Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know who you are, as I was so completely out of it, that I don't think I ever asked your name and if I did I don't think it would have stuck in my memory.

101km down, 1.5 km to go at the end of the Al Qudra track and I had completely hit the wall - unable to even walk with any energy, so a nice cyclist on his way back from the track stopped and assisted me back to my car. This was about 1045am and around the bottom of 'the stick' on the track.

From what I recall, it was a small car, possibly a Toyota or similar and I thought I saw a FlyDubai car park sticker in the windscreen.

He kindly dismantled my bike and put it in the back of his, before transferring it to mine for the drive home - which I managed successfully with another cyclist who got a lift from me to avoid the police patrols in the area. I managed to get him home in Motor City.

If the Samaritan was you, then please do get in touch - I'd like to say thank you personally.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
That wasn't me but pleased to hear you're OK.

Maybe don't push as hard next time?

Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I wasn't pushing hard and it wasn't particularly long.

It was a bit windy but no worse than any other day. Fluid intake appeared okay and I did stop at the shop to take more on board which I wouldn't normally bother to do, but I knew the last 16k were going to be hard. Food went in and stayed in all the way round (and afterwards) but I noticed my HR drop off slowly from about 20km out although at the time it seemed okay.

Perhaps just an off day and after 2 hours sleep pretty much right as rain.

I hope the guy gets in touch as I'd like to help him out - we are trying FB and the cycling clubs but he's only been in Dubai 2-3 weeks so may not have caught up with the system here so far.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Thank you.

I wasn't pushing hard and it wasn't particularly long.

It was a bit windy but no worse than any other day. Fluid intake appeared okay and I did stop at the shop to take more on board which I wouldn't normally bother to do, but I knew the last 16k were going to be hard. Food went in and stayed in all the way round (and afterwards) but I noticed my HR drop off slowly from about 20km out although at the time it seemed okay.

Perhaps just an off day and after 2 hours sleep pretty much right as rain.

I hope the guy gets in touch as I'd like to help him out - we are trying FB and the cycling clubs but he's only been in Dubai 2-3 weeks so may not have caught up with the system here so far.
Hi,
There is something strange with the weather at the moment.
Numerically the temperature is not that high - but it is searingly hot outside.
I think the humidity level is higher than normal for this time of year - and this makes it seem 10 or more degrees hotter than it actually is.
This may explain your problems at the weekend.
Glad you are OK - but be careful!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Also happy to hear you are okay. Have you thought (and it may seem a bit cliched) of writing a letter to 7 Days? Lots of people do that to thank strangers who have helped them.

And take care in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts