Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be including a tenancy agreement as proof of relationship. This is our first application and we're applying from outside the UK

We have lived at the property for four years but we only received a formal tenancy agreement when the owner took over management from the agent in January. By the time of application it will be 11 months old.

If we declare that we have lived at our present address for four years, what are the chances of previous agreements being demanded by the ECO?

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Are you married? If so, it doesn't really matter, showing that you have lived together in the past (even 11 months ago) is useful to determine that you have a genuine relationship as husband and wife.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you married? If so, it doesn't really matter, showing that you have lived together in the past (even 11 months ago) is useful to determine that you have a genuine relationship as husband and wife.
Thanks, I was more worried about the fact that the tenancy agreement doesn't match the length of stay at the property.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
It shouldn't be an issue, because how long you lived together in a certain place is inconsequential to your application. If you were unmarried partners it would probably be an issue since you would have to prove 2 years' residence together, but as married spouses you aren't actually required to have lived together at all.

Reactions: seanmcint

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It shouldn't be an issue, because how long you lived together in a certain place is inconsequential to your application. If you were unmarried partners it would probably be an issue since you would have to prove 2 years' residence together, but as married spouses you aren't actually required to have lived together at all.
Great, thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What is the scope of the accommodation?
Is it a house where more than one family live?

It is possible the Agent has broken the Law, as to not have a formal agreement for 3 years could be Illegal. This in itself lead one to believe it is an HMO.
What exactly does the Tenancy Agreement specify as accommodation solely for your use?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the scope of the accommodation?
Is it a house where more than one family live?

It is possible the Agent has broken the Law, as to not have a formal agreement for 3 years could be Illegal. This in itself lead one to believe it is an HMO.
What exactly does the Tenancy Agreement specify as accommodation solely for your use?
I'm not talking about where we will live in the UK but where we currently live together in Africa. We are submitting our tenancy agreement as proof of subsisting relationship.

The agent was wrong not to give an agreement but this is the wild west.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'm not talking about where we will live in the UK but where we currently live together in Africa. We are submitting our tenancy agreement as proof of subsisting relationship.

The agent was wrong not to give an agreement but this is the wild west.
OK, that is different. However because you are in a different duresdiction and as you state "Wild West", you would be wise to produce evidence of Rent Payments and if possible an Official Stamp on the Tenancy Agreement.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, that is different. However because you are in a different duresdiction and as you state "Wild West", you would be wise to produce evidence of Rent Payments and if possible an Official Stamp on the Tenancy Agreement.
Ok, confused now because Clever octopus said

The tenancy agreement is stamped by a lawyer but in light of the above do I really need to send two years worth of bank statements showing payments?

I wonder Nyclon, what's your view on this?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ok, confused now because Clever octopus said

The tenancy agreement is stamped by a lawyer but in light of the above do I really need to send two years worth of bank statements showing payments?

I wonder Nyclon, what's your view on this?
Stamped by a Lawyer is good enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.