Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

I'm traveling next week to Australia to do my landing. I was wondering if I could apply for my TFN before arriving. I have a local postal drop for any correspondence if required.

Do inform,

Best regards,
Vishwanath

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Forum,

I'm traveling next week to Australia to do my landing. I was wondering if I could apply for my TFN before arriving. I have a local postal drop for any correspondence if required.

Do inform,

Best regards,
Vishwanath
You can fill your TFN application and book the appointment online before landing in Australia.

Apply for a TFN on the web | Australian Taxation Office

I hope it will help you.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am a PR living in Melbourne. My wife has been granted the partner visa (309) couple of days ago. I was wondering if we could apply TFN for her before she actually arrives in Australia. I know usually you have to wait before you reach here but because of COVID and travel ban we are not sure of the dates that she would arrive here (and we want to start applying for jobs for her right away).
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
23,859 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am a PR living in Melbourne. My wife has been granted the partner visa (309) couple of days ago. I was wondering if we could apply TFN for her before she actually arrives in Australia. I know usually you have to wait before you reach here but because of COVID and travel ban we are not sure of the dates that she would arrive here (and we want to start applying for jobs for her right away).
You cannot apply offshore
It’s a very short process which can be done the moment she lands
I don’t think any employer will insist on a tfn number for giving employment offer
They just want to be sure of your visa status
Cheers

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hi Guys,
You actually can apply for a TFN offshore, but the process is different, as it is mostly aimed at non-residents who have Australian sourced income and need to file a tax return.

So, under the circumstances it would be simper to apply on arrival.

When she signs-on with her new employer, they will give her a tax file declaration form. She simply has to tick the option that says that you have applied for a TFN but not received it.

The employer than can then withhold income tax at the resident rate for 21 days without being provided a TFN - long enough for one to be issued.

When she recieves it she can provide it to her employer, super fund, bank etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts