Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a transient worker hoping to move to France. I have only temporary employment but what are the conditions for me to stay in France. What effect will this have on my pension rights and other benefits. I am a uk citizen do I have the right to french social services could I use my temporary work status to claim right to stay and do I need a carte de sejour or any other license?

·
Administrator
50,387 Posts
If you're British (or any other EU nationality) you have the right to live and work in France for as long as you like. Depending on the nature of your employment, you will most likely be enrolled in the French social insurance system during the term of your employment (unless you have a UK employer who is sending you to France and can work some of the social security treaty conditions).

Your pension rights will depend on where you are living when you retire - at least as far as the national pension plans are concerned. There are treaties between the various countries, but generally they will count your time worked in another country, though usually not your salary level.

As far as other benefits are concerned, you have to qualify like any French national would. For health care you should be covered pretty much right away if you're having deductions from your pay, though it may take a few weeks to get your carte vitale. (France is on a reimbursement system anyhow - you pay the doctor or lab, and then you are reimbursed by the sécu directly into your bank account.) For unemployment, you have to have worked a certain amount of time before you're entitled to payments - and you have to register with the Pole d'emploi and make an effort to find another job, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're British (or any other EU nationality) you have the right to live and work in France for as long as you like. Depending on the nature of your employment, you will most likely be enrolled in the French social insurance system during the term of your employment (unless you have a UK employer who is sending you to France and can work some of the social security treaty conditions).

Your pension rights will depend on where you are living when you retire - at least as far as the national pension plans are concerned. There are treaties between the various countries, but generally they will count your time worked in another country, though usually not your salary level.

As far as other benefits are concerned, you have to qualify like any French national would. For health care you should be covered pretty much right away if you're having deductions from your pay, though it may take a few weeks to get your carte vitale. (France is on a reimbursement system anyhow - you pay the doctor or lab, and then you are reimbursed by the sécu directly into your bank account.) For unemployment, you have to have worked a certain amount of time before you're entitled to payments - and you have to register with the Pole d'emploi and make an effort to find another job, etc.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev,the fact is that my employer is a UK company and that therefore I will not be able to claim the worker status of other workers. Would you know if its possible for me to gain a carte de sejour or similar to augmente my status while working in France.Best wishes, Rob

·
Administrator
50,387 Posts
Thanks Bev,the fact is that my employer is a UK company and that therefore I will not be able to claim the worker status of other workers. Would you know if its possible for me to gain a carte de sejour or similar to augmente my status while working in France.Best wishes, Rob
Nowadays it's my understanding that they won't give an EU national a carte de séjour - even if you are considered resident in France. But to be resident, you'd probably have to be physically present in France for at least 183 days out of a calendar year.

You've got every right to stay in France after your temporary employment is done. But then you're kind of on your own as far as finding work - and right now that's not the easiest thing to do.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.