Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am going to move to DC from June to the end of August (3 months) and I am looking for a furnished studio/ 1 bed apt. On craiglist there are so many fake ads and corporate apts are so expensive (3000$) :eek:
If you have any tip / offer, I would be very grateful!

many thanks!!

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
What are you finding in the District of Columbia for $100/night? Inside D.C. that's rather low.

I assume you found something outside the District of Columbia, somewhere in Maryland or Virginia, for $100/night. What area are you looking for? What transportation options? Where will you need to get to each day, and how? Greater D.C. is a huge area.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
3000/month is not unreasonable for furnished and short term in DC. You may want to look into extended stay hotels on subway lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your answer!

For 100$/per day Ive found a very small studio in Georgetown and a 1 small one-bedroom apt in shaw. I will do an internship downtown and would need an access to a metro station. I am mainly searching in dupont / downtown / foggy bottom -farragut. But other safe areas are fine as long as i can reach a metro station.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
You could check with Georgetown itself to see if you can get summer housing. I see they offer non-Georgetown interns single rooms for $392/week if you stay for at least 7 weeks. (Though elsewhere on the page they say that singles are not guaranteed.) You can only stay through August 2, however, so you'll have to find other accommodation past that date if needed.

Catholic University offers much the same. And GWU. And American University, though they have availability later, through August 15.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes i did on Friday (by email). Hopefully they will answer on Monday... But I am not sure that they can help :(

·
Administrator
49,836 Posts
One other option. Check the website for Extended Stay America or one of the other large "suites" hotel chains. Chances are, you won't find any directly in DC, but there are some suites chains (like Extended Stay) that can offer suite accommodation (i.e. with a kitchenette and other amenities) for less than $100 a night. The individual hotel write-ups should tell you what the nearest public transportation options are.

At most of these kinds of places, the rates vary based on how long you're staying, so you have to put in your dates to get a valid quote. For 3 months, you ought to be able to get a pretty good rate, though the big issue will become how available public transit is into DC.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your answers. I have another question. I have found an apartment for 3 months but I was asked 1 month deposit (and the payment of one month the 1st day). Is it possible to give the deposit to a bank or another official entity (instead of giving it to the landlord)? :confused:

Merci!!!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thank you all for your answers. I have another question. I have found an apartment for 3 months but I was asked 1 month deposit (and the payment of one month the 1st day). Is it possible to give the deposit to a bank or another official entity (instead of giving it to the landlord)? :confused:

Merci!!!
One or two months security deposit are pretty standard. I would not sign a lease, pay a deposit or anything related to it prior to actually seing the apartment and reading the contract. All of it!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Is there someone you can trust who can check it out? A colleague? Because without your money, they probably will not keep the apartment of the market, since they don't know they can trust you to rent it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts