Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

One of the travel agent that I am planning to my tickets from is saying that even Thai Airways allows 40kgs of baggage allowance for PR one way flight ticket ...Is that true ? Is somebody aware of such thing recently ?

Thai Airways ticket is costing me almost INR 7,000 less compared to Singapore Airlines.. How is Thai Airways service in general ..Which one do you guys suggest me to go for ?

I am planning to book my tickets tomorrow..so expecting some quick responses :)

Thanks in advance.

--Ujwol

·
Registered
34 Posts
You might want to contact the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
That NGO has several agreements with airlines with a reduced price and more baggage allowance.

I got my tickets with them, flying Qantas, and I got 40% cheaper tickets than if I bought directly from the airline, besides, each adult is allowed to take 4 bags weighting 23 kg each.

Reactions: aanchalk

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Skoropada, every country has different rules when it comes to baggage allowance. 23 KG each bag x 4 comes to 160+ KG per person, are you serious? I have never heard of that much allowance for one person. Check once again i reckon.

Yes Ujwols, Thai gives 40 Kgs, but you have to tell them this is a one way ticket and for migration purpose. they can get smart at time, it is best to get the ticket from an agent, makes life easier. They do the weight bit for you while getting the ticket booked and you do not have to run pillar to post to figure what will happen when you are about to board

·
Registered
34 Posts
Skoropada, every country has different rules when it comes to baggage allowance. 23 KG each bag x 4 comes to 160+ KG per person, are you serious? I have never heard of that much allowance for one person. Check once again i reckon.

Yes Ujwols, Thai gives 40 Kgs, but you have to tell them this is a one way ticket and for migration purpose. they can get smart at time, it is best to get the ticket from an agent, makes life easier. They do the weight bit for you while getting the ticket booked and you do not have to run pillar to post to figure what will happen when you are about to board
Yes, 4 bags 23 kg each, that equals 92 kg per person. IOM is an NGO that helps migrants, that's why they have agreed with several airlines conditions favourable to migrants. My experience is only with LAN and Qantas.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
sorry 92 per person not 160, god, what was i thinking :p, but stil check with the airlines once adn get a written confirmation because i have never heard of 90kgs per person, i have been reading exploring about migration for 5 years now and you are the first, i have heard about IOM but 92 kgs is stil unbelievable

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry 92 per person not 160, god, what was i thinking :p, but stil check with the airlines once adn get a written confirmation because i have never heard of 90kgs per person, i have been reading exploring about migration for 5 years now and you are the first, i have heard about IOM but 92 kgs is stil unbelievable
I'll be travelling in a few months, what I'm metioning here is what an IOM officer told me and what my reservation says.
After I successfuly ship the baggage I'll let you know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey ujwal am a little doubtful about thai airlines providing you a 40kg baggage allowance. I am travelling myself in the month of July and had to get my tickets booked from Jet-Quantas codesharing via singapore from New Delhi, as I couldn't find any other airlines giving me an exempt on baggage! (40kgs)

Thanks,
Kinshuk

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
kinshuk, i got 40 kgs from Singapore Airlines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Singapore airlines is comparitively expensive than Jet airways. Moreover if the bagagge allowed in India-Aus sector is max 40kgs unless you are travelling on a student visa. For a PR the max cap is fixed.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Yes SG is more expensive but going by Jet means you have to change your carrier in Singapore or depending on the flight that you are taking. What if your flight is late for some reason and you miss the other one, if you go by the same carrier and not change them, like in your case, you will be changing from jet to qantas, the qantas flight is not responsible for jet flight, i was suggested to go by one carrier and not two even if they are cheaper, it makes life easier and when you have a 18 hour flight, it is better to go with the best instead of the cheapest, that is my take, everyone thinks differently though

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes SG is more expensive but going by Jet means you have to change your carrier in Singapore or depending on the flight that you are taking. What if your flight is late for some reason and you miss the other one, if you go by the same carrier and not change them, like in your case, you will be changing from jet to qantas, the qantas flight is not responsible for jet flight, i was suggested to go by one carrier and not two even if they are cheaper, it makes life easier and when you have a 18 hour flight, it is better to go with the best instead of the cheapest, that is my take, everyone thinks differently though
if it is codeshare by jet-qantas , it will work the same as travelling in the same airline for the whole trip. Qantas will be answerable to you even if jet is delayed or cancelled since it is a codeshare. lugguage at transit is also managed the same way as it would have been if you were to travel in the same airline for the whole journey.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i dont know about technicalities but I had a child and my agent suggested i go with same carrier rather than changing hands. I know a few people who lost their baggage moving from one carrier to another and there were too many people to ask and too much running around.. I am sure they are answerable btu when you are in a situation of crisis, no one really comes forward and takes the blame

·
Registered
134 Posts
i dont know about technicalities but I had a child and my agent suggested i go with same carrier rather than changing hands. I know a few people who lost their baggage moving from one carrier to another and there were too many people to ask and too much running around.. I am sure they are answerable btu when you are in a situation of crisis, no one really comes forward and takes the blame

code share effectively means that it is the same airline from a passenger's perspective. Singapore Airlines SQ 227 for instance will also be a Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin australia, Egypt Air etc at the same time depending on code share agreements. It should make no difference to a passenger, and the risk is same as having a transit with the same airline. Losing luggage etc depends on how unlucky one is at any point of time, and the airline is answerable for this but there is no difference in the way it is handled be it the same airline or a code share - atleast AFAIK. It is not the same a flying with a different carrier altogether.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Codesharing does mean that you are flying 2 different airlines to reach your destination. But the booking is done by one airliner. Which means since I would be flying in with Jet-Quantas, i have booked my tickets through Jet for the entire journey and thus Jet would be accountable for my transit and luggage loss if any. "crossed-fingers :p"

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i got it but it is just taking a chance and putting extra burden, i personally feel, migration in itself is already such a huge task, we spent 100's of 1000's and then try and save a few thousands, what if you really gt unlucky and things go for a toss..

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
kinshuk, you will do fine, i am sure, i just like keeping a lot of buffer and try and make life as simple as can be :)..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hahah thanks pal..i would do fine! Btw any IT professionals here?!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
my husband is, kinshuk and oz_sg10 is one as well

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
would 1.45 hour of stoppage enough for changing flight at Bangkok? I am finally booking Thai airways..

·
Registered
134 Posts
would 1.45 hour of stoppage enough for changing flight at Bangkok? I am finally booking Thai airways..

1.45 hours should be ok, but to be safe, I would take atleast 3 hours of transit time. A queue or a delay somewhere can easily eat up 1.30 hours, and then it is a hassle to run to catch the flight although the airline is answerable for any delays from their end.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.