too. Also agree that ads pay the bills.

Apart from that, I have no opinion on the matter! :)
It's not a pop up; it's animated. And it's annoying.

At least it's not the kind that scrolls down the screen with you. I HATE those things.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Correct, it's not a popup but a Flash animation or similar housed on another server. Popups are essentially new windows that open in the browser, so you can tell the browser not to allow them. That doesn't work with this type of ad, which is more like a YouTube video embedded in the web page code to be "viewable" on the page via a link, when it's really located on the YouTube site.

It's actually a clever little ad, but it gets pretty old after the first few thousand times you see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.