Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Administrator
36,533 Posts
Just been talking to my daughter who used to live there. She's managed to contact one friend, but they can't reach others who they know were in the centre.

On La1 atm, they're saying at least 10 dead. There's to be an official press statement in a few minutes.

·
Administrator
36,533 Posts
The official statement gives one fatality & 32 injured with fatalities expected to climb

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
It's being that this has been confirmed as a terrorist attack - currently 2 people reported dead, but there is also talk of several/dozens injured.

·
Administrator
36,533 Posts
It's being that this has been confirmed as a terrorist attack - currently 2 people reported dead, but there is also talk of several/dozens injured.
The official statement a few mins ago gave one dead & 32 injured.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Dreadful lets hope the reports on other media outlets of at least 13 dead are inaccurate and the official statement holds true at 1 ....1 too many even so......

·
Administrator
36,533 Posts
13 now confirmed dead & 50 injured.

Driss Oukabir, the one who has been arrested is from Marseilles.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Dreadful lets hope the reports on other media outlets of at least 13 dead are inaccurate and the official statement holds true at 1 ....1 too many even so......
Sadly its looking like the earlier official statement was very wide of the mark. Absolute tragedy and such a cowardly act. From accounts so far Spanish Police acted swiftly and decisively along with all the other Emergency services.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Woke up this morning to the news of the new attack in Cambrils, and only learned of last night's tragedy from the waiter in a restaurant we were out at last night. Shocking.

I do remember saying a while ago on the forum that it was just as likely there would be further terrorist outrages in Spain as anywhere else, I don't think anywhere is 100% safe any more.

Condolences to the families and friends of all those who were killed, and to the injured.

There is to be a 5-miinute silence in the square in front of our Ayuntamiento today, I'm sure similar things will be happening all over Spain.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
I do remember saying a while ago on the forum that it was just as likely there would be further terrorist outrages in Spain as anywhere else, I don't think anywhere is 100% safe any more.
Well, yes, of course. Why would anyone think that Spain would no longer be targeted?
As it's practically impossible to safeguard a city, or town like Cambrils then how can a country be protected? Especially when the perpertators are prepared to die for their cause? Only a certain amount can be done.
Be cautious, be on your guard and live life as best you can.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Would help if YouTube removed all those clips from Isis encouraging lone wolves to mow people down and replace them with Muslim preachers condemning terrorism.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Death toll now 14. It appears that the US intelligence agencies warned the Spanish that they had credible knowledge of a likely attack in Las Ramblas.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Death toll now 14. It appears that the US intelligence agencies warned the Spanish that they had credible knowledge of a likely attack in Las Ramblas.
Sadly, that doesn't mean Spain could have done anything to prevent the attack - and they were already on high alert.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts