Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone here is knowledgeable enough to help me out. My situation is a little unusual and I would appreciate your patience and guidance.

I have two nationalities/valid passports with the same name, birth of date, etc.

When I got married to my Filipino wife back in 2017, I used my previous nationality and the PSA marriage certificate states that nationality.

Since then, I acquired a new nationality, and I have used this new nationality as my primary one, and have since then stopped using my older one (which is mentioned on the PSA marriage certificate)

This includes things like:

Covid 19 Vaccination Certificates.
Employment Visa in the current country I'm in.
Police Clearance Certificate (when I get one)
Last Tourist Visa to the Philippines.

The list goes on.

I spoke to a number of agencies in the Philippines who process the TRV for a fee (anywhere between PHP 30,000 to PHP 90,000 not including all costs)

I have since then received conflicting information about the required documents. Many simply didn't reply to my emails.

One company stated that I needed to get something called a "Certificate of Dual Citizenship" from my current nationality's embassy.

Upon referring me to a lawyer to help me acquire it, the lawyer was unable to assist me and seemed as lost and as confused as I was, and when questioned about whether my passports were proof of my citizenships he was hesitant to give me a clear answer but said that it should be alright, but that it would be better to have this "Certificate of Dual Citizenship" to be on the safe side.

I tried looking up the "Certificate of Dual Citizenship" and most of the search results were relevant to Filipinos who have more than one citizenship. I couldn't find that any other country provided such a document except for a very few odd ones. I called my embassy and they said that they don't provide such a document.

Meanwhile, another company stated that it should be alright to simply just hand in both passports.

A third company said that the TRV application will only be processed based on the nationality stated within the PSA Marriage Certificate, and that the passport with the Tourist Visa should match said nationality.

I'm hoping someone here would have solid information regarding:

1) What happens if I arrive with a tourist visa on a passport that does NOT match the one stated on the PSA marriage certificate, given that I have a valid passport that DOES match the nationality stated on the PSA marriage certificate (without a tourist visa).

2) What happens if I arrive with a tourist visa on a passport that DOES match the one stated on the PSA marriage certificate, given that most of my other legal documents such as Covid 19 Certifications and Police Clearances state that I am of another nationality. Will I most likely face issues somewhere down the line?

Is it really this complicated? Will they not consider that some people have more than one nationality?

Thanks for your time,

- Snade

· Super Moderator
5,213 Posts
In a nutshell....you're trying to get around the Philippines reciprocity agreement in order to avail the 13a visa? Information on reciprocity agreement Philippines

(The Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is given to foreign nationals whose country does not have an existing reciprocity agreement in the Philippines but have contracted a valid marriage, recognized by Philippine laws, with a Filipino citizen).

I've only run across one other individual from Africa on our forum that had an issue trying to get the 13a Visa but as you know if there's no reciprocity agreement with your country of origin you can't avail the 13a. Try this law firm here they have helped several of our expats, also make sure to download the "WhatsApp" application, they use this as a form of communication Jamesbiron law firm

I wish you well Snade.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a nutshell....you're trying to get around the Philippines reciprocity agreement in order to avail the 13a visa? Information on reciprocity agreement Philippines

(The Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is given to foreign nationals whose country does not have an existing reciprocity agreement in the Philippines but have contracted a valid marriage, recognized by Philippine laws, with a Filipino citizen).

I've only run across one other individual from Africa on our forum that had an issue trying to get the 13a Visa but as you know if there's no reciprocity agreement with your country of origin you can't avail the 13a. Try this law firm here they have helped several of our expats, also make sure to download the "WhatsApp" application, they use this as a form of communication Jamesbiron law firm

I wish you well Snade.
Unfortunately, both of my nationalities are not eligible for the Permanent Residence Visa.

Both do not have an existing reciprocity agreement.

I am simply trying to get the Temporary Residence Visa without facing any issues, and I'm trying to prepare in advance.

I got conflicting information and I don't know what to expect.

I was told by some that the passport with a tourist visa should match the nationality stated in the Marriage Certificate, as they will not entertain another passport with another nationality with a tourist visa, even if I have both passports (including the one on the marriage certificate)

Others have said that it should be alright as long as I hand in both passports.

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Not really up to speed with all this but and only my opinion. As a foreign national without reciprocal visitor visa obligations and only my understanding is that you will need to apply for a visitor visa from the Philippines embassy in your own country to travel here. No different to a Filipino traveling to some 150 countries without reciprocal agreements.

Not sure of your dual nationalities nor the laws in those countries but if married to a Filipina then why not apply for a 13a visa from your own country? Balakbayan visa but you need to have your wife with you entering the Philippines if that is reciprocal for your country,

A side note and as our esteemed moderator mentioned circumventing the laws won't work. If your wife is here in PH. and you are in your country without reciprocal arrangements, both passports then you need to apply for a tourist/visitor visa.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not really up to speed with all this but and only my opinion. As a foreign national without reciprocal visitor visa obligations and only my understanding is that you will need to apply for a visitor visa from the Philippines embassy in your own country to travel here. No different to a Filipino traveling to some 150 countries without reciprocal agreements.

Not sure of your dual nationalities nor the laws in those countries but if married to a Filipina then why not apply for a 13a visa from your own country? Balakbayan visa but you need to have your wife with you entering the Philippines if that is reciprocal for your country,

A side note and as our esteemed moderator mentioned circumventing the laws won't work. If your wife is here in PH. and you are in your country without reciprocal arrangements, both passports then you need to apply for a tourist/visitor visa.

Good luck.

Cheers, Steve.
Hello and thanks for the reply.

There are no issues with applying for a tourist visa, it's required for me to enter the country. The confusion I'm facing is for applying for the temporary residence visa as I have 2 nationalities.

I am not trying to circumvent any laws :ROFLMAO: and I am not sure how people are getting this impression, my initial post is very straight forward:

My marriage certificate states that I am nationality X, My current primary nationality is nationality Y.

A lot of legal documents now state that I am nationality Y.

I want to know if its okay to use Nationality Y when my marriage certificate states that I am nationality X.

I have valid passports for both Nationalities X and Y.

If I arrive with a tourist visa on Nationality X, a lot of my legal documents such as Covid Vaccines state that I am nationality Y.

If I arrive with a tourist visa on Nationality Y, my marriage certificate states that I am nationality X.

I don't gain anything by doing this. Both of my nationalities do not have a reciprocal agreement with the Philippines.

I just want to apply for the Temporary Residence Visa, and I want to know if anyone has any information on whether they will recognize that I have more than 1 nationality, and accept the application.

It's a simple matter of looking at two passports, and recognizing that I am the same person. (I am being told that this is not possible)

Thanks,

Snade

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems that I made a mistake by mentioning (13A) in the title which refers to the permanent residence visa.

What I'm looking at is the TRV (Temporary Residence Visa) which is not the same.

Apologies for the confusion.

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Simply apply with your current passport for a visitor visa from your country to the Philippines, many options 30 days or multi entry 12 months. A TRV go talk to your embassy and they will point you in the right direction, no need for expensive attorney's, get the info straight from the horses mouth.

Cheers, Steve.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Simply apply with your current passport for a visitor visa from your country to the Philippines, many options 30 days or multi entry 12 months. A TRV go talk to your embassy and they will point you in the right direction, no need for expensive attorney's, get the info straight from the horses mouth.

Cheers, Steve.
Thanks for the advice Steve.

Will be giving this method a shot :)

· Registered
296 Posts
I would have thought that whether you're married to a local or not is immaterial, when simply applying for a TRV...unless you were entering the country (Phils) WITH your spouse, and wishing to avail of the Balikbayan 'privilege'.

As to the finer points of your dual nationality concerns, why not just contact the Bureau of Immigration here, and ask ?

I can't see you having any particular problems, as long as you have all the relevant and genuine documents with you.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMO but I think there is more going on here than a simple entry to the Philippines. The OP won't give his country/s passports only X and Y.

Cheers, Steve.
I prefer privacy on the internet. Where I'm from is irrelevant to my question.

I'm not necessarily an evil person out to circumvent and break laws based on this.

I would have thought that whether you're married to a local or not is immaterial, when simply applying for a TRV...unless you were entering the country (Phils) WITH your spouse, and wishing to avail of the Balikbayan 'privilege'.

As to the finer points of your dual nationality concerns, why not just contact the Bureau of Immigration here, and ask ?

I can't see you having any particular problems, as long as you have all the relevant and genuine documents with you.
Thanks for your reply,

The Balikbayan privilege Visa is only available to nationals of countries with a reciprocity agreement, who are married to Filipinos.

The TRV is only applicable to nationals of Filipino spouses whose countries do not have a reciprocity agreement.

The PRV is applicable to nationals of Filipino spouses whose countries do have a reciprocity agreement.

I can't contact the Bureau of immigration and ask because I'm not in the Philippines, and because they generally don't answer calls.

I do have relevant and genuine documents with me, but since I like to prepare myself before spending $$ on tickets, visas, and hotels I contacted multiple agencies in the Philippines that handle TRV applications and was given conflicting information (as mentioned in my initial post)

Anyhow I have contacted the law firm that was referred to me by M.C.A and will post an update here with an answer for other people who may be facing the same issues in the future.

Thanks anyways,

- Snade

· Super Moderator
5,213 Posts

I don't think the Balikbyan privildge will work, his country doesn't have a reciprocity agreement.

· Super Moderator
5,213 Posts
I prefer privacy on the internet. Where I'm from is irrelevant to my question.

I'm not necessarily an evil person out to circumvent and break laws based on this.

Thanks for your reply,

The Balikbayan privilege Visa is only available to nationals of countries with a reciprocity agreement, who are married to Filipinos.

The TRV is only applicable to nationals of Filipino spouses whose countries do not have a reciprocity agreement.

The PRV is applicable to nationals of Filipino spouses whose countries do have a reciprocity agreement.

I can't contact the Bureau of immigration and ask because I'm not in the Philippines, and because they generally don't answer calls.

I do have relevant and genuine documents with me, but since I like to prepare myself before spending $$ on tickets, visas, and hotels I contacted multiple agencies in the Philippines that handle TRV applications and was given conflicting information (as mentioned in my initial post)

Anyhow I have contacted the law firm that was referred to me by M.C.A and will post an update here with an answer for other people who may be facing the same issues in the future.

Thanks anyways,

- Snade
Here's an official Facebook link to the Philippine Bureau of Immigration they do answer their messages but sometimes they are vague answers, in your case it's a mouthful so if you get to the point and shorten your question they might be able to answer you, especially if you list the countries. Official Facebook page of the PBI

· Registered
13 Posts
Snade,
This is a long shot, but I'm hoping someone here is knowledgeable enough to help me out. My situation is a little unusual and I would appreciate your patience and guidance.

I have two nationalities/valid passports with the same name, birth of date, etc.

When I got married to my Filipino wife back in 2017, I used my previous nationality and the PSA marriage certificate states that nationality.

Since then, I acquired a new nationality, and I have used this new nationality as my primary one, and have since then stopped using my older one (which is mentioned on the PSA marriage certificate)

This includes things like:

Covid 19 Vaccination Certificates.
Employment Visa in the current country I'm in.
Police Clearance Certificate (when I get one)
Last Tourist Visa to the Philippines.

The list goes on.

I spoke to a number of agencies in the Philippines who process the TRV for a fee (anywhere between PHP 30,000 to PHP 90,000 not including all costs)

I have since then received conflicting information about the required documents. Many simply didn't reply to my emails.

One company stated that I needed to get something called a "Certificate of Dual Citizenship" from my current nationality's embassy.

Upon referring me to a lawyer to help me acquire it, the lawyer was unable to assist me and seemed as lost and as confused as I was, and when questioned about whether my passports were proof of my citizenships he was hesitant to give me a clear answer but said that it should be alright, but that it would be better to have this "Certificate of Dual Citizenship" to be on the safe side.

I tried looking up the "Certificate of Dual Citizenship" and most of the search results were relevant to Filipinos who have more than one citizenship. I couldn't find that any other country provided such a document except for a very few odd ones. I called my embassy and they said that they don't provide such a document.

Meanwhile, another company stated that it should be alright to simply just hand in both passports.

A third company said that the TRV application will only be processed based on the nationality stated within the PSA Marriage Certificate, and that the passport with the Tourist Visa should match said nationality.

I'm hoping someone here would have solid information regarding:

1) What happens if I arrive with a tourist visa on a passport that does NOT match the one stated on the PSA marriage certificate, given that I have a valid passport that DOES match the nationality stated on the PSA marriage certificate (without a tourist visa).

2) What happens if I arrive with a tourist visa on a passport that DOES match the one stated on the PSA marriage certificate, given that most of my other legal documents such as Covid 19 Certifications and Police Clearances state that I am of another nationality. Will I most likely face issues somewhere down the line?

Is it really this complicated? Will they not consider that some people have more than one nationality?

Thanks for your time,

- Snade
Snade, I asked my golfing buddy who works with BID and he said follow the PSA marriage certificate info if applying for TRV because verification will be based on the marriage certificate.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Snade,

Snade, I asked my golfing buddy who works with BID and he said follow the PSA marriage certificate info if applying for TRV because verification will be based on the marriage certificate.
I think this is the most likely answer, and the safest way to approach this.

I hope I won't have issues when arriving as I'll need to present the eTravel to prove that I'm vaccinated and etc, and those say that I'm of another nationality.

Hopefully they'll accept it as long as I have the corresponding passport.

The law firm is still gathering information and will update here in case they give me different information.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help an internet stranger out.

- Snade

1 - 20 of 22 Posts