Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Quick tenancy renewal question for those that have gone through the process before. Renewal is not for a month formally, but being rushed by landlord's POA.

I've signed the contract and asked for the landlord to also sign and give me a copy, but am being told I will get that only after I've transferred the rent. Is this the normal sequence or should I insist on signed contract before paying the next year's rent?

·
Banned
913 Posts
Hi folks,

Quick tenancy renewal question for those that have gone through the process before. Renewal is not for a month formally, but being rushed by landlord's POA.

I've signed the contract and asked for the landlord to also sign and give me a copy, but am being told I will get that only after I've transferred the rent. Is this the normal sequence or should I insist on signed contract before paying the next year's rent?

How did you do the contract when you first moved?

For me, i was with the landlord, we signed a contract (together) i handed over a cheque.

I'd expect no different for when i want to renew..

My paranoia and trust issues does not like what your landlord is saying.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm feeling the same to be honest! An agent handled it first time around, but landlord's POA has approached me directly for the renewal.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I'm feeling the same to be honest! An agent handled it first time around, but landlord's POA has approached me directly for the renewal.
Depending on location of the LL, can you not ask for a meeting to make a transfer, ie contract swap for cheque.

Look at it like this, in construction you would never send money for material/plant/subcontract with out a sign contract/Letter of Intent or LPO. Why should your rent be any different. It's still business.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely get a signed contract first before handing over any rent.

At the very worst do it at the same time as Iggles suggests but never hand over the cheques without a signed contract.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
If the landlords POA has a genuine POA - then there would be no reason not to give you a properly signed contract at the time of cheque handover.
Otherwise there would always be a chance that the landlord did not get their money and without a contract - they would be knocking on your door to evict you.
This has happened to people that paid rents to some agents - who then did not pass them on to the landlord.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Landlord isn't based in Dubai, but POA (who I've also never met) is a family member. I have asked for signed contract before I release any funds.

It's stuff like this that makes life here an unnecessary stress. Everyone's trying something or another on. Maybe I should have involved the agent for renewal purposes, but they didn't seem all that interested when I approached them about other problems I was facing in terms of outstanding fees etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts