Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anybody give me the latest information on this?

I have a house in spain which I own (more or less) and as I move towards retirement and the kids go to college I see myself spending more and more time in the Spanish House. Maybe even spend a couple of years renting out the UK house (and stashing away a bit of cash towards the UK mortgage) and being in Spain full time for say 24 months but not making a complete move. In the long run I think the intention would be to stay a UK national but divide the time close to 50/50 with Spain.

Is this do-able without too many headaches does anybody know? I guess Id want to retain my UK car, bank accounts pay UK Tax etc, I dont mind "leaving" for a month or so and going off touring or something if that helps me comply with any residence rules.

Graham

·
Administrator
36,467 Posts
Hi

Can anybody give me the latest information on this?

I have a house in spain which I own (more or less) and as I move towards retirement and the kids go to college I see myself spending more and more time in the Spanish House. Maybe even spend a couple of years renting out the UK house (and stashing away a bit of cash towards the UK mortgage) and being in Spain full time for say 24 months but not making a complete move. In the long run I think the intention would be to stay a UK national but divide the time close to 50/50 with Spain.

Is this do-able without too many headaches does anybody know? I guess Id want to retain my UK car, bank accounts pay UK Tax etc, I dont mind "leaving" for a month or so and going off touring or something if that helps me comply with any residence rules.

Graham
:welcome:

you won't/can't change nationality unless you live here for 10 years :D

I'm guessing you mean 'residency'?

after 90 days here you should/must register as resident - but as far as tax is concerened you are automaitically tax resident in Spain if you spend more than 182 days here per year

you have no choice in teh matter

if you do a search of the forum you'll find lots of discussions about this

as far as the car is concerned, if you are resident (after 90 days that's automiatic) you have get a UK plated car changed onto Spanish plates - again, no choice in the matter if you are to be legal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah OK

Thanks

and yes I am mixing up some different things. I could possibly keep the number of days down (by touring europe etc in our campervan) under 182 days but would it be enough to avoid the 90 day rule by arranging things such that I am never actually continuously in the country for 90 days? Im not trying to be dodgy just make a legal plan that works for a couple of years until we make a final residence decision

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Thanks

and yes I am mixing up some different things. I could possibly keep the number of days down (by touring europe etc in our campervan) under 182 days but would it be enough to avoid the 90 day rule by arranging things such that I am never actually continuously in the country for 90 days? Im not trying to be dodgy just make a legal plan that works for a couple of years until we make a final residence decision
Residencey is required after 90 consecutive days. 89 & leave & the clock starts again .
Fiscal residencey is 182+ days cumulative. So you can technically be fiscally resident without being a resident & vice -versa.
If you are here for more than 183 cumulative days you will be liable for tax declarations.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Residencia is not to be feared, life is a lot easier with residencia than without. The Spanish work on identity numbers, signing for a delivered parcel, buying a car, house, computer, opening a bank account etc etc, they need your personal identity number, and with residencia this you would have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for comments

Residencia is not to be feared, life is a lot easier with residencia than without. The Spanish work on identity numbers, signing for a delivered parcel, buying a car, house, computer, opening a bank account etc etc, they need your personal identity number, and with residencia this you would have.
I dont have any issues really with Resdencia but just for this couple of years I wouldnt want to to go changing number plates and what not so I need to see what I can do legally. I suspect that in a couple of years time Ill settle one way or the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts